PDA

View Full Version : Help needed for unistall/reinstall of FS9

RL_201
April 12th, 2011, 19:59
I was hoping someone could explain to me how to do a complete uninstall, then a "clean" reinstall of FS9. Here's the problem, about 5 days ago I went to install Soul Prana's runway lighting textures, I went into the fs9.cfg only to discover that the following lines were not listed:

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_SURFACE_SCALAR=
RUNWAY_LIGHTS_VASI_SCALAR=
RUNWAY_LIGHTS_APPROACH_SCALAR=
RUNWAY_LIGHTS_STROBE_SCALAR=

I deleted the fs9.cfg file, started up FS9 again, then went back to the fs9.cfg file only to discover that the lines were still missing. After trying 4 uninstalls/re-installs of FS9, I still have the same problem plus more. Ultimate Terrain will install, but not show up in the Scenery Library, plus Scenery not installed in FS9 at this time will show up in FS9, as the pictures will indicate. I have done everything I can think of to uninstall FS9, including deleting the FS9 folder in the c:\users\user\appdata\roaming\microsoft folder to deleting the FS9 register entries. Does anyone have an idea what could be the problem?. I'm almost certain that there's another hidden folder that holds some information regarding FS9, but haven't found it.

Thanks

OBIO
April 12th, 2011, 20:20
RL

Many many times I have seen it advised to use a second HD to installs your sims on when running Win 7 if possible...and to always create your own install folder totally way from the default Programs folders. Installing to those folders is a huge headache creator just waiting to happen.

I wish I had solid advice to give you on how to totally clear out all FS9 files and to get a clean install. It is obvious that some files are being left behind somewhere on your system...but where?

OBIO

NCGent
April 13th, 2011, 12:43
I've had issues like that on re-installs and after a few scans of CCleaner and a restart all went as it should. Try that.

Chris

awj112
April 13th, 2011, 12:46
I have used a variation of OBIO's advice. I stuck FS2004 on my C: drive but just not under "program files"; its too restrictive.

Motormouse
April 14th, 2011, 12:01
I was hoping someone could explain to me how to do a complete uninstall, then a "clean" reinstall of FS9. Here's the problem, about 5 days ago I went to install Soul Prana's runway lighting textures, I went into the fs9.cfg only to discover that the following lines were not listed:

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_SURFACE_SCALAR=
RUNWAY_LIGHTS_VASI_SCALAR=
RUNWAY_LIGHTS_APPROACH_SCALAR=
RUNWAY_LIGHTS_STROBE_SCALAR=

I deleted the fs9.cfg file, started up FS9 again, then went back to the fs9.cfg file only to discover that the lines were still missing. After trying 4 uninstalls/re-installs of FS9, I still have the same problem plus more. Ultimate Terrain will install, but not show up in the Scenery Library, plus Scenery not installed in FS9 at this time will show up in FS9, as the pictures will indicate. I have done everything I can think of to uninstall FS9, including deleting the FS9 folder in the c:\users\user\appdata\roaming\microsoft folder to deleting the FS9 register entries. Does anyone have an idea what could be the problem?. I'm almost certain that there's another hidden folder that holds some information regarding FS9, but haven't found it.

Thanks

Oh my you really got yourself in a mess... you need to manually add those lines to the 'display' section of the fs9.cfg by opening the .cfg with notepad or similar text program

See my post in the tips and tricks section under fs9.cfg tweaks

ttfn

Pete