View Full Version : Duck !

full
April 9th, 2011, 13:57
Gumman Duck that is, over at Avsim Russia

http://www.avsimrus.com/f/fsx-aircrafts-79/grummanj2f-37280.html

Hurricane91
April 9th, 2011, 14:32
Gumman Duck that is, over at Avsim Russia

It appears to be an all new model and very nicely done. The readme identifies the designer as " SWingman" from Tver, Russia.

racartron
April 9th, 2011, 15:16
Really is a nice bird except for a tendency to flip over to port in the water. She'll sit there for a moment then slowlly start rolling over until she crashes. So far I've not been able to fix it. But then it's somewhere in the config file and I haven't a clue what to do.

Also noticed the artifical horizon is off as well. That may be linked as the plane seems to be trying to correct itself.

Milton Shupe
April 9th, 2011, 16:05
Sounds like a contact point issue for the outer floats.

OBIO
April 9th, 2011, 17:21
I have the attitude gauge fixed...it was an issue in the vacuum system. And I have the heading indicator issue fixed...every time I changed directions, I got a "heading indicator is off" measage...again, a vacuum system issue. The J2F4 sits well on the water, takes off just fine, lands just fine. The J2F6 tips over to the right. I took a look at the contact point info in the config file and it looks fine...will do some comparison between the F4 and F6 and see if I can find the difference. Once I have that issue resolved, I will post a set of air and config files for both planes as an attachment in this thread.

And tomorrow, I will see what I can come up with for a sound pack for the Duck. I have been waiting a LONG time for a Duck with a nice VC....and today my wait is OVER! Just need to iron out some kinks in this really nice plane.

OBIO

Flyboy208
April 9th, 2011, 17:58
A very well modeled aircraft, I tried doing a better, improved prop blur for it, but it appears it is modeled and not a texture file - I could be wrong. Best freeware Duck yet for FS IMO - thanks very much for the link ... Mike :wavey:

johnh_049
April 9th, 2011, 18:40
It says FSX , does it also work for FS9?

OBIO
April 9th, 2011, 18:45
John

The Duck works fine in FS9....though it does have a few issues. The attitude gauge doesn't work right (I have that fixed via a vacuum system tweak), the direction indicator was a bit wonky (I have that fixed as well) and the F6 variant falls over to the right and "crashes"...will be taking a look at that here in a bit. The VC is nice, the external modeling is nice. Overall, based on two short flights, the flight dynamics seem okay...I haven't compared them to the performance specs of the real Duck yet...but the plane flies well.

OBIO

OBIO
April 9th, 2011, 19:27
Here ya go gents....air and config files for the J2F4 and J2F6 Ducks that have the attitude and direction gauges working properly and the J2F6 no longer falling over...even after some really really hard belly smacking landings.

OBIO

OBIO
April 9th, 2011, 19:50
Sound pack just uploaded to the library under FS2004 Sounds. Based on the tweaked FS9 DC-3 R-1820 sound files. How accurate are they sounds....I have no idea, but they sound darn good.

OBIO

Flyboy208
April 9th, 2011, 19:52
Tim, your modifications are much appreciated ! Mike :salute:

OBIO
April 9th, 2011, 20:07
I have been longing for a Grumman Duck for ages....it's been number 2 on my FS wish list since I got into FS...which has only been 2 or 3 Christmases ago (before that I was a CFS2 simmer who was yearning for a good Duck). Yeah....this package is a dream come true. When I saw the post about this new one...I was on it like stink on stinky stuff, like white on white stuff.

It is so nice having a Duck with really good external modeling, a nice VC, and few bugs. Luckily, the bugs were of the nature that I could correct them easily....and I did.

Now if someone were to do a really nice Grumman Goose......I have Bill Lyon's piece of art, but I find painting it to be like a 500 pound woman painting her toe nails....nearly impossible in other words. Oh, and a Grumman Mallard as well.

OBIO

OBIO
April 9th, 2011, 21:52
I have looked into the MDL materials and pin pointed the prop blur materials...tomorrow I will do a lot of trial and error tweaking until I get the prop blur to look better. It won't be as nice as a texture derived prop blur, but I will do what I can to improve it.

