PDA

View Full Version : Proud to live in the States...

Cloud9Gal
April 24th, 2011, 11:18
Even prouder to be Canadian! :canada:

lrA4V6YF6SA

HouseHobbit
April 24th, 2011, 18:19
Well, My friend, I can't fault you for being proud of Canada..
I have had the pleasure to see Canada several times in the past..
And have spent many days and nights wandering the beautiful places there..

If I wasn't an American, I too would be Most pleased to be a Canadian..
Our shared experience I do believe makes our relationship special..

BRAVO To Our Brothers and Sisters up North..
:salute: :salute: :salute:

OBIO
April 24th, 2011, 19:05
C9G

Thanks for sharing that link. That was a thought provoking, patriotism stirring and touching tribute to a great country and its people.

OBIO

gigabyte
April 25th, 2011, 02:11
Gig is another proud Canuck, and no offence to my good friends in the US of A, but I think Canadian women are the prettiest females on the planet, but I am a little biased in that department - oh and the starter of this thread is on the top of that list :kilroy:

Cloud9Gal
April 25th, 2011, 17:07
HouseHobbit, Obio and Gig~

You guys are so sweet! Thank you for putting a smile on my face tonight. I'm glad you enjoyed the video!

http://dl9.glitter-graphics.net/pub/472/472169vh12cujfeh.gif (http://www.glitter-graphics.com)

Naismith
April 25th, 2011, 19:16
Throat ... lump.........

frankwi
April 25th, 2011, 19:37
I thank Canada for giving us HOCKEY !

N2056
April 25th, 2011, 19:43
I work for the US Navy. The base I work at was host to a Canadian submarine last week. There is a protocol which dictates that at Morning Colors after the National Anthem is played the National Anthem of any visiting ship's country is played.

I had the fortune of hearing "Oh Canada" every morning last week. It's a very well done piece of music. :canada: :salute:

EasyEd
April 25th, 2011, 19:45
Hey All,

Another American AND Canadian citizen here. Nice video.

I thank Canada for giving us HOCKEY!

And Lacrosse and especially Curling :applause: !

-Ed-

N2056
April 25th, 2011, 19:49
Curling ROCKS!

Sorry, couldn't help myself :icon_lol:

magoo
April 25th, 2011, 20:10
A Friend was visiting from China. He was struggling to comprehend Canadian culture. With great sobriety and a somber expression, he asked me," Is hockey important to Canadians?"

I coughed up a lung.

Getting over that, I stated, "It's more than important....it's religion."

Witness.......Vancouver Olympics, Robson Square......

Con't......

magoo
April 25th, 2011, 20:16
......Last day of the Olympics, Team Canada/Team USA final game.

Panther_99FS
April 25th, 2011, 20:19
And Lacrosse

-Ed-

I thought Lacrosse came from Native Americans....

CG_1976
April 25th, 2011, 20:40

Actually Native Americans are descendants of Canada's First Nation's as I have learned recently from a Tribal Elder here.

OBIO
April 25th, 2011, 23:35
Not all Native Americans...or as I call us, Injuns, are descendents of Canada's First Nations. Studies using Mitocondrial material...which is passed from mother's to their children and changes very slowly over time...now show that there were 3 routes of imigration into the American Continent. One wave, made up of folks of Northern Asia/Siberian blood came across the Bering Straight into Alaska and Canada and spread Eastward and Southward. A second immigration, made up of folks of Southern Asian blood, somehow managed to arrive in South American and spread Northward. There was also some Mitocondrial DNA/RNA (can't remember which it is) found within the genetic make up of us Injuns that the researchers could not isolate at first. It was not of Northern Asian/Siberian origin, nor was it of Southern Asian origin. The source of this Mitocondrial material was eventually found to have originated from.....drum roll.....Europe....namely eastern Spain...a small area there was found to have mitocondrial material found in some Injuns in US of A. And this Spanish mitocondrial stuff was not newly introduced to the Injun gene pool....it was THOUSANDS of years removed from Spain.

Ok, sorry to have gone OT......but I take my Injun heritage slightly seriously....about as seriously as I take my European heritage..which is English and either French or German (the debate is still going on if our family name is a variation of an Old French name or of an OLD German name).

OBIO

lefty
April 26th, 2011, 00:00
Far be it from me to interrupt this bladder-rending wee love-in you guys are having, but I have to point out that, whilst our Canadian friends have undoubtedly gained a stranglehold in the world of curling, it was first invented a long, long, time ago, OVER HERE !!!!

Mickey D
April 26th, 2011, 06:04
Correct me if I'm wrong but don't the best stones come from Ailsa Craig Lefty? :wiggle:

Wild Bill Kelso
April 26th, 2011, 07:02
...the debate is still going on if our family name is a variation of an Old French name or of an OLD German name.

I'd suggest you to choose the french version!
You're aware of the german meaning of your last name...?

