PDA

View Full Version : F-100C Auto Slats?

OBIO
April 22nd, 2011, 20:59
While looking through my Gauges folder, looking for some nice gauges to drop into one of my jets, I came across a gauge for the SOH F-100C....SOHF100Cautoslat.gau. I looked in the panel config for the F-100C and this gauge was not listed there....so I added it to the VC. Fired the plane up, and the slats were not auto deploying.

Does anyone know if the SOH ex-donationware F-100C is capable of auto slats, was there a tweak that needs done to activate auto slats?

OBIO

hschuit
April 22nd, 2011, 22:26
OBIO, last year Ed Wells and I did an FSX portover which has a working XML version of the autoflaps gauge. This new gauge also simulates the extra drag from the braking chute. The FSX version is in the SOH library:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/ldm-silk-icons/zip.png Classic Warbirds Design Team/SOH Donationware F-100D Super Sabre for FSX/A http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/ldm-silk-icons/download.png (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=34&id=166)
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/soh_ftp/thumbs/0/45811301562677.jpg (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=34&id=166)

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/ldm-silk-icons/magnify.png (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_resize.php?linkid=166&size=0)
Classic Warbirds Design Team/SOH Donationware F-100D Super Sabre
Portover for FSX Acceleration. The manual and sounds are not included, you may get them from the original FS9 package which can be found in the SOH library:
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?catid=32&linkid=73

Jagdflieger
April 23rd, 2011, 19:39
Obio,

I think that they work with the F7 and F8 keys as I recall. I'll fire the old girl up later to confirm that. As I recall, the early Huns didn't have flaps, but used the slats instead.

OBIO
April 23rd, 2011, 23:28
Jag

The slats work with F5 through F8. F5 either extends or retracts the slats/flaps fully, F6 extends or retracts one step at a time, F7 either retracts or extends one step at a time, and F8 retracts or extends fully. I can't remember if F5/F6 is for extend or retract or if F7/F8 is retract or extend.

I need to check out the FSX port over and see if the auto-slats XLM will work in FS9. Would be nice to have functional auto-slats on this bird to go along with all the other tweaks I am throwing at it. New skins, a full-on effects rework complete with a new AB effects controller by Rob Barendregt (AB effect only kicks in when engine is at full power AND the pilot engages the after burner...no more AB flames at 95% power with no AB engagement). Once I get the external skinning done, I will be retouching the entire VC texturing....and I am giving each plane an enhanced pilot with custom helmets. Still have a LOT of work to do....I redo one of the original skins, then create a new skin, then redo another of the stock skins, then do another new skin....currently working on an Ohio ANG skin.

OBIO

OBIO
April 24th, 2011, 09:28
I checked out the FSX port over of the F-100C. Auto-slats work like a charm. Now I just need to figure out how to get them working like that in FS9.

And while checking out the FSX port over package, I was blown away by the panel line details on one of the paints....so I am using that paint as the basis for new panel lines for my paint template. Luckily I only have 4 or 5 skins done....so won't be that hard to upgrade the skins with the more detailed panel lines. And will see what I can do to make the titanium tail area look better on my skins....the same area on the one FSX paint is just mind blowingly beautiful.

OBIO

pfflyers
April 24th, 2011, 21:59
I didn't know there was an FSX version of the Hun. When i saw that little screenie I just had to check it out.

I don't have FSX so I converted the textures to bitmaps and dropped them into my FS9 version. Those FSX textures are brilliant!! My favorite is the SEA camo "Thor's Hammer".