OBIO

Drzook
April 10th, 2011, 01:47
Full, thank you for the heads-up on this beautiful bird!:ernae:
OBIO, thank you for the mods!:ernae:
I'd been looking on and off again for years for a Duck without a cowling so I could paint it up like the one in Murphy's War. Now it turns out I don't have to paint it either. That's a 'win-win' in my book!
The part in the movie where Murphy teaches himself how to fly the Duck is one of those seminal scenes forever burned into my childhood psyche (kind of like when I got to see Star Wars for the first time at 5 1/2 at a drive in). I am looking forward to doing some U-boat hunting up the river. Again, thanks guys!:salute::salute:

Wild Bill Kelso
April 10th, 2011, 02:36
Thanks for your tweaks, OBIO!
Very much looking forward to your prop blur improvement.
Considering the fine exterior modeling, it's hard for me to imagine how its designer SWingman could have been satisfied with such a prop appearance...

Anyone else but me needing a decent 2D pit?
I'll see what I could do about adding this item to the party... :jump:

Cheers,
Markus.

Z-claudius24
April 10th, 2011, 04:05
Hi,

Here ya go gents....air and config files for the J2F4

Thank you so much :applause:

racartron
April 10th, 2011, 06:02
Thanks OBIO. The community now has a great Duck(ie) to splash around with.

Y'all should please note my recent thread about spooky stuff. I posted the comments on the Duck in this thread and guess what? A new sound file magically appeared. I rest my case:jump:

WarHorse47
April 10th, 2011, 07:00
Wow. Impressive. :applause::applause::applause:

I was looking for a Duck just a couple of weeks ago. Did the install this morning along with OBIO's mods, and went for a short hop. Did a water landing and takeoff, and back to the field. Toured around the cockpits and compartment. This is a keeper.
Thanks for your mods, OBIO. :ernae:

--WH

OBIO
April 10th, 2011, 08:59
I have the prop blur on the J2F4 adjusted to about 1/2 the solidity of the stock settings. It looks better...isn't great, but better. Have the three J2F6 models to do the prop blur adjustments to. And I have the prop animation ratio bumped up to help improve the prop blur a bit more. Before I upload the tweaked MDLs, I will make sure that they are all ready to receive reflective texturing..maybe 4 minutes work per MDL file involved there. Right now, it's in the mid-70s, just a gentle breeze blowing....I am heading down to the pond to see if I can coax a Bass or two to come out and play.

OBIO

norab
April 10th, 2011, 09:39
Been away for a few days and just got back, what a surprise, My all time favorite out in a new and better bird. Thanks so much for the link and Tim thank you so much for the mods,:salute: waiting for prop with bated breath :jump::jump::jump:

OBIO
April 10th, 2011, 10:11
I just threw some hasty alpha channels onto the J2F6 Duck...and it is reflective already. I would assume that the rest of the MDL files are also reflective ready.

I also zipped up a set of UV Maps for both Ducks so that painters can see how all the parts are layed out on the texture sheets. Will upload it to FS2004 Other section in just a few shakes of a Duck's feathers.

OBIO

falcon409
April 10th, 2011, 10:51
OBIO, it doesn't say in your readme, but I assume the changes you made to the cfg and airfile were FS9 only??

OBIO
April 10th, 2011, 11:08
Falcon

The tweaks I made should work in FSX....I haven't tested it but there are folks over in the FSX forum talking about this package and some of them have installed the tweaks to fix the attitude gauge, direction gauge and tipping over issue on the F6 Duck. Seems to be working okay.

I will drop this bird into FSX and see how the FSX files work...if they need tweaked I will apply that same tweaks to them as well.

_____

I have the prop blur tweaks done.....the prop blur still isn't great, but it's better. This is the best I could make it look. Will be uploading the tweaked MDLs to the FS2004 Other section in a bit....have also included the tweaked air and config files in the package as well.

OBIO

Yossarian1943
April 10th, 2011, 13:46
Realy a nice bird. Always wanted a Grumman Duck for FS9. Thanks to Swingman and OBIO for his improvements.:applause:

robert41
April 10th, 2011, 14:39
Thanks Obio for the mods.