Cheers,
Markus.

lefty
April 26th, 2011, 07:07
Correct me if I'm wrong but don't the best stones come from Ailsa Craig Lefty? :wiggle:

They do indeed, although I gather there are other sources now.

I play equally badly with all of them........................:banghead:

Toastmaker
April 26th, 2011, 09:52
"Proud" ? Well, not exactly. . . I can see being happy, content, even excited and pleased to be Canadian (or American or French or, etc., ect. ) but "proud" is not quite the right term.

One may be proud of an accomplishment or a creation but the accident of your birthplace and resulting nationality is nothing you had anything to do with, other than surviving childbirth. It's like saying that you're "proud" to be a human being. . . as if you had some choice - and made the right one.

I don't mean to irritate or minimize the great things about being Canadian (or anything else) and I realize this is a bit pedantic - but it's accurate.

Ok. . . I'll get me hat - :running:

Snuffy
April 26th, 2011, 10:53
"Proud" ? Well, not exactly. . . I can see being happy, content, even excited and pleased to be Canadian (or American or French or, etc., ect. ) but "proud" is not quite the right term.

One may be proud of an accomplishment or a creation but the accident of your birthplace and resulting nationality is nothing you had anything to do with, other than surviving childbirth. It's like saying that you're "proud" to be a human being. . . as if you had some choice - and made the right one.

I don't mean to irritate or minimize the great things about being Canadian (or anything else) and I realize this is a bit pedantic - but it's accurate.

You'd best be careful Toastie ... I think she'd throw you out for the night with the other cats after that ... :icon_lol:

And we're proud to have you as part of our family here too C9G!!

Cloud9Gal
April 26th, 2011, 19:14

Good point Toastmaker! Thank you for providing us with a different perspective :)

And I agree 100% with it being pedantic :wiggle:

Panther_99FS
April 27th, 2011, 14:20
I think Canadian women are the prettiest females on the planet,

--> http://www.fabiolaboulanger.com/fr/gallerie.html

Tako_Kichi
April 27th, 2011, 16:16
--> http://www.fabiolaboulanger.com/fr/gallerie.html
JEEZ Panther! Did you have to do that!

:barf:

I should have known better before clicking on the link I guess. :banghead:

Jagdflieger
April 28th, 2011, 08:07
Oh You Canada!

I always love visiting and training with the Canadians.

Here's a picture of me with the regimental colonel of the Princes Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry Regiment (PPLCI) and one with some of the boys from the Royal New Brunswick Regiment.

GT182
April 28th, 2011, 17:09
The air is always fresher in Canada. The women take car of themselves and always look great.... at least 80% of them do. the other 20% haven't learnt any of the important stuff from their Canadian sisters yet, or they're too young. ;)

If I was ever to date again or just chase women, I would definately be in Canada.

gigabyte
April 28th, 2011, 18:40

Panther you are correct the origin is traced to Native Americans, but what most folks do not realise is that Lacrosse is actually the National Sport of Canadians... it's NOT Hockey!

I have seen references in recent years where Lacrosse is listed as the National Summer Sport and Hockey is the National Winter sport, but in my years of schooling we were always taught Lacrosse is the National Sport.

I played both when I was a kid, and like the true fool that I am I played nets - I know all those pucks and hard rubber balls to the head explains a lot! I have to tell you Lacrosse is without a doubt the toughest sport I know of, it's downright brutal. There is or was little or no fighting in our leagues, no need, if you got mad at another player you just "passed" in the general direction of his brain bucket, if you were a good shot and his reaction time was not 100% he would get a nice little nap... like I said brutal.

Panther_99FS
April 28th, 2011, 18:44
gigabyte,
Since I grew up in northern Illinois, we had a high school Lacrosse team....and Lacrosse was also actually a PE sport for us in high school too....:mixedsmi:

gigabyte
April 28th, 2011, 18:51
Oh You Canada!

I always love visiting and training with the Canadians.

Here's a picture of me with the regimental colonel of the Princes Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry Regiment (PPLCI) and one with some of the boys from the Royal New Brunswick Regiment.

Jagdflieger the pic with the Royal New Brunswick Regiment, is that at Gagetown? I know the look of the backgorund is very much like some of the training grounds I have seen there.

If you happen to get back this way - I travel past Gagetown weekly, we have to grab a "Timmy's".

OBIO
April 28th, 2011, 19:22
I'd suggest you to choose the french version!
You're aware of the german meaning of your last name...?

Cheers,
Markus.

Nope, not at all aware of the German meaning of my last name.

Tim

Wild Bill Kelso
April 29th, 2011, 06:31
Well, not too surprising, it's the adjective for a person suffering from "a serious loss of cognitive ability in a previously unimpaired person, beyond what might be expected from normal aging."

Hope you don't mind... :ernae:

Cheers,
Markus.