PDA

View Full Version : Sarah Jane Has passed... Bummer..

HouseHobbit
April 20th, 2011, 12:38
I just learned Elisabeth Sladen, (Sarah Jane Smith) from Dr Who has passed..
:crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby:

This is a shock to me, she was and will remain one of my favorite Ladies from Dr. Who..
RIP Elisabeth, and Thanks for all the wonderful shows..

Wittpilot
April 20th, 2011, 13:36
May she rest in peace....

I thought it was neat they wrote her into the new series a few years ago.. her & K-9...

-witt

On a lighter note..... I can't wait for the new season to start Saturday!!!!

fsafranek
April 20th, 2011, 13:43
That is sad news. I got hooked on Dr. Who a few years ago when it started up again. I've watched every old series episode I can access and always enjoy those with the Sarah Jane Smith companion. As well as a couple years ago where she is a guest. :salute:
:ernae:

norab
April 20th, 2011, 14:32
broke my heart to hear it. she was always my favorite companion

AndyG43
April 20th, 2011, 14:35
They are promising an appropriate tribute for her on Saturday, when the new series starts. It has been interesting that nobody has had a bad word to say about her, a rarity in the acting world. She will be missed.

Dynasaur
April 20th, 2011, 15:28
This is very sad.
I wish I could have met her or even talked to her.

She was 2 days younger than me.

EasyEd
April 20th, 2011, 17:06
Hey All,

Major bummer she and the Doctor (4th one IIRC) were easily the best duo that show has ever had. RIP Liz...

-Ed-

wombat666
April 20th, 2011, 17:32
Very sad.

My favourite member of the 'Doctor's Ladies' and only 63.

"She was funny and cheeky and clever and just simply wonderful.The universe was lucky to have Sarah Jane Smith; the world was lucky to have Lis."

My sentiments exactly!

:kilroy:

Roger
April 20th, 2011, 23:28
Sad indeed!
I'm surprised how knowledgeable you all are in Aus and the USA about Dr. Who.:ernae:

Dynasaur
April 21st, 2011, 00:47
Sad indeed!
I'm surprised how knowledgeable you all are in Aus and the USA about Dr. Who.:ernae:

The very first episode was aired in Aus in early 1964 (although I believe it started in Nov. 1963 in the U.K.) and I have watched it ever since then.

And Sarah Jane was one of my favourites of the Doctor's companions.

AndyG43
April 21st, 2011, 01:02
Sad indeed!

BBC America have done a great job of selling the Dr Who concept in the States, since the relaunch, and the Americans have embraced it enthusiastically - to the extent that some of the new series starting on Saturday has actually been filmed in the USA, a major first, and a definite change from the 'good old days' of abandoned quarries & Camber Sands!

One of the joys of the new Dr Who has been the massively improved production values; combine that with some excellent acting, great storylines and wonderful scripts and the result had to be a winner. Each of the new Doctor's has been superb; I thought Eccleston would be difficult to top, but David Tennant did it - and Matt Smith just hit the ground running & hasn't stopped since. Bow ties ARE cool, just not sure about the fez!

Some of the recent episodes now rank among my favourite Who episodes; "Blink", The Stolen Earth two parter (with the lovely Ms Sladen playing a pivotal role), the last two Tennant episodes, the Richard Curtis scripted Van Gogh episode and the wonderful Christmas 2010 special - actually, scrub that, they're not just great Dr Who episodes, they are great examples of British TV at it's finest. I'm particularly looking forward to the Neil Gaiman episode in the upcoming series.

HouseHobbit
April 21st, 2011, 11:12
I learned of the Doctor while in Europe in 1974, Tom Baker was the Doctor then, and Sarah Jane was his companion.. I have been a Big fan ever since..
PBS here in my hometown then started showing Doctor Who when I came Home in 76'..
I have followed the Doctor all these years..I really like David Tennant/Matt Smith(new doctor) and the Christmas special also..

norab
April 21st, 2011, 14:03
started with Pertwee but liked Baker best untill David Tenant took over. Enjoy the new series with it's more adult outlook tremendously, and flat out love Torchwood

AndyG43
April 23rd, 2011, 03:19
Well, the big day has arrived, the new series starts tonight, for those of us in the UK (and I believe the USA gets it today as well!!! :jump:

As I posted earlier, the BBC are planning an "appropriate tribute" with tonights episode; I sincerely hope, among other things, that they dedicate this episode to her as a fit & lasting memorial for somebody who contributed so much to the Whoniverse.

Wittpilot
April 24th, 2011, 06:10
Saw the first episode last night... And I all I was left saying was..........WOW............. I mean, if you want to talk about a way to start a season off... It had a few things to make it great,

A) it had that WTF???? element early in the episode,

B) That scene in the bathroom was pretty flipping frightening, even by Who standards...

C) It def. left you craving more.... & I loved that here in the states they gave you some behind-the-scenes stuff during the commercials...

Just some observations....