PDA

View Full Version : A simple question about Panel.cfg files for aircraft

Sid2008
April 25th, 2011, 06:49
Hello everybody,
I was wondering if you would kindly explain something to me: let us use the default FS9 DC-3 as an example. It has [Windows ??] and [VCockpit ??] sections refering to the 2 types of panels available.

I understand the coding of gauges in the virtual cockpit:
gauge??= cab file name gauge name, 2 starting coordinates on the $Bitmap, length and depth of the gauge in pixels.

What I am seeking to understand is the gauge descriptions under the [Window??] sections
There too you have a gauge name, followed by only 2 numbers, someof which are rather large. Perhaps one of you could explain what these 2 numbers signify AND if i can use some of the gauges that show in the NON-VC panel as "borrowed" gauges in a different plane's VC panel?

Thank you,
Sid

Hurricane91
April 25th, 2011, 08:02
Hello Sid,
As far as I know,the two sets of number coordinates in 2D panels indicate location on the panel. I believe they are larger numbers because the 2D panel is larger than the VC. In your example, most of the instruments appear in the VC section. You should be able to use such gauges in another airplane, but you may need to change the gauge coordinates for the "new" panel. The size of the "new" panel could be different from the original, so you might need to adjust the size of the gauge. You can use the existing gauge sizes in the "new" panel for a starting point. Back up your "new" panel.cfg file and experiment a bit until you have the new gauge dialed in.

John

fxsttcb
April 25th, 2011, 08:19
What I am seeking to understand is the gauge descriptions under the [Window??] sections
There too you have a gauge name, followed by only 2 numbers, someof which are rather large. Perhaps one of you could explain what these 2 numbers signify AND if i can use some of the gauges that show in the NON-VC panel as "borrowed" gauges in a different plane's VC panel?
If the window's gauge description only gives the 2 number position data, then it will use the gauge's internal size data or the size of the background bitmap it uses. You can "scale" the gauge by introducing your own additional 2 numbers making the 4 digit position and size string.

You can copy a gauge "container", be it a, .cab, .gau, .dll, or plain folder, from one plane's panel folder and place it in the gauge folder for use by any plane. If you do I would suggest making a name change to avoid conflicts.

If you upload your creation, using someone else's gauges, either get permission from the original author or don't include them and provide the download information for the required file(s)...Don

Hurricane91
April 25th, 2011, 14:35
You can copy a gauge "container", be it a, .cab, .gau, .dll, or plain folder, from one plane's panel folder and place it in the gauge folder for use by any plane. If you do I would suggest making a name change to avoid conflicts.

Don

Don, Please give and example of this. I have not heard this before but have noticed gauge conflicts once in a while. Do you change the cab and the gauge name?

John

Sid2008
April 26th, 2011, 09:38
Yes, a simple example will be great.

tgibson
April 26th, 2011, 10:00
Hi,

No, just the cab name. The gauge name (stored internally within the cab file) does not change.

Hope this helps,

Hurricane91
April 26th, 2011, 13:10
Hi,

No, just the cab name. The gauge name (stored internally within the cab file) does not change.

Hope this helps,

Thanks Tom,
This is new to me and does help with my understanding of gauges. I have often seen readme notes that encourage placing cab files in the Gauge folder for other uses, but not the name change. Thanks again.

John

rcbarend
April 26th, 2011, 14:29
Thanks Tom,
This is new to me and does help with my understanding of gauges. I have often seen readme notes that encourage placing cab files in the Gauge folder for other uses, but not the name change. Thanks again.

John
Hi John,

Maybe this helps too.
From an old post I made years ago:

Placement of gauge files
========================
Assume the panel.cfg is in the folder:
....\aircraft\youraircraft\yourpanel\
If you panel.cfg contains a definition like:
gauge** = filename!gaugename, ..,..
FS seaches for that gauge in the following order:
1. The gauge "gaugename", in file "filename.gau" in folder ...\yourpanel\
2. The gauge/file "gaugename.xml" in folder ....\yourpanel\filename\
3. The gauge "gaugename.xml", in file "filename.cab" in folder ...\yourpanel\
4. The gauge "gaugename", in file "filename.gau" in folder ...\gauges\
5. The gauge/file "gaugename.xml" in folder ....\gauges\filename\
6. The gauge "gaugename.xml", in file "filename.cab" in folder ...\gauges\

