PDA

View Full Version : Choppers are fun! Playing around with...

Warrant
April 23rd, 2011, 08:20
...the excellent Nemeth/Milviz UH-1C.

Flying is eazy and fun, even got an autopilot that works (Yup, not realistic, but for long haul....:kilroy:),

Just a few paint strokes and......a fictional Royal Dutch Marine Corps UH-1C based at Biak, Dutch New Guinea, early sixties.

Think i'm gonna make a Duck egg green/grey Navy version as well (the Dutch Navy did operate the AB-204B for quite a few years... (actually between 1962-1977)).

falcon409
April 23rd, 2011, 08:23
Warrant where did you get the Helo AP? I love Choppers and fly em a lot but only for very short trips (under 20nm). I'd use em for longer trips but constantly fighting altitude and attitude starts to give ME an attitude, lol.

Warrant
April 23rd, 2011, 08:34
Hi Falcon, you can find it here:

http://www.hovercontrol.com/cgi-bin/ifolio/imageFolio.cgi?direct=FSX_Panels_and_Gauges

Look for HC075DI_FSX_COUGAR_AUTOPILOT at this page.

falcon409
April 23rd, 2011, 09:12
Got it, thanks Warrant! :salute:

Shylock
April 23rd, 2011, 09:50
I love flying the Nemeth Huey. I'm currently working putting together some scenery to go along with the great Vietnam War Project scenery that was done. It gets very addicting flying those birds into and out of LZ's. Nice screen shots. Do you have the Heli traffic 2009 program at all? Its a blast flying with other Hueys.

Roadburner440
April 23rd, 2011, 12:49
Definately interested in seeing what scenery you are making for use with the Huey. I enjoy flying the bird as well. Was one of the first projects released after I joined Milviz. I also agree on the autopilot for the long haul. In real life though we always trim out the AFCS to where the aircraft at least flies in the direction we ant at the altitude we want. While you cannot completely let go of the controls at least it relieves some of the workload. Might have to d/l that gauge though from hovercontrol... The HTR is another good program to get from hover control. That adds a whole new dimension to heli flying.

Warrant
April 23rd, 2011, 14:26
Definately interested in seeing what scenery you are making for use with the Huey. I enjoy flying the bird as well. Was one of the first projects released after I joined Milviz. I also agree on the autopilot for the long haul. In real life though we always trim out the AFCS to where the aircraft at least flies in the direction we ant at the altitude we want. While you cannot completely let go of the controls at least it relieves some of the workload. Might have to d/l that gauge though from hovercontrol... The HTR is another good program to get from hover control. That adds a whole new dimension to heli flying.

I currently fly without HTR (1.4), though a special profile for the Nemeth/Milvis UH-1 is available. For controls i use a flight yoke, pedals and throttle quadrant. Flying a helo with these controls is hard as it is (especially a nice, precise and smooth landing). Wonder if HTR brings reality that makes it impossible to control the helo with my current control assets. What are your experiences, Roadrunner?
As for the UH-1 model, i really love it. The only little minor is the static attitude of the pilot (no head movements) and the lack of optional aircrew.

Roadburner440
April 23rd, 2011, 15:06
I have the Saitek X-65 stick, and the Pro rudder pedals so I can't speak as to your setup. So it is basically like the H-60's I work on minus the collective stick. I found the X-65 with it's touch sensitive technology makes hovering/flying helicopters much closer to the real thing. As with my old joystick the dead zones and all that were set to loose to allow me to hover with any effectiveness. I bet it is really hard and unnatural feeling trying to fly with a yoke. I tried flying the tube liners with a yoke once and didn't like it so went back to the unrealistic fighter style cyclic stick. I think the HTR brings a great deal of realism to the bird, and I enjoy flying with it. Before I refused to fly helicopters in FSX because they behaved oddly, but the HTR brings it more up to par. Not perfect mind you, but considering these guys have put it out freely in the community (they only ask for donations) I give them a big thumbs up for the time and effort. I just wish someone could nail down a rotor brake system that works with turboshaft engines.

