PDA

View Full Version : I'm having a bit of a problem...Rhumbaflappy?

Rami
April 19th, 2011, 17:05
To all,

Some of the far-flung missions of the Heinkels!, Swordfish!, and Kondor! campaigns have a list of destinations that I've discovered are not covered by Rhumbaflappy's coastlines. These are the following locations...

Spitsbergen
Bear Island (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bear_Island_%28Norway%29)
Jan Mayen (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jan_Mayen)
Bermuda
Dakar, Senegal

So, my question is...I was thinking about perhaps using Rhumbaflappy's older coastlines for these areas. Has anyone compiled a master list, or is it even possible, to list what .bgl files cover specific coastline areas, so I only have to use the .bgl files necessary for these locations?

blohmundvoss
April 20th, 2011, 10:53
Hi Rami

If all else fails, you can look at the watermask bgls with LWMViewer which gives you a graphical picture of the areas they cover and the lat-long coordinates.

Cheers
BuV

Rami
April 20th, 2011, 11:26
Blohmundvoss,

Eureka! Where can I find such a tool? :jump:

tobob
April 20th, 2011, 12:24
Rami,

Here you go-

http://www.jimkeir.co.uk/FlightSim/LWMViewer.html

The stable version works for cfs2 and FS2004, not sure about v1.4b(beta) because.

If you use FS2004, the LMViewer 2 is an awesome tool(can be quirky, needs lots of RAM), however I don't think any versions have been actively updated since 2004.

tobob

Robert John
April 20th, 2011, 12:27
Hi Rami,
Hope you are feeling better.
For the community to benifit from your work the landclass may have to be created.
I emailed you the landclass for La Rochelle lock and the subpens.
The Landclass was ceated by tobob. I hope you can find sometime to take a look.
Hoping someone in the community may create the landclass for us.
Still fixing my designing computer shold be up and running in about a week.
When I am up and running can create some models for you.
Robert John

Rami
April 20th, 2011, 13:57
Hi,

I don't need Landclass, I just need to find out what .bgl of Rhumbaflappy's coastlines cover what areas. I also can't get the ******* program to work. :angryfir: It won't find my CFS2 directory, nor will it tell me what I need to know! :banghead:

tobob
April 21st, 2011, 04:36
Rami,

You should be able to drag 'n drop bgl files onto LWMViewer.

tobob

kdriver
April 21st, 2011, 09:52
Hi Rami,

Glad to hear you are recovering.

LWMViewer is only good for Rhumba's watermask files. The only way I know to look at his older coast files is with BGLAnalyze. You only have to open each file to see the lat/long - no need to disassemble. However, it is very tedious. I used this method to eliminate the files which conflict with PHP's Hawaian, Maskrider's Marianas and Jean Bomber's Pelargic and Truk scenery. My plan is to eventually go through them and weed out any others which conflict with Jean Bomber's Afnor scenery.

Are you no longer recommending the use of Rhumba's older Pacific and European coast flatten files in your scenery installation guide?

Kevin

Rami
April 22nd, 2011, 03:20
Kdriver,

Though it's tedious, can you help me find the .bgl files for those five places I mentioned? :mixedsmi:

kdriver
April 22nd, 2011, 08:09
Here are the ones for Spitzbergen and Bear Island:

M5800311.BGL
M5840251.BGL
M5840271.BGL
M5840331.BGL
M5840351.BGL
M5880211.BGL
M5880231.BGL
M5880251.BGL

I haven't found the ones for Jan Mayen yet. Bermuda and Dakar are not covered by Rhumba's coastal flattens.

I'm still a bit puzzled by this, so I'll ask again - are you no longer recommending the use of Rhumba's older Pacific and European coast flatten files in your ETO scenery installation guide? Are you now recommending his newer watermasking files? :ques:

Rami
April 22nd, 2011, 08:48
Kdriver,

Okay, we have some mis-communication here. Let me answer your questions first...

For the ETO, the Mediterranean, and the Eastern Front, I don't use the stock coastlines at this point, I simply use Rhumbaflappy's new (2008 / 2009) coastlines as a replacement for the stock ones. I haven't seen the need to use coast flattens with them, so I don't. The main areas of the ETO are covered by Sander's files anyway.

Second, my thought was to use his older coastlines, just for the specific areas in question. I'm not actually looking for the coastal flattens, I'm looking for the actual older coastlines that Rhumbaflappy created, so that I'll know which ones I'll have to include in the campaign package. (Assuming I can get permission)

These files look like this: CFS2WaWa468xxx.bgl

kdriver
April 22nd, 2011, 10:36
Rami,

Now I know what you are talking about. Rhumbaflappy called them *water, e.g. Europe Water, Asia Water, etc. They not only contain coastlines, but lakes and rivers as well. They are land water mask files which can be opened with LWMViewer - back to where we started. I use version 1.3.0.0 and it works beautifully with XP SP3.

rhumbaflappy
April 22nd, 2011, 11:06
Sorry for the delay.

There's a couple of tools that work with Google Earth that would help ID the areas:

GoogleTools.zip (http://www.timacheson.com/SkyDrive/DirectLinkRedirect?pageUrl=http://cid-f3950c5bbd2bcfa1.office.live.com/self.aspx/FS%20Addons/FSX%20Tools/GoogleTools.zip)

LecGoogle lets you find a CFS2 Region name... and those are used by the LWM watermasks I made. When those watermasks are used with the mesh I made, you might not need flattens.

Spitsbergen cst4600
Bear Island cst4600
Jan Mayen cst4600
Bermuda cst4310 not made
Dakar, Senegal cst4l10 not made

I didn't make those 2 areas because they weren't in the main W2 war theatre. A little strapped for time, so I doubt I'll ever make them.

Terminology gets complicated. I made mesh and land-water-masks. Coastlines wouldn't be a good name as it gets confused with shorelines. LWMs are polys that describe water or land... no beaches.

We don't have a good tool to make beaches, and truthfully, they really aren't needed in most of the world. Few coastlines have tropical beaches. All coastlines have land and water.

The old flattens are not recommended for use as they only work with the default masks and mesh. They were hacked from FS2000.

Dick