PDA

View Full Version : Sound issue

Hitchhiker
April 18th, 2011, 09:51
Hi all,

I am having an issue with the playback of specific sounds in FSX which I have not been able to resolve. I have come across 1 post in FSX-related fora which described a problem similar to mine but a solution was not offered... in essence:

I was originally having 2 issues:
1) I was getting a splash sound instead of regular touchdown sounds (not an issue with landing gear status as I was getting this even on say the default C172)
2) FSX is not playing back the sound when the jet blast deflectors are raised nor the catapult launch sound. Trapping sound plays back fine.

I managed to get problem 1 resolved by copying the original files of the sound folder (I keep backups of key folders from a vanilla installation of FSX Accel), however problem 2 persists. I have also tried an Accel. repair. No joy. The problem seems like it is being caused at a "deeper"/system level?

re: Aircraft carrier sounds: The relevant wav files are present in the sound folder and named correctly (i.e. match entries in sound.cfg of aircraft and aircraft carriers) and play properly with WM player

I am honestly stumped and not sure why it is these 2 sounds that are being affected. The last thing I have installed which has anything to do with carrier ops is the Sludge Hornet. I cannot remember if the problem manifested itself after the installation of the SH...

Any clues?

Hitchhiker
April 18th, 2011, 23:32
bump.

vuong
April 23rd, 2011, 18:09
bump.

I got the same problem, for the last 4 days tried to figure it out but no luck, did you try http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?20047-Extra-sounds-for-Thrawn-s-Nimitz to see if it solve on your system?

Hitchhiker
April 24th, 2011, 11:35
Hi Vuong,

I am checking out that thread now. I re-installed FSX which cured the carrier sound problem... but I am still experiencing an issue with splash sounds on touch down occasionally. It's very frustrating. I am starting to think that my Windows installation is FUBAR and will need re-installing as well...

Hitchhiker
April 24th, 2011, 11:43
I read the post you suggested but I couldn't see a link to the RAR file being alluded to. Have you manged to get your hands on it?

Thanks.

Hitchhiker
April 25th, 2011, 03:24
I think I have resolved the splash sound at touchdown problem... it seems to have been caused by this "runway tree removal" scenery I downloaded form Avsim. I like to do some bush flying occasionally and I had installed this to remove trees within the immediate area of runways to avoid the occasional problem of having trees right up to the treshold... The file in question was "Runway Tree Removal_3x.zip" and removing this from the scenery seems to have resolved the issue.