As for the lack of aircrew, and pilot movement it comes down to poly's. I am unsure if you are an original UH-1 customer but on the initial release it really bogged down peoples systems. Plus at the time we were still learning a lot about limits within the simulator, but we reduced the polys & texture resolutions quite a bit to make it easier on the frame rates. I would have to say my biggest gripe with FSX heli's in general is the lack of a dynamic rotor animation system. I imagine such a system would destroy frame rates as you'd have to simulate all the swash movement, blades pitching, and the rotor disc changing attitude while in flight. I would also like to see coning rotor discs when taking off or in a hover for birds with dynamic rotor heads. Hopefully that new helicopter simulator that is supposed to be coming out has such features, as I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Warrant
April 23rd, 2011, 15:20
Thanks for the additional info, Roadrunner.

Regarding the aircrew and pilot movement; if those were the considerations, i'm very happy with it.
I purchased the UH-1 just a few days ago, inspired by the TV series "Tour of Duty" i was recently watching. I also purchased the Area51 UH-1V, the OH-58D and the MH-47. Though all eyecandy i like the Milviz/Nemeth Huey the best. These four choppers are my first real rotor experiences in FSX (that with 2500+ hrs in FSX). I rarely fly tubeliners, just GA and warbirds.

Warrant
April 23rd, 2011, 15:32
Do you have the Heli traffic 2009 program at all? Its a blast flying with other Hueys.

I'm afraid i have not. Can you provide more info on this?

And i really like to see more of that scenery you talk about! I have most, if not all Vietnam project sceneries installed and i love them!

Roadburner440
April 23rd, 2011, 15:39
We are looking at in our current helicopter projects with the Nemeth's making aircrew and such. They have made a lot of headway with that (just look at their recent products!). As time goes on and we get better at what we do the products also get better. In fact I think the Samson we beta tested with them had the 3D aircrew viewable from both inside and outside the VC (I never fly with them so cannot recall). Granted the cockpit looks ghostly without people in the seats, but anymore I am acustomed to it. :icon_lol:

Shylock
April 23rd, 2011, 18:24
Is it possible to prolong the engine start up? The rotor goes full bore once the engines are started. I was looking for them to spool up and the rotor to slowly turn up to speed. Is there something I could change in the CFG to be able to get this? If not no biggie.

I had purchased the original when it first came out and boy, it just wreaked havoc on my old system. It was moth balled and forgotten about. After the new system build I lost all of the info for it, emailed the fellas at Nemeth to see if they still had my info but I guess I grew inpatient after a day so went ahead and bought it anyway as its def well worth the money.

I'm really waiting for the CH-47 they were working on from what I read in the support forums.

Roadburner440
April 23rd, 2011, 18:54
Is it possible to prolong the engine start up? The rotor goes full bore once the engines are started. I was looking for them to spool up and the rotor to slowly turn up to speed. Is there something I could change in the CFG to be able to get this? If not no biggie.

I had purchased the original when it first came out and boy, it just wreaked havoc on my old system. It was moth balled and forgotten about. After the new system build I lost all of the info for it, emailed the fellas at Nemeth to see if they still had my info but I guess I grew inpatient after a day so went ahead and bought it anyway as its def well worth the money.

I'm really waiting for the CH-47 they were working on from what I read in the support forums.

Unfortunately the engine spool up issue is one of the things hard coded into FSX. HTR while it controls the actual rotor RPM in regards to the gauges, creating lift, etc you still see the rotor spool up fast. Is why I mentioned the rotor brake. At work on our H-60's the rotor spins up VERY slowly. Especially considering we bring engine 1 up to Idle right before the droop stops are going to come out, and then cross bleed start engine 2. I need to find the name of that helicopter sim I was talking about earlier. The preview videos I saw for that had the slow startup just like a real helicopter. I really cannot wait for it to come out.

EDIT: I hope you appreciate. It took me awhile of scrounging the internet to find it as I forgot the name. :icon_lol: Cannot wait for this game though as the graphics are amazing looking, and if the systems/flight dynamics are what they promise I cannot see where I could go wrong buying it. Now keep in mind this is a game soley dedicated to helicopters. Which is probably why the startup sequences and such are correct. In MSFS sometimes I think heli's were an after thought. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xn38OF2YK00

Bone
April 24th, 2011, 06:24
but constantly fighting altitude and attitude starts to give ME an attitude, lol.

Totally normal pilot stuff, and nothing to be ashamed of. Now all you need to do is hold a cup of coffee at the same time, and you're good to go. Lol.

Shylock
April 25th, 2011, 18:18
Roadrunner thank you very much for your explanation. Sorry my response was a little late as I have been away and have just now arrived back at home. I to am excited for this Heli sim coming out.

Edit: I found that the Agusta default chopper has a very slow start up. To bad I don't care for that one much. I wonder what other helos will be in that sim and how will the scenery be. Will we just have a few cities to fly around in or will we have the world.... one can only imagine.

Sedr37
April 26th, 2011, 10:38
Great stuff!

Dain Arns
April 26th, 2011, 11:43
"TakeOnHelicopters" by Bohemia Interactive will feature limited environments to 'work' in.
Last I have read was officially two detailed scenery areas, one being in the Pacific Northwest, the other in southeast Asia.
The idea is to do 'work missions' to keep the family helicopter company afloat.
Appears to be a limited number of helicopters available as well, but the MD500E and possibly the Bell 412 will be included.

The flight dynamics will be based off of the ARMA game engine by Bohemia Interactive (since they developed ARMA), but tweaked for more accuracy according to a company statement.
I have never played ARMA, so I do not know how accurate it's flight dynamics are.
Graphics should also be consistent with ARMA engine.

:salute: http://takeonthegame.com/

Tako_Kichi
April 26th, 2011, 15:12
I have never played ARMA, so I do not know how accurate it's flight dynamics are.
I am a long time player of both ARMA and ARMA II and I can tell you that compared to 'proper' flight sims the in-game flight dynamics are 'arcade like' to put it mildly!

I don't normally use my flight controllers in ARMA as they just get in the way unless you are adopting the role of a dedicated pilot. I prefer to foot-slog or take tanks/APCs/Hummers but on the rare occasions that I do fly I use the mouse to control aircraft movements and while the helicopters can easily be flown this way the fixed wing aircraft really should be flown using a joystick at the very least as they are very 'twitchy'.

Unless BIS (the creators of ARMA) seriously change the helicopter flight models I can't see "TakeOnHelicopters" being anything more than an arcade style game.

Shylock
May 2nd, 2011, 20:09
Anybody know if there is a CV-2 Caribou out there to go along with the FSX Vietnam War Project?

Warrant
May 6th, 2011, 16:05
Some more pic's of Royal Netherlands Navy (Marine Corps) UH-1C's and Royal Netherlands Air Force 298 Sqn UH-1H's (Bosnia and Afghanistan):

I created an range of different fictional Dutch liveries for the magnificent Nemeth/Milviz UH-1C/H:

UH-1C:

Liveries for 60-ies and 70-ies Royal Netherlands Navy registered Marine Corps UH-1C's including Biak (Dutch East Indies), Zanderij, (Dutch Surinam), Hato Curacao and NAS Valkenburg.
The Dutch navy did purchase and operate the AB-204B in this particular timespan. I fictionally added 24 extra UH-1C's for the Marine Corps.

UH-1H:

Liveries include 70-ies and 90-ies green paint scematics 298 Sqn UH-1H's devided in two fictional flights (Venom and Cobra flights). Further more some grey liveries for ISAF & Soesterberg AB, as well as fully tone down grey liveries for the early and late current century, based at Gilze Rijen AB.
The 298 Sqn did operate Alouette III, BO-105CB and CH-47D (still in use) helo's in this particular timespan. These liveries are a "what if the RNLAF purchased the UH-1H for 298 Sqn instead of the Alouette III".

Will upload the two different type liveries as two separate packages, each containing 8 different liveries, somewhere next week.