PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a great payware Piper Cub. Must handle well on water. Suggestions

jpmouse
April 20th, 2011, 14:15
I've heard of A2A and Aerosoft. Which is better? And are there any other contenders?

Thanks

JP:salute:

Thunderbolt
April 20th, 2011, 14:19
A2A with Accusim and you have an talking Passenger or Flight Replicas.

papab
April 20th, 2011, 14:51
A2A with Accusim-only way to go...
Rick

doublecool
April 20th, 2011, 15:52
Don't forget Flight Replica did some Nice Work :salute:

Timbohobo
April 20th, 2011, 16:30
A2A cub+Accusim.

ryanbatc
April 20th, 2011, 16:40
Look no further than the A2A Cub with Accusim:

http://www.a2asimulations.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=36&zenid=4e278e6a39d2b082a5589c38525e36f7

$40 with accusim

There's no amphib version so you'll have to get the Flight Replicas version for that!
http://www.flight-replicas.com/SuperCub_basepage.htm

papab
April 20th, 2011, 16:55
35598The A2A Cub has a float plane version

The first update added a paddle strapped to the float so you can get out and paddle the plane from the shore before you start it...

From the owners manual table of contents:

Floatplane Operations...................76

alexf
April 20th, 2011, 17:18
A2A With Accusim. That's the one!

monk1
April 20th, 2011, 18:21
I've heard of A2A and Aerosoft. Which is better? And are there any other contenders?

Thanks

JP:salute:

Do you want a J-3 or a Super Cub? There's a world of difference between the two. I have A2A's (excellent) and FR's complete package (excellent) and I've heard good things about Aerosoft's Super Cub. FR has a Super Cub Ultra in the works, complete with camping gear. Lots of great choices. Let us know what you wind up with.

olderndirt
April 21st, 2011, 06:55
Flight Replicas Super Cub is the closest to real life - flying wise and their J3 ain't bad either - no Heidi though .

Alan_A
April 21st, 2011, 15:08
A2a J-3 Cub, no question. One of the great FS planes of all time.

Cleartheprop
April 21st, 2011, 15:25
Flight replica supercub with no doubt! )))

jpmouse
April 21st, 2011, 16:25
You folks are great! However now I am severely conflicted. I've pretty much abandoned the Aerosoft model as it sounds like it may be a ported job from their FS9 model. As for the A2A and FR, it looks like the A2A is the most sophisticated, I guess, but has no amphib and is not a Super Cub. Flying mostly in NW Washington, BC and Alaska, an amphib is a great advantage. Also, if I don't want to be restricted to flying through valleys all the time, the Super Cub's power is a real plus.

My standard for bush flying, at present, is the Carenado 185F. I am looking for taxiing performance on the water that is similar to it's performance. It handles nicely in maneuvering to docks.

This looks like one of those situations where one ends up getting both the A2A AND the FR. Leaning towards the FR first. (LOL $$$$$$$ and I'm retired and on fixed income)

Any final thoughts for me to consider?

Thanks so much guys!

JP

Kiwikat
April 21st, 2011, 16:50
Go with the A2A plane first. It raised the bar for GA in FSX. It is an absolute dream to fly. You may not end up wanting anything else... :salute:

Timbohobo
April 21st, 2011, 16:58
The A2A cub has floats, in fact it also has a paddle for docking it

ryanbatc
April 21st, 2011, 17:34
This looks like one of those situations where one ends up getting both the A2A AND the FR. Leaning towards the FR first. (LOL $$$$$$$ and I'm retired and on fixed income)

JP

You can just get the deluxe amphib pack from FR for 9 bucks, that's what I did:
http://www.flight-replicas.com/SuperCubdeluxeIFRlpkg.htm

jpmouse
April 22nd, 2011, 03:01
I decided I will get the Flight Replica first as I want the IFR instruments. (I get lost easily in the wilderness,,,LOL) I'll probably get the A2A when I have some extra money as it really looks like a high class sim aircraft in a class by itself. Your suggestions helped me very much in making my decision.

Right now I'm having fun with the brand new Aerosoft Katana DA-20 100. She's a real sweetie. Designed by the same fellow that did the Dornier 27 for Digital when they were still active. The maintenance actions are lots of fun. Check it out.

