PDA

View Full Version : New T-45C project - Work in progress...

Dino Cattaneo
April 26th, 2011, 23:51
Here are some images of the new T-45C Goshawk I've been working on in the past months.
Basically, it is a completely new version of my previous T-45C meaning that the 3D models (both internal and external) and the textures are completely new - and much better IMHO.
The major difference is that this time I've been working with the NATOPS in my hands (well, actually it is a pdf) so that the whole package, apart from looking better, it is more accurate.
The cockpit is much closer to the real one - but its functionality will be limited (basically it will be as functional as the previous one). The instructor cockpit is planned, too...although I have not started it yet.
Also, the flight model has been tweaked a little - although the previous one did its job nicely (apart from few issues).

I have to confess that I am pretty happy with it - but I really have no idea on when I will be able to release it. I hope a test version will be ready before the end of May...but that is just a hope.

Bruce Thompson
April 27th, 2011, 01:05
That is looking superb Dino, it will be worth the wait.:applause::applause::applause:
Just can't wait:jump::jump::jump:

mjrhealth
April 27th, 2011, 01:09
Thanks Dino, being visiting your blog, cant wait.

Stefano Zibell
April 27th, 2011, 03:08
Hey Dino, you're the man.

Felixthreeone
April 27th, 2011, 04:27
Very exciting! looking forward to it

italoc
April 27th, 2011, 05:54
Avanti Dino:applause::applause:
I'll wait patiently to get your new Goshawk
Italo:salute::salute:

airattackimages
April 27th, 2011, 06:02
Brilliant!!! :salute:

Dave Torkington
April 27th, 2011, 07:10
Great work Dino - waiting patiently here :salute:

bstolle
April 27th, 2011, 07:24
That looks absolutely GREAT Dino!!!
You've got a PM!

Hitchhiker
April 27th, 2011, 08:57
Bel lavoro Dino! E' fantastico.

DaveKDEN
April 27th, 2011, 09:36
Beautiful!!!

heywooood
April 27th, 2011, 11:26
love your work Dino - much too much appreciated for words :applause:

Sideshow
April 27th, 2011, 17:07
Very nice Dino! The improved cockpit textures look terrific. As always thank you for your efforts :salute:

Shylock
April 28th, 2011, 02:15
Dino would you want to put a back seat in there? My buddy has been saying for the longest time he's been wanting to contact you to do it for you.

Phantom88
April 28th, 2011, 02:45
WOW! Gorgeous!!!! that VC is KILLER!!!:jump:

Dino Cattaneo
April 28th, 2011, 05:49
All,

once again, thanks for your appreciation.
The enthusiasm of the community is one of the main driving force in my designs!
I have to confess that I am pretty happy with the quality of this project.

The external model is much better - it is more accurate and detailed, although it is also much demanding in terms of resources. The only major mistake I know of is the shape of the outer main gear doors - which is slightly incorrect. I realized that way too late in the design...and it will not be fixed.
Also, at present, the loadouts/accessories (baggage pod and practice bombs) are not modeled... I am not sure if it make sense to model them, as I've seen very few people using it in the previous version.

The virtual cockpit is almost completely new (and yet unfinished) - textures and geometry have been redone on the basis of the NATOPS schematics (I am not sure I am supposed to have a copy of it... but it is an awesome document!).
There are some details missing, at present, but it is 90% done. It is also quite optimized so there are the resouces to make an instructor cockpit - which was planned from the beginning.
But first I will complete the student/pilot seat - once it is done I will see what to do with the instructor cockpit. By the way there are some differences between the front and back cockpits... making them identical would be much faster, but also less accurate... I have not decided yet.

As for the flight model, I think the current one does its job nicely, although I will fix/mitigate the two main issues I know of:
- incorrect top speed (should be 560kts)
- engine spool time (should be slightly faster)

Last - I will contact the author of th T-45 custom sound pack to see if I can get the authorization to include it in the package.

So...still a lot of work to do. But I think there is a good chance that a test version may be ready by the end of may...

franzi
April 28th, 2011, 07:06
Hallo Dino,

Your Goshawk is a great Airplaine, but i have a Question, can you put other Gauges into the Vc, I have no Accelerationpack.

Franz LOWG:salute:

thetford569
April 28th, 2011, 17:16
Awesome job Dino! Can't wait for the new Goshawk. I know you aren't adding much functionality to the cockpit but two items that I've always missed are a way to set the BINGO fuel level/Low Altitude Warning Alarm and a dial to set the altimeter. You can't do that in the current version. As for the NATOPS, it is available to anyone online if you know where to find it so I don't think it's a problem for you to have it. I have looked at it myself along with lots of other Navy Primary and Advanced training documents. I have actually used much of that documentation to do some training flights with realistic points to follow. You could actually follow the entire syllabus for US Navy pilots if you wanted to within FSX limitations of course! Anyway, very much looking forward to the new Goshawk and continuing my "Advanced Strike" training course with it!

Brandon

Dino Cattaneo
April 29th, 2011, 00:02
A couple of quick answers...

I received several requests to make the T-45 (and the F-14) compatible with FSX without Acceleration. It is doable, but it will require a lot of work for new XML gauges (HUD and MFDs). It would be nice to do them (making custom gauges means that you can make them much more accurate) but they are beyond the scope of the project.

As for the BINGO and LAW, I will first complete the 3d modeling and review the functionality later on. In my latest build, however, you can set them with the proper buttons in the scratchpad (although in an incorrect way - the mouse acts as if the button was a knob, rather than the real thing - that is you press the button and enter the values using the keypad)...

Bone
April 29th, 2011, 07:43
A couple of quick answers...

