PDA

View Full Version : Vertigo F-9F

WAD3
April 22nd, 2011, 10:32
I've been looking at this and it looks really nice. I wonder what peoples thoughts are about this airplane. Also I wonder about frames is it heavy on them or not? I would appreciate and input you might have while I consider purchasing.

Thanks
Andrew

skyblazer3
April 22nd, 2011, 10:41
It is a good aircraft that is in serious need of a patch... which should be on the way ( I understand they are beta-testing the patch).

I've changed the flight dynamics a bit so that the gear has more drag.... had a hard time slowing it down to the 115 knot approach speed.

Overall, it looks good and feels good, and has some of the best sound (external and internal) of any aircraft on FSX. I did, however, take out the Jet Roar sound from the cockpit, as that would not be realistic. I left only the Jet Whine sound.

As for frames.... excellent in single player or multiplayer if you only have one Panther. Excellent with 2 panthers.... but 3 panthers and it becomes impossible to fly formation because of terrible frame lag. This is a weird phenomenon. Dino Catteno's F-14 is the same way. One or two and it is smooth as glass, add another and FSX can not handle it. It is odd, because other aircraft don't seem to have a limit like this in FSX. So much for an F9F Blue Angel's team in FSX.

I wish I knew what caused that. My experience with this is common with others flying the aircraft too. I'm not sure if Vertigo is aware of this or not.... most developers don't think too much about multiplayer (some do, and that is great).

Go get the panther, you won't be unhappy... you might be happier, however, if you wait for the patch.

WAD3
April 22nd, 2011, 11:03
Thanks Skyblazer. Sounds like this will be in my hanger but after the patch. Your description makes me want it now but I think I'll wait for the patch and hope that straightens some issue out. I never do multiplayer so I shouldnt have any of those issues. I will be monitoring FS sites waiting for the patch.

Andrew

skyblazer3
April 22nd, 2011, 11:07
The aircraft is good to fly now... but there are a lot of little things that need to be fixed in the patch.

There are model anomalies from the VC... for instance, you can see a detached trim-tab from the VC if you look over your right shoulder.

There are also switches that are mis-labeled or have their functions reversed. The battery switch can not be moved until the engine is running.... but you can't start the engine without moving the battery switch... so you have to Control-E the aircraft, or use a key-press to flip the battery switch.

Lots of small things like this that make the aircraft feel rushed to production, even though I'm sure it wasn't. Once they get these fixed, it will be an aircraft that "makes you feel there"..... oh, and to have been there and then.

Chris

falcon409
April 22nd, 2011, 11:21
I would have to concur with Skyblazer, over all a terrific aircraft and extremely fun to fly. . .great for Carrier Ops. . . .BUT. . . .it has a tailhook that is only good for one trap, then you have to reload the airplane. . .Why you say? As it was told to me by the Support folks, "The original aircraft was just like this, after each trap, the internal handle was reset and a deck hand physical pushed the tailhook back into place". Supposedly, they wanted to stay true to the original airplane.

I love the airplane, fly it almost every day. . .beautiful model, great sound, and so on and so forth. Unfortunately I don't have a roving deckhand to reset my tailhook so I'll refrain from expressing what I think about that "need to be true to the original", lol. This is FSX, make the tailhook reset to the up and locked position like every other payware and freeware Carrier Aircraft ever designed. I promise, we won't hold it against you.

WAD3. . .buy it, you'll love it!!:salute:

heywooood
April 22nd, 2011, 16:55
I was unaware of the tailhook situation Falcon...I have the F9F on my buy list, but I like to cat and trap all day long. This 'reset' issue, while I understand Vertigo wanting to simulate a real condition, characterizes to me one of those developer / community access opportunities missed...

I'm sure that if they had wondered aloud (here in SOH) during development how that would play, they might have made the F9F tailhook operate like all the others in FSX - 'simulating' manual reset and just like the starter carts...we would just imagine an airplane handler resetting the hook.

gradyhappyg
April 22nd, 2011, 18:27
It's one of my favorite aircraft even with the few already mentioned bugs it has.

fliger747
April 22nd, 2011, 19:27
Thanks for the explanation about the tailhook. Lots of fun to fly off of the Korea vintage CV32.

T

BrittMac
April 22nd, 2011, 20:59
I absolutely love the Panther, even with its flaws. They do not, in any real way, take away from my enjoyment of it. One of the best FS purchases I have made.

The tailhook thing is a bit strange at first, but just remember this....it WILL reset if you catch the wire. The warning you get from Vertigo is to not mess around an drop the hook for the heck of it (just to see it drop). Just drop the hook if you intend on using it. Simple.

You can't go wrong getting the Panther. The future patch may make it better, which is just gravy on an already great dish. (yeah, I made a stupid food analogy.)

falcon409
April 22nd, 2011, 21:53
. . . . . .The tailhook thing is a bit strange at first, but just remember this....it WILL reset if you catch the wire. The warning you get from Vertigo is to not mess around an drop the hook for the heck of it (just to see it drop). Just drop the hook if you intend on using it. Simple. . . . . . .
That hasn't been my experience, hence the note about the tailhook. It comes up partially, but if you trap, taxi immediately to the launch area and launch again, the tailhook will not come down again for another trap until I reload the airplane.:salute:

Hitchhiker
April 23rd, 2011, 03:33
I did, however, take out the Jet Roar sound from the cockpit, as that would not be realistic. I left only the Jet Whine sound.

Skyblazer, how can you modify individual sounds heard in the cockpit. I am assuming it's by editing entries in sound.cfg? Had a look but it didn't look obvious.. but maybe I am being daft? I'd like to do something similar although not for this aircraft (although from what I am reading, it might be worth a look!).

Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers.

Hitchhiker
April 23rd, 2011, 15:36
Anyone?

skyblazer3
April 23rd, 2011, 23:08
Hitchhiker,

Sorry for the delay.... it has been a long day.

If I remember correctly....
I think what you want to do is open up the sound folder for the F9F. There are two sound files in it that are named something like "ss_intf9f_r1" and "ss_intF9F_r2". You want to listen to these sounds and identify the one that has the deep rumble. That deep rumble should not be heard from the cockpit of the jet, unless you have another jet sitting right in front of you. Those sounds should all be behind you, and you just hear a jet whine in cockpit.

So, what you can do is to rename that sound file something else, essentially make a back-up copy of it. Then, make a copy of the other interior sound that is just the jet-whine, and rename that copy to the name of the first one you modified.

The reason for doing it this way, is that in the Sound.cfg, these files are linked to one another and if you just delete the file, or hash-out the entry in the CFG, it will mess up the other sounds or remove your sounds.

There is probably a much much more efficient way to do this, but this is what I do with annoying sounds.

If you look in the sound.cfg and the sound that is bothering you is not linked to another sound, then you can simply place hash marks "//" in front of the entry.

Cheers,

Chris

Hitchhiker
April 24th, 2011, 02:03
Thanks Sky,

The mod I wanted to do was for another plane but I will see if I can use the same method. However from what I read this F9F is worth a look... unfortunately this recession is limiting the amount of planes I can add to my hangar! I recently got the Turbine Duke upgrade and saving up for the PMDG NGX.

Thanks again!