PDA

View Full Version : ok time to downgrade sadly... (if you can call it a downgrade)

Matt Wynn
April 11th, 2011, 03:03
Unfortunately guys there has come a time when i can't take as many photos so my Alpha kit is gaining dust, but will still be used from time to time... until one of those days i have plans to get hold of a Fujifilm S9500 (allbeit 2nd hand as they're no longer production)... here are the specs of the S9500 and you'll probably see why i'm planning to get hold of one for the airshow season....

9MP
28-300mm zoom lens with twist Barrel zoom control (10.7x optical zoom equates as at max.)
Low sensitivity of ISO 80
1.8 tilting LCD screen for easy high and low angle shooting
0.01s Shutter Lag and 0.8s start up
Can shoot in RAW format
Auto & Manual Focus

in theory this should tide me over until i get funds to get hold of the next gen of cameras, if any of you have experience with the S9500 let me know, as i only have experience with it's much older brother the S5000 coupled to a 10x fixed zoom lens when it comes to Fujis... if it hadn't been for Bills and things i wouldn't have had to sell my kit for my A200 (including Bigma :frown: ) and that would've gone on airshow circuit with me... but sometimes things happen that stop you doing what you'd like to do....

Ferry_vO
April 14th, 2011, 01:45
Shame you have to sell your gear Matt!

That S9500 looks like a good camera, but not sure if it can compete with an SLR for doing airshow photography.

BTW Like that poster in the background of your avatar! ;)

Matt Wynn
April 14th, 2011, 05:22
thanks ferry yeah got it at RIAT last year then tracked down 'Hitec' to sign it, next to it is another Koninklijke Luchtmacht poster, a 322sqn F-16 lit up at night... also got the patch sat between the two...

but yeah, wish i hadn't had to sell some kit but things change for the worst at times, still will give a 9500 a try at RIAT this year then write a review, got a few walkarounds to make at RIAT, so i'll be able to test all aspects, from Focusing and exposure all the way through the spectrum and even be able to test ease of use... could be a good test...

Stratobat
April 14th, 2011, 11:02
Hey Smoothie,

If you can, have a look at the Panasonic Lumix FZ50 as well.

Regards,
Stratobat

Matt Wynn
April 15th, 2011, 08:58
ok provided i can secure some funding i may get both of these and do a side by side test at RIAT, kinda review and write up finding from a 'complete amateurs' perspective, the challenges really will be the details on the static stuff and of course the flying, especially shutter speeds and exposure settings, if not i'll test the Fuji at Baxterley Wings and Wheels (local small show) and the Lumix at RIAT, both look equally good cameras but which will be triumphant.... time might just tell :icon_lol:

EasyEd
April 15th, 2011, 17:43
Hey All,

Is the new Nikon P500 doable? About $400 US. Focal length 22mm to 810mm 35 mm equivalent. F3.5 to F5.7 and 12 megapixels. Might be a good option if not too much.

-ED-