PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody else here fly classic tubes?

AndyG43
April 10th, 2011, 12:31
In which case get yourself over to the Historic Jetliners Group (http://www.simviation.com/hjg/main.htm), as HJG are celebrating their 5th birthday with oodles of updates (http://tonymadgehjg.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=news&action=display&thread=4183), including another addition to their wonderful Caravelle series.

A massive thank you from me to Mark, Tony & all they guys at HJG who have given me so much enjoyment over the last few years - and who knows what the next 5 may bring! :salute:

HorusJ
April 10th, 2011, 20:54
I do Andy.

I frequent HJG.The Convairs(880s,990s)are my favorite with the Tristars a close second.But the 707s/135s don't like me.Then again Boeing aircraft have never liked me. :icon_lol:

I second your thank you.Happy 5th HJG!

J

Blackbird686
April 11th, 2011, 09:22
Only in a few exceptions... the AFG Caravelle... In retro United Airlines Livery and French Air Force. The others include the Boeing Poseidon (a 737-800 set up for Anti Submarine Warefare) and a host of Project Opensky 737 aircraft. I have been spotted in the left seat of the Lockheed YC-121 Turbo Constellation from time to time.

PS -- Hey Andy, I just went over to the HJG site and downloaded some excellent sounds for my Caravelle. Thanks for the HU!

BB686:USA-flag:

srgalahad
April 11th, 2011, 10:07
For anyone who followed the SOH effort in 2011 Round The World Race, it would be noticed that quite a few legs were flown ( when appropriate) with the HJG CV990 and a couple appear to have been done in a 707 or two.

Guess I'll take a peek and see what the 'birthday boys' have added to the collection :icon_lol:

wombat666
April 11th, 2011, 10:11
Heading off in a few minutes.
If I had to pick a favourite classic tubeliner it would be the DC8-63 series.
Not an aircraft that likes being rotated too early at all!!
:running:

nigel richards
April 13th, 2011, 02:00
In which case get yourself over to the Historic Jetliners Group (http://www.simviation.com/hjg/main.htm), as HJG are celebrating their 5th birthday with oodles of updates (http://tonymadgehjg.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=news&action=display&thread=4183), including another addition to their wonderful Caravelle series.

A massive thank you from me to Mark, Tony & all they guys at HJG who have given me so much enjoyment over the last few years - and who knows what the next 5 may bring! :salute:

Great HU AndyG43, those people have some amazing versions of the 707 family. I love those 'improperliners' as well as 'properliners' :wiggle:

Willy
April 13th, 2011, 09:55
I like their 727 and Tristar. But when it comes to jetliners, the De Havilland Comet is it for me.

daypharris
April 13th, 2011, 13:53
Absolute favorite freeware classic tubes: David Maltbys DeHavilland Comet, HS Trident and BAC-111! Another goodies: Tinmouse II 732adv and HJG's McDonnell Douglas DC-9 series..

Desert Rat
April 13th, 2011, 14:59
VC10, that thing is the MOST beautiful tube ever invented. I remember standing under the wing of an RAF tanker in hemp, that whale tale was truly awesome to a 4ft midget (I'm a good bit bigger now, lol) Except maybe for the Dh Comet. It's close mind.

Initially the jet engine freed us from dangling them from under the wings, no prop clearance needed. I always thought it was a crying shame we seem to have done that with jet engines as well.

Jamie

AndyG43
April 13th, 2011, 15:07
Being an old person (hihihi) I've actually flown on the Comet (one of Dan Air's last in service) and the VC-10 (I was 11, flying back from Canada - sunrise from the cockpit of a VC-10 was a truly magical experience) & have very fond memories of both; the VC-10 especially was a wonderful aircraft, a typical piece of British over engineering and wonderfully luxurious.

And even the French acknowledged that the Comet was pretty - after all, they used the nose on the early Caravelle's.

SpitXIV
April 13th, 2011, 22:21
I grew up with the 707's and 727's those were clearly beautiful liners. The stretch
eights were amazing too.

nigel richards
April 17th, 2011, 08:07
I like their 727 and Tristar. But when it comes to jetliners, the De Havilland Comet is it for me.

:bump:glad you like improperliners too Willy! That 727 is also a favourite of mine and I'm just getting used to HJG's Dc-9, give it a whirl if you haven't already done so; the panel's really impressive as well as the sounds. :salute:

Willy
April 17th, 2011, 13:15
With Douglasses, I stop at the DC-7. :d

nigel richards
April 17th, 2011, 14:19
With Douglasses, I stop at the DC-7. :d
Yeah, good ship, that one. The 6B's my pick...just a sucker for PW's I suppose!
Ah for the days of 'properliners'! :cowboy: