PDA

View Full Version : Alphasim F-8 Crusader in FSX?

tommieboy
April 23rd, 2011, 10:01
Aside from just copying the files over to the appropriate FSX folders, does anyone have a list to tweaks / mods for this bird in FSX?

The default F15_Airspeed guage won't load in FSX, so is there an alternative?

Has anyone figured out how to extend the fuel probe in FSX?

TIA

Tommy

HvyEng
April 23rd, 2011, 14:36
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
The refuel probe is the old concord visor FS9/FSX issue, to my knowledge no one has solved that one yet. Virtavia / Alphasim no longer has the source files, so no chance of a modeling fix either.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
I actually swapped almost all of the gauges with the Rollus Cruz gauges, and added John Detrick's sweet VC upgrade. With a little Photoshop tweaking you can darken the Rollus gauge bezels to match the U.S. black panel. It really makes for a nice setup.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
It took me a few hours, but separating the textures into FSX style filing is well worth it if you want to sort out some of the FS9 liveries offered. The "no body rail" FS9 textures will not work in FSX; they used alpha transparency to hide the weapons, in FSX you end up with holes in the Fuselage.<o:p></o:p>
She flies great, but handles quite differently from the Rollus Cruz, I don't know which one is more accurate in that respect. I have a heck of a time getting her on the deck, but then again I’m more of an engineer than pilot.
Here are my carrier adjustments:
[TailHook]<o:p></o:p>
tailhook_length=2<o:p></o:p>
tailhook_position=-12.11, 0.0, -1.00<o:p></o:p>
cable_force_adjust=1.0<o:p></o:p>
[launch_assistance]<o:p></o:p>
launch_bar_pivot =0, 0, 0<o:p></o:p>
launch_bar_lug = 14.40, 0, -3.61<o:p></o:p>
[LSO]<o:p></o:p>
LSOAdjustSpeed=1.2<o:p></o:p>
If you have the CS weapons add on, I started a list of hard point / gun locations at the CS website, the F-8 is on it. It's definitely fun plinking targets in the freeware Vietnam timescape scenery available. Now if we just had a 60's flat top to launch from......<o:p></o:p>
--Dan<o:p></o:p>

tommieboy
April 23rd, 2011, 16:51
Thanks for the input Dan....:salute:

I always wished someone would have modeled USS Midway CV-41 for FS9 or FSX.

Regards,

Tommy

TARPSBird
April 24th, 2011, 00:36
Thanks for the input Dan....:salute:
I always wished someone would have modeled USS Midway CV-41 for FS9 or FSX.
Regards,
Tommy
That makes two of us. Either the pre-overhaul version that still had the centerline elevator forward, or the post-overhaul version with the big flight deck, I'm not finicky. :)