PDA

View Full Version : OT - What A Royal Wedding & Some Cool Airplanes Have In Common

c87
April 29th, 2011, 04:39
Living here in the States I turned on the morning news and just happened to catch the royal wedding at the point where Prince William and Kate come out for their 'first kiss'. The cool part was when moments later, a Lancaster bomber flanked by a Hurricane and a Spit flew over, while the British commentator made note that these were the aircraft that kept Britain free in the dark days of 1940.

I just love seeing old warbirds fly.

Congrats to the Royal Couple and Great Britain on your day of celebration.

mal998
April 29th, 2011, 04:53
Congratulations to all our British friends on this day of celebration.

Seeing those warbirds fly past reminded me of the strong bond that exists between Great Britain and the United States and how much we have in common.

This is most definately a day to be enjoyed!
Cheers :ernae:

stiz
April 29th, 2011, 05:55
Congratulations to all our British friends on this day of celebration.

Yes because now its all over with we can get back to normanl and not have their mugs shoved in our faces every second and have something else on the news! :monkies:

Bruce Thompson
April 29th, 2011, 06:08
Sorry you feel that way Stiz, you will learn as you get older that we do have a lot to be proud of in this Country.

ZsoltB
April 29th, 2011, 06:09
Congratulations to the Royal Couple!

:salute::applause::salute::applause:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUejU69Q7_Y

:unitedkingdom:

stiz
April 29th, 2011, 06:21
Sorry you feel that way Stiz, you will learn as you get older that we do have a lot to be proud of in this Country.

Dont get me wrong i wish em all the best etc .. i'm just tired of hearing about it everywhere i go. If it had been a bit of coverage of the rehearsels, then the tv coverage today, then maybe a recap tomorrow then fine .. but its been pretty much non stop since it was announced.

dvj
April 29th, 2011, 07:16
I you read Kate's lips she appears to be saying "Oh look William, it's the A2A Supermarine Mk II with cannons".

n4gix
April 29th, 2011, 07:17
Dont get me wrong i wish em all the best etc .. i'm just tired of hearing about it everywhere i go. If it had been a bit of coverage of the rehearsels, then the tv coverage today, then maybe a recap tomorrow then fine .. but its been pretty much non stop since it was announced.

Stitz, I sympathize with you, but...

...I thank God for the wedding myself! At the very least it's allowed me to (so far at least) not have to endure hours and hours of folks blathering endlessly about my President's friggin birth certificate! :angryfir:

Bomber_12th
April 29th, 2011, 07:30
I didn't see it, but now knowing about the flyover, I may have liked to have just seen that bit.

It is a bit different in the UK, regarding the specific aircraft as seen in the flyover, as those that took part aren't privately owned warbirds, but are under the ownership/operation by the UK government, as part of the RAF's long-running Battle of Britain Memorial Flight, which is an active establishment of the RAF, using RAF pilots and crew. For this very reason, the British government honors their aviation/combat history a bit differently then here in the States, by preserving and flying these historic aircraft. The flyover seems fitting, with Prince William being an active serving member of the RAF himself.

I've also heard that the couple, unlike other members of the family, remained outside to take in the second return pass, which is a very nice gesture on their part!

stiz
April 29th, 2011, 07:53
yup the RAF own the BBMF and keep the planes flying. Wish they'd put on more of a show, just 7 planes, with 3 being the BBMF. Suprised they didnt get the reds back for the weekend actually, guess thier to busy enduring the hardships of cyprus! :icon_lol:

heywooood
April 29th, 2011, 07:57

...I thank God for the wedding myself! At the very least it's allowed me to (so far at least) not have to endure hours and hours of folks blathering endlessly about my President's friggin birth certificate! :angryfir:

AGREED -

and I will add that it was a brilliant show - a tour de force of class, reserve, splendor, and courage...loved the Aston Martin convertible.

The Lady Dianna would have been proud of those two boys - and Catherine seems to be of the same quality.

Well Done, England

skyhawka4m
April 29th, 2011, 08:08

amen to that.....!

robcap
April 29th, 2011, 08:13
I you read Kate's lips she appears to be saying "Oh look William, it's the A2A Supermarine Mk II with cannons".
That's funny:icon_lol:

kilo delta
April 29th, 2011, 09:56

I thought that had been sorted out???....

He's Irish!

At least you'd think that he was what with the impending visit here in a few weeks time!:icon_lol:

mal998
April 29th, 2011, 10:08
If you boys think you got it bad, just imagine having to endure Donald Trumps ugly kisser every time you turn on the TV...nah, you don't have it nearly as bad as you think... :icon_lol:

jim
April 29th, 2011, 10:14
Say what you want boys, but the UK is the only other country I'd fight for besides the USA.:salute::jump::applause:Nice going Wills & Kate.

Naismith
April 29th, 2011, 11:19

soooooo funny, she could easily have confused it with the RealAir one, she is after all only a woman.
Running for cover now.
:jump::jump:

JAllen
April 29th, 2011, 11:40
The papparazzi wil keep Will and kate in our faces for years to come. It's not going away at all but just a beginning. At least she ain't bad to look at!!!!! :icon_lol:

Jim

kilo delta
April 29th, 2011, 11:47
The papparazzi wil keep Will and kate in our faces for years to come. It's not going away at all but just a beginning. At least she ain't bad to look at!!!!! :icon_lol:

Jim

And neither is her sister!

Mmmmmm :icon_lol:

Roger
April 29th, 2011, 12:10
We do this sort of thing so well. They looked great and I did fill up a couple of times.

Matt Wynn
April 29th, 2011, 13:42
We do this sort of thing so well. They looked great and I did fill up a couple of times.

likewise Roger, was a great day, weather held out, was great to see the royal family (Yes, i'm a royalist... :icon_lol: )

Stiz, reds weren't there as you say as they are in Cyprus and they don't have their PDA as of yet (Public Display Authorization), i think that is this weekend they're set to get it...

again i think we can all say though... Congrats to HRH Prince William and Catherine Middleton, ladies....gentlemen.... raise your glasses... "To the happy couple and may almighty god bless their future together and God save the queen" :ernae:

Bruce Thompson
April 29th, 2011, 13:56
Well said Smoothie:applause::applause::applause:

AussieMan
April 29th, 2011, 14:56
Yes because now its all over with we can get back to normanl and not have their mugs shoved in our faces every second and have something else on the news! :monkies:

Not only did ALL the tv channels here in Australia have this boring show on but one even delayed their Friday Night Rugby League to bore us to death with some wedding of no consequence.

Add to that another problem we are experiencing here is some kid who has a strange effect on pre-teen and mid teen girls (Justin Boober I think his name is and comes from Canada). It appears his favourite colour is purple and these young girls dress in that colour and seem to go into spasms of raptourous screaming and fainting.

PLEASE GIVE US A BREAK!!!!

Cheers
Pat

Roger
April 29th, 2011, 15:22
Well Pat,
You've made me close this thread. Good bloody luck to you mate!