OBIO
April 10th, 2011, 14:55
The mods are continuing. Working to bring in a much better set of flight dynamics. The stock FDE left the plane with way too much slipperiness and it would not slow down for landings. I pulled the FDE files from Paul Clawson's FS2004 Duck and am working on getting them fully incorporated into this new one. Initial test on the J2F4 showed a marked improvement in landings with the plane slowing down nicely when the throttle was pulled back and touch downs were as sweet at a 5 pound bar of milk chocolate.

OBIO

Sunny9850
April 10th, 2011, 16:39
Thanks for the HU guys and the tweaks Tim. Works great so far for me in FS9 and a quick look in FSX.

I have one question regarding the fuel selector though. I experimented with it in the air...dumb idea i know...and while it still reported to be on ALL afterwards and I had fuel in all tanks the engine quit. No restarting and no resetting the selector possible at that time. After gliding to a splashdown I reloaded the AC and it ran just fine again.

That was in the 4 by the way.

Stefan

racartron
April 10th, 2011, 16:49
For all those Shockwave addicts out there.

[lights]
//Types: 1=beacon, 2=strobe, 3=navigation, 4=cockpit, 5=landing
light.0 = 3, 0.90, -19.80, 4.10, fx_shockwave_navred
light.1 = 3, 0.90, 19.80, 4.10, fx_shockwave_navgre
light.2 = 3, -21.0, 0.00, 1.20, fx_shockwave_navwhi
light.3 = 3, -8.75, 1.75, -2.00, fx_shockwave_navwhi
light.4 = 3, -8.75, -1.75, -2.00, fx_shockwave_navwhi
light.5 = 6, 0.3, 2.170, -3.0, fx_shockwave_navwhi
light.6 = 6, 0.3, -2.170, -3.0, fx_shockwave_navwhi
light.7 = 4, -0.49, 1.00, 1.60, fx_shockwave_vclight,
light.8 = 4, -0.49, -1.00, 1.60, fx_shockwave_vclight,
light.9 = 4, -4.07, 0.00, 1.25, fx_shockwave_vclight,
light.10 = 5, 1.42, -13.0, -2.1, fx_shockwave_landing_light_tail_old
light.11 = 2, 0.90, -19.80, 4.10, fx_shockwave_strobe_nl
light.12 = 2, 0.90, 19.80, 4.10, fx_shockwave_strobe_nl_2

I know Strobes were not on the originals, but I just love 'em. For the purists just comment them out. ( // light.11 = 2, 0.90.........)

BTW the settings work on both versions.

Edit: Ooops, I left out the panel.cfg settings; Add to end of vc1 section. Really cool to watch the lights go out automatically when the gear comes up.

gauge20=shockwave_lights!SW Lights_gear, 1,1,1,1
gauge21=shockwave_lights!SW Lights_taxi, 1,1,1,1

andersel
April 10th, 2011, 18:02
[QUOTE=Wild Bill Kelso;571107]Thanks for your tweaks, OBIO!
...Anyone else but me needing a decent 2D pit?
I'll see what I could do about adding this item to the party... :jump:

Cheers,
Markus.[/QUOTE

That would be GREAT, Markus (as was the Cessna 185, by the way!). Your 2D efforts are much appreciated. LA

OBIO
April 10th, 2011, 19:06
racartron

I will incorporate your Shockwave lights set up into the revised config files I am putting together for the Duck.....as an option for those who have the package.

____

Sunny

I will test the fuel selector with the new config files....it may not be a problem in them.

______

The "new" config files will be uploaded as soon as I get them fully tested in FS9. Give me a day or so...was a really nice Spring day here and I spent a lot of the day outside. Went down to the pond to do some fishing, cleaned last fall's leaves out of the flower bed, had the dogs outside a lot today. I hear tomorrow is supposed to be pretty rainy, so I will be able to sit at the PC more and do more testing and tweaking.