I received several requests to make the T-45 (and the F-14) compatible with FSX without Acceleration. It is doable, but it will require a lot of work for new XML gauges (HUD and MFDs).

I'm a big believer in free will, and a person's right to make choices, but I'm boggled at the people who refuse to get Acceleration...after all, Accelleration gives a person CARRIER FLIGHT OPS, among other things. I'm even more boggled with those people who want a freeware developer of carrier jets to put in more work because they can't be bothered with getting Acceleration.

Maybe my comments above aren't PC, but I'd rather see you spend your time going out and having a beer with your friends.

heywooood
April 29th, 2011, 07:52
I agree with Bone completely FWIW

SkippyBing
April 29th, 2011, 11:47
What Bone and Heywooood said.

I literally can't see the point of flying a naval aircraft without Acceleration installed, never mind asking a developer of carrier aircraft to produce a crippled version so you don't need Acceleration and can't do carrier ops!!

kilo delta
April 29th, 2011, 11:54
I'm a big believer in free will, and a person's right to make choices, but I'm boggled at the people who refuse to get Acceleration...after all, Accelleration gives a person CARRIER FLIGHT OPS, among other things. I'm even more boggled with those people who want a freeware developer of carrier jets to put in more work because they can't be bothered with getting Acceleration.

Maybe my comments above aren't PC, but I'd rather see you spend your time going out and having a beer with your friends.

I Agree. Besides....FSX Gold (which includes Acceleration) is now cheaper to buy than the standalone copies of FSX Deluxe and the Acceleration Addon pack (£14 last I saw it)

Wonderful work thus far,Dino! The T-45 is one of my FSX favourites. Now....where to get a copy of the NATOPS! :icon_lol:

heywooood
April 29th, 2011, 12:08
who doesnt want this...?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v250/heywooood/2011-3-14_13-20-39-695.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v250/heywooood/2011-3-14_18-25-36-240.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v250/heywooood/2011-4-15_9-48-15-507.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v250/heywooood/2011-4-22_16-38-1-127.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v250/heywooood/2011-4-18_21-38-23-257.jpg

Roadburner440
April 29th, 2011, 12:46
Very nice Dino! We had a whole bunch of these show up at Mayport last week to do some DLQ's on the carrier. Was thinking it would be nice to have one of these in FSX. You sure are a mind reader! Can't wait to see the final product.

mjrhealth
April 29th, 2011, 13:19
He already has one in FSX. This is a remodel to improve onthe original, It will only be better,

Thanks again Dino

doublecool
April 29th, 2011, 16:18
"the loadouts/accessories (baggage pod and practice bombs) are not modeled... I am not sure if it make sense to model them, as I've seen very few people using it in the previous version."

Dino, fantastic update but I hope you decided to... I liked the pod and flour bombs :wiggle:

I really enjoy your F-35 Your vapor effects on the wings and the engine intakes are the Best :applause:

and Heywooood Great screen shot :wavey:

Roadburner440
April 29th, 2011, 17:29
He already has one in FSX. This is a remodel to improve onthe original, It will only be better,

Thanks again Dino

Never knew that. The only aircraft I paid attention to was when he released the F-14D, and been following him since that (huge F-14 fan!). Which I thought was an excellent aircraft from him.

mjrhealth
April 29th, 2011, 17:52
http://simviation.com/1/download-file?file=t45cv185.zip&fileId=3299

couldnt find it elsewhere. there is also a new soundpack for it on avsim as well as a realistic HUD display around, and you will see why he would like to include the soundpack, it is nice.

Phantom88
April 30th, 2011, 03:15
heywooood,Beautiful screenshots.I love the subjects and atmosphere in the 1st and last!! Bravo!!:salute:

Dino Cattaneo
May 1st, 2011, 23:39
Well, although I was proud of the my previous T-45C rendition, it is an old project and it is obvious that it is not anymore on par with the (increasingly high) level of quality of most of the add-ons out there.

The external model was not done properly...at the time I could not find drawings and many details were modeled starting from photos, hence there is some warping and general inaccuracy - and I also had a lot of difficulties finding images and documentation for the cockpit.
Working with NATOPS information (and cockpit diagrams) gives much better results and accuracy.
I am confident that the new Goshawk will be a huge step forward (with one exception - the new external 3D model is more complex and less frame rate friendly).

Anyway, the student/pilot cockpit is almost ready...

mmann
May 2nd, 2011, 04:57
I am confident that the new Goshawk will be a huge step forward (with one exception - the new external 3D model is more complex and less frame rate friendly).

Unfortunately, on my computer, frame rates are king. Actually, I have never had any problem whatsoever with the appearance of your original Goshawk, but that could be because I have never seen one in real life.

Regards, Mike Mann

Dino Cattaneo
May 3rd, 2011, 01:46
For those who are interested, there should be a lot of interesting material to read at this addess - including T-45C manuals and course material (I wrote "should be" because -at present- I cannot access to the site):
https://www.cnatra.navy.mil/publications.htm

As I said I cannot access right now - but previously you could access the site (by clicking continue upon the error certificate) download a lot of interesting documents - good thing I saved a copy of each one.
As far as I can remeber, the NATOPS was not there - I was told it can be downloaded from a public USN site but I have no download link available.

@Mike Mann

Sorry to hear that... On the good side, the virtual cockpit makes a much more efficient usage of the graphic resources - actually it should be as smooth as the previous one, or even better.

The external model is using fewer texture sheets, but some of them have a higher resolution (2048x2048) - and the geometry is much more complex and detailed... I'll try to make some optimizations here and there... but those will be just minor enhancements.