I've moved my old F-100 back to the front row of my flightline. I dropped the wide panel into my F-100 folder and it seems to work fine. The effects controller didn't seem to work, but the rest of the gauges did, made for a nice upgrade.

fsafranek
April 26th, 2011, 16:22
The leading edge slats on the F-100 were gravity driven. Meaning they were extended due to their weight whenever the aircraft was going slow enough for the airstream not to push them back (thus always extended on the ground unless pinned in the up position -- if that was possible). I did an xml for the slatted F-86 of Kirk Olsson years ago but since the F-86 also had flaps the gauge messed those up. Worked like a charm for the slats though. I didn't know enough about xml to sort it out. Since an F-100A/C didn't have flaps it wouldn't have been a problem. F-100D/F on the other hand...
:ernae:

Moparmike
April 28th, 2011, 05:33
Obio,
On the original d'ware version of the F100, that SOHF100_Autoslat.gau is triggered by airspeed. 239kts is the trigger speed. IIRC, this was a compromise speed that we came up with given what I had available to work with at the time. My brain is a bit fuzzy though...that was way back in '05. :)

Are you using the subgauge name?
The full gauge name as used in the panel.cfg should be "SOHF100_Autoslat!Autoslat_Control"

-edit-
In the original d'ware release, the autoslat gauge was gauge #18 in window00. Here's the line from the panel.cfg...

gauge18=SOHF100_AutoSlat!AutoSlat_Control, 42,553,10

pfflyers
April 28th, 2011, 07:47
I don't think that gauge was included in the free download version of the F-100 package.

I looked through the included panel cfgs (all three) and that gauge was not listed.

The only gauge file included in the d/l is the "SOHF100xml" which looks like the afterburner effect controller.

I added the "SOHF100_AutoSlat!AutoSlat_Control" entry to my panel cfg anyway, but saw no auto slats.

OBIO
April 28th, 2011, 10:04
I have the SOHf100_autoslat.gau file. I think I got the F-100 package when it was still a donation ware package. So that might be why that gauge is there...but it was not in the panel.cfg. I added the gauge to the panel.cfg, but I only had it as

gauge.xx=sohf100_autoslat.gau.

I did not have it taken to the autoslat_control part of it. I just fixed that in the config file and will check it out.

OBIO

Fired up FS9 and tested the F-100C with the auto slat gauge properly configured. Once I blipped through the views to get the gauge read, the slats auto-deployed with the jet on the ground. Great! But I could not get the plane to go any faster than 208knots at 2300 feet, even at 100% power with AB engaged. The slats must be set as flaps with a LOT of drag. Will have to do some tweaking to the flaps settings to reduce drag by a HUGE factor in order to use the auto-slats set up.

hschuit
April 28th, 2011, 11:25
(...) Fired up FS9 and tested the F-100C with the auto slat gauge properly configured. Once I blipped through the views to get the gauge read, the slats auto-deployed with the jet on the ground. Great! But I could not get the plane to go any faster than 208knots at 2300 feet, even at 100% power with AB engaged. The slats must be set as flaps with a LOT of drag. Will have to do some tweaking to the flaps settings to reduce drag by a HUGE factor in order to use the auto-slats set up.

IMHO it can be done in FS9 just as in the FSX portover: Add the attached F-100 folder into your panel folder and add the following line into your VC section:

gaugeXX=F-100!AutoFlaps, 10,10,20,20

(where "XX" should be the next available line number)

In order for this to work correctly you also need these flaps sections in the aircraft .cfg file:

[Flaps.0]
type= 1
span-outboard= .1
extending-time= 2.000
system_type= 0
damaging-speed= 500
blowout-speed= 501
lift_scalar= 0
drag_scalar= 0
pitch_scalar= 0
flaps-position.0= 0.000, 0.000
flaps-position.1= 100, 0.000
flaps-position.2= 100, 0.000

[Flaps.1]
type= 2
span-outboard= .8
extending-time= 2
system_type= 0
damaging-speed= 500
blowout-speed= 501
lift_scalar= 1.2
drag_scalar= .3
pitch_scalar= .2
flaps-position.1= 30,0
flaps-position.2= 30,0

[Flaps.2] // dragchute superflap
type= 1
span-outboard= .1
extending-time= 1
system_type= 0
damaging-speed= 200
blowout-speed= 201
lift_scalar= 0.001
drag_scalar= 1.0
pitch_scalar= 0.001
flaps-position.1= 0,0
flaps-position.2= 600,0

This is how the AutoFlaps code works:
Flaps pos 2: When aircraft is on the ground and the tailhook is extending, this is a kind of "super flap" simulating the brake chute drag (the chute is activated with the tailhook command). Also, the slats are extended.