OBIO

Sunny9850
April 10th, 2011, 19:12
Hi Tim,

I don't think the fuel selector has anything to do with your cfg files. I simply wanted to ask if anyone else had noticed that issue.
I actually never even tried the plane without your files. Just plugged them in and fired up the big radial :icon_lol:

My appologies if my earlier post implied any connection between your files and the selector issue.

Cheers
Stefan

OBIO
April 10th, 2011, 19:56
My appologies if my earlier post implied any connection between your files and the selector issue.

Cheers
Stefan

Stephan

No need to apologize at all. I took no implication from it what so ever.

I just checked out the "fuel selector" on the left console of both variants of the Duck. They don't work like fuel selectors at all....they work like master fuel valves...either the fuel is on or it's off. That "selector" is modeled into the VC and the coding for it is not correct....it is coded to work at the extremes of ALL ON or ALL OFF. Hopefully I can get around that by creating a pop up window for Fuel Control with a working fuel gauge and fuel selector.

I have an Engine Control Panel pop up window created....painted green to match the VC side panels and used the stock F4F gauges (ECU, Magneto Switch, Master Swith, Ignition, engine gauges). Works like a charm.

I also have a GPS and a Radio Stack (from the default C-172) pop up window created and in place. I know the C-172 Radio Stack is not suited for this bird...nor is the GPS...but they are what I use and am familiar with. It is a simple job for someone to change things around to a more correct WW2 style radio stack.

Will do some more testing with the revised config file....so far the results are good...other than the plane nearly jumps into the air. Lift off from water is around 53 KIAS..and that is hands free with no input from the control stick. I have read that the Duck took off like a homesick angel, but 53 knots?!?! There is a huge improvement in the landing behavior....back off the throttle and this bird bleeds air speed very nicely. No more hanging on landing....landing is smooth and gentle at around 65 knots or so.

OBIO

phantomx1
April 10th, 2011, 21:52
Pretty nice daggone Duck!

If you want to add some very nice looking water spray for it try adding Bill Lyons spray effects from his Luscombe on floats and then double back slash out the spray that came with the Grumman duck. Absolutely beautiful on this Duck.

Don't forget to back slash out the one line of the original Duck spray! It gets rid of the fake looking spitting particles.

Thanks for the sinking float fix Tim, love the way you can do doughnuts in the water. Can almost feel the prop blast as the tail swings around past the camera spot view.

OBIO
April 10th, 2011, 22:21
Ooops! I didn't test the J2F6 before attaching the improved FDE files. I will get them packaged up PROPERLY tomorrow and uploaded to the library. I deleted the tweaks I had attached to my posts in this thread as I want to clear the clutter. Tomorrow...when I upload the full tweak package, it will consist of the tweaked MDL files for both planes, a set of FDE files for FS9 and FSX. Now, I don't know how good the FDE sets are.....but I do know they are improvements over the ones that came with the planes. I may even throw in my FS9 panel set up with the Engine Control, Fuel Management, Radio Stack and GPS pop up windows.

OBIO

VPL Paolo Lao
April 11th, 2011, 00:05
Great find, awsome model:applause:

Wild Bill Kelso
April 11th, 2011, 08:01
Your 2D efforts are much appreciated.
Thanks, mate! :salute:

Here's a first sketch of the 2D cab:

http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/tt112/wildbillkelso_berlin/Duck2D_1.jpg

I think one essential popup window including the lower engine gauges will do:

http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/tt112/wildbillkelso_berlin/Duck2D_2.jpg

Most gauges are taken from the VC, just a few (primer & starter toggle, magnetos, fuel pump) obviously are coded into the model, I'll try to replace them with appropriate freeware gauges.

Cheers,
Markus.

OBIO
April 11th, 2011, 08:10
Looking good Wild Bill!

I just uploaded the "final" improvement package for these Ducks. "Final" because I can go no further with the FDE improvements...I have reached the end of my limited abilities. I present the best that I can do with the hope that someone with real skills can take over and make them even better.

Take off runs are much more realistic, with speeds that are real close to real worlds performance specs.

Tail lifts off the ground at around 44KIAS, plane rotates around 77KIAS with a bit of back pressure on the stick. Water take offs are about the same.

The plane now bleeds airspeed much more realistically.

Landings are smooth and easy at 65 to 70KIAS.

Top speed and cruise speeds are pretty darn close to the reported real world specs of 190mph and 155mph.

Now that I am done working to improve these birds, I am going to go FLY them...and crash them since that is what I am best at.

OBIO

phantomx1
April 11th, 2011, 08:39
Could you upload or post an attachment of those new files in a regular type zipped up file other than RAR Obio?

Z-claudius24
April 11th, 2011, 08:48
Hi,

OBIO thank's again and I just come out of test ....

ail lifts off the ground at around 44KIAS, plane rotates around 77KIAS with a bit of back pressure on the stick. Water take offs are about the same. Seem's this plane is now (too much) nose heavy :)
Full trim for take off .. and amount of elevator positive needed
At cruise speed I must keep full positive trim and also put some positive elevator correction for keep level flight.
This was not such phenomena in your first mod
Or I'm missing something ? or maybe you included not the final air file .. but one of your (many I suppose :) ) tests ?

OBIO
April 11th, 2011, 08:52
Claudius

I also noticed the nose heavy trait....this is the result of adding more fuel to the plane. Let me see what I can do to correct that.

phantomx1

Grad WinRAR to uncompress the RAR files. I have been using it to do my compressing and uncompressing for a few years now...works great. Now that SOH allows RAR uploads, I have begun using it since it has a better compression ratio....makes the packages smaller.

OBIO

Blackbird686
April 11th, 2011, 09:41
Could you upload or post an attachment of those new files in a regular type zipped up file other than RAR Obio?

Phantomx1 --

There is a free version of WinRAR that OBIO spoke of... I just "binged" WinRAR and went directly to the official WinRAR website. Make sure if you are running Windows 7 64Bit to download and install the 64Bit version of WinRAR. It comes with 40 days of free support.

I use "PowerZip" from Trident Software, it does it all...:jump:

BB686:USA-flag:

OBIO
April 11th, 2011, 09:56
Claudius

I have tried a few tweaks to try to get reduce the nose heaviness....none of them made a difference. I hope someone who knows more about flight dynamics will pick up where I left off and can get this bird flying as good as it looks. I will keep testing and see what I can come up with, but there is no guarantee that I will have any success.

OBIO

Terry
April 11th, 2011, 10:19
Part or all of the balance problem is the elevator trim does not function.

Also there is a fuel selector switch on both sides.

srgalahad
April 11th, 2011, 10:26
Very interesting.... file has been removed from AVSIMrus

OBIO
April 11th, 2011, 10:36
Hmmm...wonder why the file was removed? Let's hope that this does not turn out to be a pirated package in some way.

OBIO

full
April 13th, 2011, 14:48
WoooHooo ! we can all play with our Ducks now..... Quack

OBIO
April 13th, 2011, 15:08
Yep..it's officially DUCK SEASON!

Now, where were we before the commercial interuptions? Oh yeah, Wild Bill Kelso was working on a 2D panel for this bird, I had uploaded tweaked MDL files for this bird and had uploaded tweaked FDE sets for this bird.

The good news: I have redone the FDE tweaks, starting back with the stock FDE set that came with the package, and have taken my time and done the tweaks slowly, with lots and lots of testing between adjustments. The FS9 flight dynamic sets are as done as I can make them. There are still issues in the overall FDE that aren't right...namely fuel consumption and range. But those are some of the harder areas of the FDE to get right....and for a guy who knows very little about FDE tweaking, I think I did pretty good with what limited ability and knowledge I have.

I will be working on the FSX FDE sets tonight and tomorrow.

And I have been working on the panel.cfg, adding pop up windows and trying to modify some stock FS9 gauges to work fully with the Ducks....like when you put your mouse on the fuel selector, it tells you how much fuel each of the Ducks 3 tanks holds instead of showing you how much fuel each of the DC-3 fuel tanks hold. That sort of stuff.

I will get some uploading done maybe later tonight, maybe tomorrow...I want to test the FS9 FDE sets a bit more before I send them to the library.

IT'S DUCK SEASON!

