PDA

View Full Version : Sad news regarding Bettie Page

Odie
December 5th, 2008, 21:44
While hospitalized for a bout with pneumonia, the 85 year old Ms.Page suffered a heart attack. She was moved to another hospital where she is reportedly in a coma. She has been living in Los Angeles now for a number of years.

Very sad news for me since I have been a fan of her's for decades. I hope that she recovers speedily.

Snuffy
December 6th, 2008, 05:02
Prayers sent.

:engel016:

Dain Arns
December 6th, 2008, 05:03
In my youthful College days, I found a great comic book series by Dave Stevens, called "The Rocketeer" (Way better than the Disney-ized version). Dave as you know was a fan of Bettie Page and had a knack for drawing her. He's the one in effect who introduced me to Bettie Page. I think he introduced Bettie to a whole new set of fans. I always enjoyed the look, style, and story of Dave's "Rocketeer". Sadly, we lost Dave this year. Very sad to hear about Bettie's health issues, now as well. Here's a few of Dave's pics, with a couple of Bettie. I pray for a speedy recovery for her.

cheezyflier
December 6th, 2008, 06:26
although she is famous for being totally hot, she was actually quite a bible scholar after she caught fire for the Lord. she attended 3 different bible colleges.

Panther_99FS
December 6th, 2008, 06:27
:frown:...

Odie
December 6th, 2008, 07:38
In my youthful College days, I found a great comic book series by Dave Stevens, called "The Rocketeer" (Way better than the Disney-ized version). Dave as you know was a fan of Bettie Page and had a knack for drawing her. He's the one in effect who introduced me to Bettie Page. I think he introduced Bettie to a whole new set of fans. I always enjoyed the look, style, and story of Dave's "Rocketeer". Sadly, we lost Dave this year. Very sad to hear about Bettie's health issues, now as well. Here's a few of Dave's pics, with a couple of Bettie. I pray for a speedy recovery for her.

Dave and Bettie actually became very close friends and he drove her every week to cash her social security checks and do errands. He was instrumental (along with her brother) in seeing that she got some payment for her images that have been used over the years as well as setting up new ventures that would help support her. Dave was a gentlmen in every respect and helped her at every turn.

In all the interviews that she has done after re-emerging in the 90's, she talked frankly about her modeling years and never made any bones about doing it. She was also very open about her return to faith and the years of seclusion from public eye, when she would do an interview.

Dave Stevens brought generations to know Bettie and one of the most prized items in my vast BP collection is an 8x10, black & white bathing suit print of Bettie; signed by Bettie. The photograph was one taken by Bunny Yeager on a beach and no one could photograph Bettie like Bunny could. I also have dozens of original Irving Klaw photos that I purchased from his sister, Paula, and got to speak with Paula several times. She always remembered Bettie warmly.

Ms. Page, my prayers are with you and hoping for a speedy and full recovery!

OBIO
December 6th, 2008, 15:24
I have been obsessed with Bettie since I was too young to know why I was obsessed with her. I have hundreds of digital images of her collected off the internet and burnt onto a CD.

I share my birthday (April 22) with three celebrities:

Peter Frampton, who did a fairly good job of playing the guitar....yeah right...the guy rocked like no one else.

Bernadette Peters, DROOL!

Bettie Page, BIG TIME DROOL AND THEN SOME!

OBIO

oakfloor
December 7th, 2008, 07:17
although she is famous for being totally hot, she was actually quite a bible scholar after she caught fire for the Lord. she attended 3 different bible colleges.
Amen, she is now on her way home. No more tears, no more pain, no more sorrow, on to life everlasting.

Odie
December 7th, 2008, 08:41
No update on her condition, but here's something from the LA Times:

Model Bettie Page hospitalized after heart attack

Associated Press
5:35 PM PST, December 5, 2008

Bettie Page, whose magazine photographs in bikinis and see-through lingerie helped her become one of the most notable models of the 20th century, was hospitalized in intensive care after suffering a heart attack, her agent said Friday.

"She's critically ill," Mark Roesler of the Curtis Management Group told The Associated Press.

He said she had the heart attack on Tuesday and was hospitalized Friday in the Los Angeles area.

A family friend, Todd Mueller, said Page was in a coma. When asked to confirm, Roesler said, "I would not deny that." Roesler would not comment further on her condition.

Page, a secretary turned model, is credited with helping set the stage for the sexual revolution of the rebellious 1960s. She attracted national attention with magazine photographs of her sensuous figure that were tacked up on walls across the country.

Roesler said CMG has represented some of biggest celebrities over the decades, and that Page has been "one of our biggest clients. She's right up there with Marilyn Monroe."

Page's photos included a centerfold in the January 1955 issue of then-fledgling Playboy magazine, as well as controversial sadomasochistic poses.

She later spent decades away from the public eye, and during that time battled mental illness and became a born-again Christian.

After resurfacing in the 1990s, she occasionally granted interviews but refused to allow her picture to be taken.

Mueller credits his business dealings with the model for bringing her out of seclusion. He said he first met her in 1989 when he offered her "a bunch of money" to show up at autograph signings.

"I probably sold 3,000 of her autographs, usually for $200 to $300," he said. "Eleanor Roosevelt, we got $40-$50. ... Bettie Page outsells them all."