Flaps pos 1: Speed less than 239 kts, slats extended

Flaps pos 0: Speed 239 kts or more, slats retracted

falcon409
April 28th, 2011, 11:27
OBIO,
After reading the last few posts, I went to my airplane to have a look because I was pretty sure the slats on mine work as advertised. Here's what I found:
The only "slats" reference is the follow. . . .from my panel.cfg:
[Vcockpit01]
Background_color=0,0,0
size_mm=1024,1024
visible=0
pixel_size=1024,1024
texture=$_R
gauge00=f-5a!Oil_Pressure_L, 283,64,162,164
gauge01=MS-760!oat, 404,518,128,128
gauge02=MS-760!Volt_Amps, 421,706,119,119
gauge03=ov-10a!AOA_Index, 0,56,56,124
gauge04=F-100!AutoFlaps, 10,10,20,20
gauge05=F-100!EffectController, 68,10,20,20

No reference to anything else, such as the AutoSlat control. Also, I've attached a few shots. . . .one on the ground with slats extended and one on climbout passing 300kts with the slats recessed as they should be. The jet continued to gain speed in the climb well past what you're saying was your limit with the slats problem you have.

falcon409
April 28th, 2011, 11:30
lol, ya beat me to it hschuit!! :salute:

OBIO
April 28th, 2011, 11:36
Thanks guys...will give this a go. One question...will I be able to include the gauges and tweaks you provided in the Restoration Project I am doing on the F-100C? New skins, new effects package (including a brand new AB effects gauge by Rob B), touched up VC/interior textures. If I include them, who do I need to contact for permission to include them and give credit to for the gauges and tweaks?

OBIO

pfflyers
April 28th, 2011, 12:45
I reinstalled the 'F-100!AutoFlaps' gauge in my panel and updated the Flaps section of the acft cfg and the auto flaps work as advertised.

Thanks hschuit and Falcon for the info.

hschuit
April 28th, 2011, 12:53
Thanks guys...will give this a go. One question...will I be able to include the gauges and tweaks you provided in the Restoration Project I am doing on the F-100C? New skins, new effects package (including a brand new AB effects gauge by Rob B), touched up VC/interior textures. If I include them, who do I need to contact for permission to include them and give credit to for the gauges and tweaks?

OBIO

OBIO, The FSX portover contributors are:

VC textures and configuration: Ed Wells (falcon409)
F-5/OV-10A/MS-760 gauges: Tim Conrad (piglet)
Bare metal USAF repaint: Jason Sparkes (do not know if he is on SOH, you can find him on UKMIL)
FSX FDE updates, wide screen panel, XML gauge, effects, Thor's Hammer and RDAF repaint: Henk Schuitemaker (hschuit)

For my piece of the pie I have no problem if you use what you need.

cheers, Henk

Moparmike
April 28th, 2011, 13:53
I don't think that gauge was included in the free download version of the F-100 package.

I looked through the included panel cfgs (all three) and that gauge was not listed.

The only gauge file included in the d/l is the "SOHF100xml" which looks like the afterburner effect controller.

I added the "SOHF100_AutoSlat!AutoSlat_Control" entry to my panel cfg anyway, but saw no auto slats.

The gauge was built for the original release, but it wasn't included with the original v1.0 package for some reason. (I probably forgot that gauge when I was scripting it).
I know the gauge and a couple other fixes were posted as an attachment in the donationware support forum shortly after release, and if you have v1.1 of the F100 then it should be included in the installer.
I'll have to double-check which version that we uploaded into the library when all the d'ware was released as freebies.

And as hschuit posted, you do need the relavent flap entries in the aircraft.cfg as well to get the functioning slats (they're actually flaps in the FS plane).