OBIO

Lateral-G
April 13th, 2011, 15:16
I get a warning from Malwarebytes re: the website linked. It's blocking it as a site with virus potential.

any other places we might be able to d/l?

Lazerbeak
April 13th, 2011, 16:15
I'm glad this plane is back. I usually do not fly aircraft like this, but the model looks too good from the screens, to not try it.

Only thing is, it's too clean, I want to put some dirt on it. :icon_lol:

HorusJ
April 13th, 2011, 16:23
I'm glad this plane is back. I usually do not fly aircraft like this, but the model looks too good from the screens, to not try it.

Only thing is, it's too clean, I want to put some dirt on it. :icon_lol:

Good idea Lazer. Make it look like the salt air and water have not been gentle with it.:applause:

J

OBIO
April 13th, 2011, 16:26
For those who need to download this package, head over to the FSX forum's Freeware Duck thread...it's up in the stickies section....one of those fellas found a way to get it from AVsim.su or .ru or whatever it is....nothing on the internet ever goes away.

OBIO

OBIO
April 13th, 2011, 16:53
I just uploaded a complete set of UV maps for SWingman's Grumman Ducks. This time, I remembered to export UV Maps for all four models.

They are in the FS2004 Other section.

OBIO

Lazerbeak
April 13th, 2011, 17:12
I just uploaded a complete set of UV maps for SWingman's Grumman Ducks. This time, I remembered to export UV Maps for all four models.

They are in the FS2004 Other section.

OBIO
Thank you for this, it saves me time having to do it myself, now I can go right to painting. :applause:

OBIO
April 13th, 2011, 17:55
Just uploaded an enhanced texture for the Duck's R-1820 radial engine. Now the old gal is really showing her jugs...I mean you can really see the engine details now. Oh, FS2004 Other section.

OBIO

PeteHam
April 14th, 2011, 00:29
I've just downloaded the Duck ( missed the first time around ) and I agree with you all, this is a beautiful model.

It's a very slippery beast in the air and mine rolls over to the left in the water ...... ??

Looking forward to your tweaks OBIO and a 2D panel from Markus :jump: :jump:

Hopefully we'll be blessed with many fine textures from our master painters .

:ernae:

Pete.

edmoore235
April 14th, 2011, 06:06
No joy, where can I download this Duck? It seems to have been removed from AVSIM.RU. I did try the Link and system as per FSX forum. Thanks in advance. Ed

Z-claudius24
April 14th, 2011, 06:18
Hi,

where can I download this Duck?
Check your notifications

edmoore235
April 14th, 2011, 07:41
Cool! Thanks - got it. Take care. Have a great day too!

Ed

Blackbird686
April 14th, 2011, 09:31
Just uploaded an enhanced texture for the Duck's R-1820 radial engine. Now the old gal is really showing her jugs...I mean you can really see the engine details now. Oh, FS2004 Other section.

OBIO

Just re-downloaded and installed this little beauty, OBIO's engine textures really bring out some nice detail in that R-1820 radial. Glad I was able to get "the Duck" back in my hangar.

OBIO
April 14th, 2011, 15:50
Just uploaded...Tweaked FDE Sets For FS9 Version 3. These flight dynamic sets are not the best, not intended to be the final answer, just meant to be better than the original flight dynamics files and allow you folks to enjoy these wonderful planes more. Hopefully someone with real FDE skills will pick up where I left off and make them even better.

Known issues: Fuel consumption and range are not dialed in. The best I could do was a range of just over 500 miles on 150 gallons of fuel, 32 pound manifold pressure, prop pitch pulled back to 60%. At that "super cruise" set up, I had an air speed of 145KIAS at 2500 feet MSL.

Uploaded to the FS2004 Other section.

OBIO

Up next....tweaked MDL files and a revised panel config with custom made back grounds for Engine Management and Fuel Management. In a day or two.

Wild Bill Kelso
April 15th, 2011, 09:12
Now, where were we before the commercial interuptions? Oh yeah, Wild Bill Kelso was working on a 2D panel for this bird...