JP :salute:

LouP
April 22nd, 2011, 06:13
A2A, A2A, A2A, A2A, A2A, A2A, A2A, A2A, A2A, A2A, A2A, A2A, A2A, A2A, A2A, A2A, A2A, A2A :applause:

LOL, you get the message. Serously, the thing with Accusim is awesome

LouP

bstolle
April 22nd, 2011, 06:41
If you like the FR Super Cub the Cub is most probably too slow for you anyway.
Although the Accu-sim module is very nice, the flight model isn't really too good.

On the other hand if you want to try Accu-sim (which I highly recommend) the A2A Spitfire is extremely impressive (despite having a rather basic flight model bug).

tracyq144
April 24th, 2011, 14:52
Although the Accu-sim module is very nice, the flight model isn't really too good.

On the other hand if you want to try Accu-sim (which I highly recommend) the A2A Spitfire is extremely impressive (despite having a rather basic flight model bug).

I have both these, and really like them. Explain what you mean by the flight model bugs/errors, please?

Not being confrontational at all, just curious, since I am not a pilot in real life, and assumed I was flying the "realest" I could get on a computer.

Thanks.

ShawnG
April 24th, 2011, 16:19
the A2A is fantastic, but a J-3 is not the same as a supercub. one is a hard working bush aircraft and the other is a romantic reminder of the golden age of aviation. the A2A looks better, handles superbly and has a live passenger, but it abjectly fails at being a supercub; 'cause it isn't one.

bstolle
April 24th, 2011, 17:07
I have both these, and really like them. Explain what you mean by the flight model bugs/errors, please?

Not being confrontational at all, just curious, since I am not a pilot in real life, and assumed I was flying the "realest" I could get on a computer.

Thanks.

The A2A Cub is e.g. approximately only 50% as maneuverable as the real one. Check the 'flying farmer' on Youtube and you will see how nimble the real one is. Compared to that the A2A version flies like a wet sponge and that's too bad as it simply doesn't do a real Cub justice.

OleBoy
April 24th, 2011, 18:26
My input, I got the A2A Cub and the Carenado C185. Not knocking A2A, But I prefer the C185 for all my PNW bush flying. Or any bush flying for that matter. You just can't beat the power to weight ratios.

fliger747
April 24th, 2011, 20:27
Having time as a real bush pilot in both the 185 and Super cub, nothing beats the power/ weigh ratio of the cub. The flight Replicas Supercub includes my personal airplane, N8050C on wheels, skis and floats.

T

CodyValkyrie
April 25th, 2011, 00:57
The A2A Cub is e.g. approximately only 50% as maneuverable as the real one. Check the 'flying farmer' on Youtube and you will see how nimble the real one is. Compared to that the A2A version flies like a wet sponge and that's too bad as it simply doesn't do a real Cub justice.

Everything done in those videos can be done with the A2A cub. I have the (unreleased) video to prove it.

bstolle
April 25th, 2011, 02:35
Looking forward to your video once it's released......accelerating the video by the required 50% doesn't count ;)

Cazzie
April 25th, 2011, 04:02
Pshaw, get the A2A and Flight Replica cubs, I did. They're both worthy in their own right. :applause:

Caz

Dimus
April 25th, 2011, 05:45
I have them both and love them both. I must admit that although when I first got the A2A Cub I spent a lot of time flying it and enjoying all the Accusim features and the nice passenger, now I find myself always choosing the FR Supercub for cross country bush flying as it is more powerful and better equipped. I am now looking forward to Mike's ultra version.

Anneke
April 25th, 2011, 06:59
Besides the Cub from A2A and the Super Cub from Flight Replica's there's also the very nice Super Cub v2 package from FSAddon's Simon Smeiman (http://secure.simmarket.com/fsaddon-super-cub-x.phtml)

Just to make the picture complete. I have 'm all and love 'm

CodyValkyrie
April 25th, 2011, 13:33
Looking forward to your video once it's released......accelerating the video by the required 50% doesn't count ;)
This would be rather obvious, don't you think?

The roll rate of the Cub was measured based upon actual full deflection in the actual aircraft during one of the many visits by A2A staff to a vintage Cub. I mention this because many people seem to believe incorrectly that the roll rate is sluggish.

To further prove this is the following: http://www.a2asimulations.com/wingsofsilver/movies/a2a_j3_roll_rate.wmv

This video shows the full deflection roll rate of the REAL Cub that A2A visited and filmed numerous times versus what was produced in game.

Extensive research was done to get the plane to fly correctly. The problem people often have is they base their views of the Cub upon those of (often) modified versions or Super Cubs.

When I release my flying farmer style video, I'll be sure to post it here. I however have other work (videos for clients) to attend to, hence why it is not on my priority list.