PDA

View Full Version : Recent annoyance with online chat rooms!

CodyValkyrie
April 12th, 2011, 12:22
I just thought I might share my frustration recently while trying to find a nice online chatroom to talk about my favorite hobby. I remembered that SOH once had a chatroom, however I had little to no luck trying to find it. My next avenue was to search one on the internet....

Attempt 1: Found an IRC chat room for FSX. Immediately noticed that when I logged in all the members of the room had names which were plays on marijuana. Trying to strike up a conversation lead absolutely nowhere and I was talking to myself. I can take guesses why they were so non-responsive, but I digress.

Attempt 2: Found ANOTHER IRC chat room with about six people in it. Of those six, only one talked. After a few moments, he then stopped talking and I was unable to pry a keyboarded word from his virtual mouth.

Attempt 3: Finding an old post by Bill Ortis, I looked up a Yahoo chat room called "The Hanger." Unfortunately, the room entirely consisted of bots... a problem that apparently STILL hasn't been resolved by Yahoo. Since literally nobody was there who was HUMAN, I left, but not before getting assaulted by a mob of 18 year old female college students who love to play X-Box and just happen to have their cam up for anyone who might be interested handing over there credit card.

Attempt 4: Getting desperate, I simply tried to find a room where computer geeks like myself on Yahoo might assemble to chat about geeky things. I found it, unfortunately like the previous room there were a lot of bots... but it was inhabited with people I assume who have souls. Problem is, most of them did not speak English and there happened to be some type of strange common knowledge contest happening.

In frustration, I simply gave up. I was unable to find any "good" chat rooms on any of the other major sites as well. I guess chat rooms saw their prime in the 90s and early 2000s, but today? Meh. Perhaps I am behind the curve. Or perhaps I should join the crowd and get myself an automated bot which takes people's credit card numbers... you know, for age verification.

stiz
April 12th, 2011, 13:03
JTwJetox_tU

:engel016:

ZEUS67
April 12th, 2011, 13:07
I just thought I might share my frustration recently while trying to find a nice online chatroom to talk about my favorite hobby. I remembered that SOH once had a chatroom, however I had little to no luck trying to find it. My next avenue was to search one on the internet....

Attempt 1: Found an IRC chat room for FSX. Immediately noticed that when I logged in all the members of the room had names which were plays on marijuana. Trying to strike up a conversation lead absolutely nowhere and I was talking to myself. I can take guesses why they were so non-responsive, but I digress.

Attempt 2: Found ANOTHER IRC chat room with about six people in it. Of those six, only one talked. After a few moments, he then stopped talking and I was unable to pry a keyboarded word from his virtual mouth.

Attempt 3: Finding an old post by Bill Ortis, I looked up a Yahoo chat room called "The Hanger." Unfortunately, the room entirely consisted of bots... a problem that apparently STILL hasn't been resolved by Yahoo. Since literally nobody was there who was HUMAN, I left, but not before getting assaulted by a mob of 18 year old female college students who love to play X-Box and just happen to have their cam up for anyone who might be interested handing over there credit card.

Attempt 4: Getting desperate, I simply tried to find a room where computer geeks like myself on Yahoo might assemble to chat about geeky things. I found it, unfortunately like the previous room there were a lot of bots... but it was inhabited with people I assume who have souls. Problem is, most of them did not speak English and there happened to be some type of strange common knowledge contest happening.

In frustration, I simply gave up. I was unable to find any "good" chat rooms on any of the other major sites as well. I guess chat rooms saw their prime in the 90s and early 2000s, but today? Meh. Perhaps I am behind the curve. Or perhaps I should join the crowd and get myself an automated bot which takes people's credit card numbers... you know, for age verification.

I want to know what those bots were saying to each other.

michael davies
April 12th, 2011, 13:08
I kinda liked attempt 3, but only if I can use your CC :).

I think chat rooms have died a death, not that I ever used them, but they just seem to have dropped off the radar, something else must have replaced them because humans are naturally very talkative, I work with youngsters and all they do is text all day, its a devil of a job to get them to actually do any work! :).

Best

Michael

jp
April 12th, 2011, 13:11
Just curious Michael,
Was it you that was doing the F-14 for aerosoft? If so, I was just wondering how its coming.

Jp

Kiwikat
April 12th, 2011, 13:35
The new ORBX chat room has had some real people in it. :wiggle:

michael davies
April 12th, 2011, 13:36
Just curious Michael,
Was it you that was doing the F-14 for aerosoft? If so, I was just wondering how its coming.