And he meanwhile has finished it! :jump:
Had to tinker some more on the colour gradients, as the panel bitmap just allows 256 colours. Added some "noise" to avoid the meanest "rainbowish" gradients...

Upload done.
Enjoy!

Cheers,
Markus.

edmoore235
April 15th, 2011, 12:33
Dunker, Markus. Another job well done! Take care.

Ed

harrybasset
April 15th, 2011, 23:20
Hi Markus

In response to your question I am still using a 4 : 3 screen.

Wild Bill Kelso
April 16th, 2011, 08:54
In response to your question I am still using a 4 : 3 screen.
Huh - didn't figure out there's still demand for a 4:3 "non-wide" panel. Now I'm convinced:
A "narrow screen" version will follow!

Cheers,
Markus.

OBIO
April 16th, 2011, 09:03
That's Wild Bill. There are some of us who still use non-wide screen monitors. When I built my new system, I went with a new non-wide screen so I could maintain the same height (actually went from a 17 inch to a 19 inch so it got a little taller). In order to maintain the same height aspect of my non-WS 17 inch, I would have had to buy a pretty sizable wide screen...something like a 32 inch...and I just don't have the room on my desk for a 32in WS monitor/TV.

OBIO

Wild Bill Kelso
April 16th, 2011, 09:20
O.K. - no big thing to do this!
Upload is done.

Enjoy! :wavey:

OBIO
April 16th, 2011, 14:41
Thanks, Wild Bill. Will download and install it into my Ducks.

OBIO

gribouil
April 16th, 2011, 23:35
Many thanks OBIO and Markus for your work! :salute:

harrybasset
April 17th, 2011, 08:38
Thank you Wild Bill and OBIO for your enhancements of the Duck.

Mick
April 18th, 2011, 04:03
Holy Cow!

Has anyone checked out the Icarus website? There's a vicious screed against SOH about the Duck! They say this is a pirate site frequented by known pirates and that we've knowingly pirated their Duck (an interesting charge, in that the Duck is not hosted here!) They even have an altered version of a (copyrighted?) SOH banner displayed.

All this despite the fact that they must know as well as anyone that the two Ducks are not the same. It seems plain that all they want to do is get rid of the freeware model so it won't compete with their payware product.

This is slander - it's beyond slander! If these people were based in the US this would be actionable. They could wind up financing Henry's convalescence in a five star spa! Alas, I'm pretty sure they're not in the US (somewhere in Europe, I believe) so they're probably untouchable...

Or are they? Do we have anyone here who knows the legal environment in a situation like this?

http://www.icarusgold.com/ (http://www.icarusgold.com/) then click on the Duck picture and scroll down to the second message, below the Vega material.

I suppose there's nothing we can do, but this really annoys me!

AndyG43
April 18th, 2011, 04:39
Holy Cow!

Has anyone checked out the Icarus website? There's a vicious screed against SOH about the Duck! They say this is a pirate site frequented by known pirates and that we've knowingly pirated their Duck (an interesting charge, in that the Duck is not hosted here!) They even have an altered version of a (copyrighted?) SOH banner displayed.

All this despite the fact that they must know as well as anyone that the two Ducks are not the same. Geez, they're not even for the same sim! It seems plain that all they want to do is get rid of the freeware model so it won't compete with their payware product.

This is slander - it's beyond slander! If these people were based in the US this would be actionable. They could wind up financing Henry's convalescence in a five star spa! Alas, I'm pretty sure they're not in the US (somewhere in Europe, I believe) so they're probably untouchable...

Or are they? Do we have anyone here who knows the legal environment in a situation like this?

http://www.icarusgold.com/ (http://www.icarusgold.com/) then click on the Duck picture and scroll down to the second message, below the Vega material.

I suppose there's nothing we can do, but this really annoys me!

I think the best thing to do here is laugh at the man, treat him with the contempt he deserves, which will hurt him more - because I am sure even though he no longer has an account here, I'll give you even money he's still reading what's posted here regularly.

Actually what makes it even funnier is if you click on his "Satisfied Customers" link; for all he professes to despise SOH he is quite happy to post two good reviews of the Duck citing SOH as the source of the review!!!

