PDA

View Full Version : Lucky to be here..

Willy
April 20th, 2011, 15:39
Last night at about 11:15 PM, we had a F1 tornado pass right over my house. I mean right over. No damage to the house, but we lost a couple of big treetops next to the house and finally got the power back on a couple of hours ago. Glad it was just a small one and fortunately no one was hurt. My brother in law about a half mile down the road where our pasture is at, lost a small part of his roof and a neighbor about 100 yards away lost a big chunk of his. I'm thinking that the large oaks and maple around the house took the brunt of it here.

It could have been a hell of a lot worse. In '04 we had a F4 roll through the north part of town wiping slick a bunch of houses and causing some fatalities.

Panther_99FS
April 20th, 2011, 15:55
Yeow!

Cazzie
April 20th, 2011, 16:00
Gosh dang Willy, I just got back from helping folks, who had one of those! I am glad that front that hit you petered out by the time it got to southside VA. It's been a very pleasant day.

Keep yer spurs on, I'm glad the tornado jumped yer house.

Caz

PRB
April 20th, 2011, 16:01
What Panther said! Glad it missed!

sky pilot
April 20th, 2011, 20:16
moved
Last night at about 11:15 PM, we had a F1 tornado pass right over my house. I mean right over. No damage to the house, but we lost a couple of big treetops next to the house and finally got the power back on a couple of hours ago. Glad it was just a small one and fortunately no one was hurt. My brother in law about a half mile down the road where our pasture is at, lost a small part of his roof and a neighbor about 100 yards away lost a big chunk of his. I'm thinking that the large oaks and maple around the house took the brunt of it here.

It could have been a hell of a lot worse. In '04 we had a F4 roll through the north part of town wiping slick a bunch of houses and causing some fatalities.

Astoroth
April 20th, 2011, 22:26
Glad everything is okay Willy! Where I live (SW MO) there is a tornado close by with almost every severe storm that passes by. Living as I do in a mobile home we don't take chances. We have a buried concrete storm cellar, and when the weatherman says duck and cover, we do!

grunau_baby
April 20th, 2011, 23:10
Sometimes it´s not a bad thing when certain things in life just pass by...Glad it passed you without too much trouble!!!

Best wishes
Alex

PS: What about one of these, I know, they are hard to ship over, but we´ve still got plenty of ´em, cause they are too expensive too demolish.
http://www.mec-krefeld.de/bunker.jpg

Roger
April 20th, 2011, 23:22
Glad you and yours are safe Willy!

rayrey10
April 21st, 2011, 06:05
Glad to hear you didn't suffer any damage!

stansdds
April 21st, 2011, 08:04
That is way too close for comfort!

Yeah, I wouldn't mind having a concrete bunker for a home. I don't know if I could convince my wife it's such a good idea, but I think I could live in one just fine.

Willy
April 21st, 2011, 16:07
Got out today and checked out the damage in the area. From what I'm seeing, it hadn't touched the ground yet when it went over our house. I don't think it touched the ground until it was about a mile from the house, past our pasture. It was mainly going through big fields then but about two miles from us, it hit a small woods lot and some houses. There's insulation and sheet metal hanging from branches next to the road that make me think it hit a trailer house. Lots of big trees down all along it's path and the electric company is out in force replacing poles and putting the wires back up.

Still as far as I know, no one was hurt other than someone had a heart attack during the storm.

TARPSBird
April 21st, 2011, 16:28
Years ago when I was in HS we had a twister pass over (or close by) our house. Pulled a very old and large elm tree out of the ground by its roots and laid it across our back yard. I don't think you could do that with even a heavy bulldozer. That same afternoon a school bus company down the road had the roof of its service garage blown off, it was probably the same twister. We were lucky.

Willy
April 22nd, 2011, 12:20
My wife Vickie took some pics of the damage around here and just down the road.

1) our house with what's left of a tree top on the ground after the electric co. cut it off of the power pole.

2) Another big oak on the way down to the pasture.

3) Big oaks blown down across the road from our horse pasture.

4) what's left of a house about where it touched down.

rayrey10
April 22nd, 2011, 12:51
Man, looks like it picked trees right up. How fast were the winds.

Willy
April 22nd, 2011, 13:34
Don't know how fast. The insurance adjuster just said that from what he's heard it was a F1 that came over us.

When all the racket was going on, I went to stick my head out the door to see what was happening and the wind tore the storm door out of my hand and slammed it shut on my thumb. I've got some nice bruising under the nail now. I told Vickie that was God telling me not to go out there.

rayrey10
April 22nd, 2011, 13:44
I told Vickie that was God telling me not to go out there.

...and there's your sign! :bump:

F1 tornado is 73-112 mph...like a Cat 1/Cat 2 hurricane.