Jp

JP, yes it was me, however, just after Xmas it hit me, modeling wasn't for me any more, so I ducked out and left Aerosoft and Alphasim (was semi retired there anyway), handed all the source files over to Aerosoft, wasn't overly happy about it as it was, 'naturally' my best ever mesh, but reality is a hard pill to swallow and it was the best for everyone.

Still not sure if it was ever the right decision, shades of 'you'll never work in this town again' LOL, not that I have any intention right now or ever at the moment. Aerosoft was/is a great place to work, shame it didn't happen 5 years ago, who knows things might have turned out different, one of those regrets that will haunt me for some considerable time.

So, afraid to say, I don't know how its going, we were working on some very cool VC stuff and animations coupled with flight dynamics, it was all moving at a fast pace and the model I left them with will at least allow them to progress the coding and programing side for some time before any new mesh work is required.

Sorry to disappoint and the extended OT dialog.

Kindest

Micheal

guzler
April 12th, 2011, 15:26
I'll go for option 3, sounds kinda interesting, although my landings might be a bit ropey with distractions like that !!!!!

Shylock
April 12th, 2011, 16:02
The new ORBX chat room has had some real people in it. :wiggle:

Theres an ORBX chat room? Do share good sir.

Stiz my favorite Chatroulette vid is this one. Some kid tries messing with people but at 2:36 he gets a surprise. First time I seen it I had damn near choked on my drink laughing so hard.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/o3Su3u1u_tA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

peter12213
April 12th, 2011, 16:44
Would be great to have a Soh chat room, it's areal shame we haven't got one!

Lateral-G
April 12th, 2011, 16:45
It's been over 10 or 12 years now since I've been to a chat room......

Kiwikat
April 12th, 2011, 17:50
Theres an ORBX chat room? Do share good sir.

It is on the top at their new forum. Last time I went on there, we got like 9 people chatting.

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/index.php

jp
April 12th, 2011, 18:19
The F-14 looked like it was going to be fantastic, aerosoft hasn't updated in a loooonnggg time. Sorry to hear modeling isn't for you anymore, but I hope you enjoy your pursuit of other things that interest you, and hopefully you'll stick around the community.

Jp

stiz
April 12th, 2011, 23:30
Would be great to have a Soh chat room, it's areal shame we haven't got one!

we used to, but nobody used it :engel016:

michael davies
April 13th, 2011, 01:18
The F-14 looked like it was going to be fantastic, aerosoft hasn't updated in a loooonnggg time. Sorry to hear modeling isn't for you anymore, but I hope you enjoy your pursuit of other things that interest you, and hopefully you'll stick around the community.

Jp

Just as a closure to my above, yes I am enjoying one of my new pastimes http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=74287 maybe a carrier when I get a little more skilled LOL, Essex of course, silly not to use all that info I collected for the FSx ones :).

Sorry for the OT diversion.

Sincere regards

Michael

NickB
April 13th, 2011, 04:13
Stiz,

Thanks for showing piano improv, laughed loads. That guys got a great talent.:applause:

Francois
April 13th, 2011, 09:29
I thought chat rooms are for pedophiles tehse days? IMHO Facebook is where you connect nowadays...... chatroooms are 'out' and even forums are on the decline ;-)

CodyValkyrie
April 13th, 2011, 11:49
I'm way too young to be behind the social curve... of course, technically speaking, I have also been doing the computer thing for 20 years now.

Oh dear.

You have no idea how often I get requests from friends/family/fans to use my Facebook. Francois you just reiterated to me my need to do that... not only for personal reasons, but for business. This is something I am NOT looking forward to.

Bjoern
April 13th, 2011, 13:21
Chatrooms...how 1990s/early 2000s, lol.

P.S: Facebook might be a better source for conversation.

GrinningJester
April 13th, 2011, 16:30
Haven't opened mIRC in 5 years

peter12213
April 13th, 2011, 17:15
Actually that's a good point I have quite a few friends and follow a number of developers on facebook! It's a great place to find out what they are doing, Iris for example are almost always posting on facebook there recent developments like the F22 PC21 and F15E!

Daveroo
April 14th, 2011, 07:23
i chat everyday in prospero dlphi chats...if you want an FSX chatroom..go to delphi..and open a forum and a chatroom ( it will cost you to start) and then you can advertise it somehow and have it as a flightsim chatroom,,,i talk to police officers,fire fighters,lawyers,fat middleaged women trying to be barbie.and all sorts....even chat with a guy who owns aircraft in alaska and he is friends with jim tweto and cliff everrat,and i know many disabled skidrow types....like me.....:running: errrr i mean flightsim fans