A few notes
===========
1. As you can see, with the same panel.cfg definition, you can choose to place your gaugefile (.gau or .cab) either in the ....\gauges\ or ...\yourpanel\ folder.
Avantage of ...\gauges\:
- Only one, shared gauge file (saves diskspace)
- Installing a newer version of the gauge, you only have to overwrite one file for all panels using it.
Advantages of ....\yourpanel\:
- Allows for multiple versions of a gauge.
- You never (accidentally) overwrite a gauge with an older version.
- Easy maintenance if you decide to remove a plane with it's panel: you simply delete the whole \aircraft\ folder (and panel subfolder) without leaving (potentially unused gauges) in the \gauges folder; or accidentally delete a gauge that is still used by another aircraft panel.
- Faster loading of the panel, because of the seach order and the size of the gauge folders. Allthough you probably won't notice a difference, unless your main gauges folder contains 10000's of gauges.

So you can decide yourself which "strategy" best suites you.
2. For XML gauges, you can decided to unpack the .cab file (e.g. using WinZip) into a subfolder with the same name as the .cab filename.
Adavantage:
- Easy change/replacement of a single .xml or .bmp file, without bundling/replacing the whole .cab file.
- Much faster loading of the panel with very large .cab files (because the file needs not to be unpacked first)
And these are only the main options and advantages :-)
To name three other possibilities:
1. You can put gauge files into a subfolder of ...\gauges\.
E.g.
gauge** = foldername/filename!gaugename, ..,..
when the gauge file is placed in folder ....\gauges\foldername\
Not very usefull given the other options, especially since if it's wasn't setup this way by the designer, you have to modify all gauge definitions in the panel.cfg.
2. Use panel aliasses, i.e. a common panel folder (with gauges) for more aircraft (or aircraft models).
The panel.cfg only needs to contain the line "alias=......", where ..... specifies the path of the actual panel folder (which can be anywhere in the FS tree)
3. Modify the bitmap of an xml gauge for a specific panel.
Suppose you want to adapt the bitmap of an XML gauge in a .cab file, for one specific panel.
What you do: Extract the .bmp file from the filename.cab file, eg. with Winzip, to folder ...\aircraft\youraircraft\yourpanel\filename\ and modify it.
Now this particular panel will use the modified bitmap and NOT the bitmap from the .cab file.

Hope this clarifies a few things.

:icon29: Rob Barendregt

Hurricane91
April 26th, 2011, 16:50
2. For XML gauges, you can decided to unpack the .cab file (e.g. using WinZip) into a subfolder with the same name as the .cab filename....

and,

...Suppose you want to adapt the bitmap of an XML gauge in a .cab file, for one specific panel.
What you do: Extract the .bmp file from the filename.cab file, eg. with Winzip, to folder ...\aircraft\youraircraft\yourpanel\filename\ and modify it.

I learn something new everyday around here. I had previously understood that if I opened a cab file, it wouldn't work anymore. Thank for that tutorial Rob.

John

fxsttcb
April 27th, 2011, 02:25
Don, Please give and example of this. I have not heard this before but have noticed gauge conflicts once in a while. Do you change the cab and the gauge name?

JohnHi John, I use a lot of FS9/FSX gauges in other planes simply by putting the .cab, .gau, .dll, or plain folder in the FS9 Gauges folder.
Some FSX versions have the same name, so rather than overwrite, I copy to desktop and rename first.
FSX will look in the plane's panel folder first if you are also using that sim version.

Then it is just a matter of using the correct syntax:
GaugeXX=Container!NewGauge, Xpos,Ypos,Xsize,Ysize

If you are planning on panel modding, FS Panel Studio is indispensable.
At the expense of sounding like an ad: It is by far the best $25 I have ever spent on my sims...Don

Hurricane91
April 27th, 2011, 08:22
Thanks Don, I've saved that bit also. I have a Panel Studio demo but I have not tried it yet. I learned to do gauge placement manually which can be challenging at times but does help develop a feel for the way different panels are set up.

Willy
April 27th, 2011, 16:20
I'll second about FS Panel Studio. I use it at least a couple of times a week.