PDA

View Full Version : Went to my first baseball game in 47 years this past Sunday.....

Navy Chief
April 12th, 2011, 14:22
Drove to Chattanooga (about 1 1/2 hours from me), to see the Chattanooga "Lookouts" play the Tennessee "Smokies"....the Knoxville team. Almost 90 degrees! Unusually hot for this time of year. Had a great time! Found a seat at a cafe overlooking the outfield. Drank some cold beer, ate hotdogs, and thoroughly enjoyed myself!

I did some checking, and see there is a team at Fort Myers, FL, close to where I'll be living soon. The team is called "Miracle". I'll be down there the first couple weeks of May, and plan to go to a game then too!

Play Ball!!!

NC

Wittpilot
April 12th, 2011, 15:10
I went to my first Major League game in over 20 years last year... I'm a big soccer fan, so to go to a game in a sport where there is soooooooooooooooo much down time is a reeaaall drag...

Here's the neat part though.... when I was a kid, the last game I had been to was......... Tom Browning's Perfect Game! I didn't know what the hell was going on at the time, but I got to see a Perfect Game!!!!

BTW, Everyone I know say that the Minor Leagues are 10X more enjoyable to watch....

-witt

pilottj
April 12th, 2011, 17:07
baseball is fun to go to. for me the my favorite way to experience the game is to listen to it on the radio. that way i can do what ever activity...like flightsimming and mentally tune into the game now and then :)

Cazzie
April 13th, 2011, 15:34
It's such a leisurely game Chief, even TV cannot eff it up, because unless you change pitchers, you go a half an inning and then you have time for commercial (or to get some snacks, ales, go to the restroom). And it's a social game, you don't root like an idiot at a race or a football or basketball game, always on edge, you can actually talk to the person next to you.I grew up with baseball, probably the first gift I ever recall after infancy was a ball, glove, and bat. :>) I go to all the games, High School, college, Pro. Our local Rookie League doesn't begin until June 21. But I go to Greensboro for the Grasshoppers and to Lynchburg for the Hilltoppers (this year a Braves farm club, upper A league). On Tuesdays, all seniors get into the Lynchburg games for $2.00 and get beers for $1.50. :>) My kind of game. Oh and how many babes did you have to squint at? :>))

Caz

Navy Chief
April 13th, 2011, 16:22
Oh and how many babes did you have to squint at? :>)) Caz

Cazzie, the "eyeball liberty" was outstanding! I was sitting right in front of a ramp that led up to the cafe. There were times when it was truly difficult to watch the game because of "distractions" walking in front of me:)

NC

Wittpilot
April 13th, 2011, 17:57
You know what's neat to watch? yeah, yeah, the babes, I know...but other than that.... Old Time Baseball.....no time wasting, no spitting, no scratching.....

Cazzie
April 14th, 2011, 06:25
You know what's neat to watch? yeah, yeah, the babes, I know...but other than that.... Old Time Baseball.....no time wasting, no spitting, no scratching.....

Witt,

Afraid to tell you that spitting and baseball were created together. :>) So was the scratching, but that was in the days of wool uniforms. And I too love a pitcher who gets the show on the road, Roy Halladay is my kind of pitcher. I hate a pitcher who cannot throw strikes. Makes a game sleepy and boring. Bad for the players in the field too, they sit back on their heels and are not ready when a ball is hit. I'd rather a pitcher give up four straight HRs than walk four straight batters. At least with the HRs he was throwing strikes and the batters had to work for the run production. Nothing in sports is better than a good one-on-one pitcher's duel with both pitchers on their A-game!