And as for his comparing what happened with Prowler/Razbam and his own site!! Beyond contempt!!

Helldiver
April 18th, 2011, 05:23
I'm really hurting for a Grumman J2F. They were my "toys" when I was a kid at the Coast Guard base before the war. But I can't find it on that Russian site. Even when I put it into a search and got nada. Can anyone help?

Mick
April 18th, 2011, 05:45
Bob, check your PMs.

norab
April 18th, 2011, 06:24
I do have one suggestion to make. He also slanders us on his facebook page-but-you can lodge a complaint with facebook that the page is making a false statement. I have already done so but each user can do so only once so if you have facebook and feel so moved I suggest you do what I did

fsafranek
April 18th, 2011, 07:51
I do have one suggestion to make. He also slanders us on his facebook page-but-you can lodge a complaint with facebook that the page is making a false statement. I have already done so but each user can do so only once so if you have facebook and feel so moved I suggest you do what I did
Thanks for the heads up but just my opinion, sometimes its best just to walk away from it. We know who we are. Sim-Outhouse is well know in the FS community with an outstanding reputation. We've done no wrong and made no mistakes. This will all play out fine.

But if anyone makes a response post at the Icarus page on facebook perhaps link it back to one of the admin posts here explaining it all. Also, keep in mind that he can remove anything he wants from his page so it may be a labor in frustration.

stuartcox
April 18th, 2011, 08:25
Pointing out a download link on a website is not illegal in the UK.
SOH is not the distributor of this product, so where's the problem?
In the case of piracy, obviously avsim.ru would be the culprit!
Surely, the original Icarus author can easily clarify this mess!
By creating such a masterpiece, he should recognise his work straight away and be able to prove the origin here and then! (Unless all development work ended in the recycle bin).
As for Facebook, you can count on me!

Wild Bill Kelso
April 18th, 2011, 08:28
... but just my opinion, sometimes its best just to walk away from it. We know who we are. Sim-Outhouse is well know in the FS community with an outstanding reputation. We've done no wrong and made no mistakes...
I completely agree to you!
This guy has disqualified himself to the best of his abilities...

Cheers,
Markus.

AndyG43
April 18th, 2011, 08:31
But if anyone makes a response post at the Icarus page on facebook perhaps link it back to one of the admin posts here explaining it all. Also, keep in mind that he can remove anything he wants from his page so it may be a labor in frustration.

No need to make a response on his Facebook page Frank, to my mind that is just sinking to his level; but reporting the posts to Facebook admin as slanderous and abusive, that I am more than happy to do.

stuartcox
April 18th, 2011, 09:32
Done It!
Shouldn't be hard as there are only 14 followers...

Blackbird686
April 18th, 2011, 10:01
We know who we are. Sim-Outhouse is well know in the FS community with an outstanding reputation. We've done no wrong and made no mistakes.

:applause::applause::applause::ernae::medals: Couldn't have said it any better... After reading all of the nonsense about Icarus and their un-warranted claims that the freeware Duck was a pirated version of theirs, probably because the freeware model is SOOO MUCH nicer than their payware offering IMO.... all I can do is sit back and laff at them. The proof is in the pudding.

hawkeye52
April 18th, 2011, 13:14
Thank you W.B.K./Markus for the "old-fashioned" narrow 2-D panel. :salute:
Some of us *still* use those things. Mine is an (OMG!!!) CRT.

But I also D/L'd the wide version...gotta plan for the future, ya know. :icon_lol:

- h52

WarHorse47
April 18th, 2011, 15:24
Is anyone working on some repaints for the new Duck? (quick exit, stage left).:icon_lol:

--WH

wbuchart
April 18th, 2011, 15:46
...why the Duck hasn't been reinstated at avsimrus. I really hope SWingman didn't get so mad at the whole deal that he decided to get out of the developing altogether........

Lazerbeak
April 18th, 2011, 15:47
Is anyone working on some repaints for the new Duck? (quick exit, stage left).:icon_lol:

--WH
I am working on adding more details to the default paints (that is, weathering, and more shading effects for a realistic look), then maybe some extra paints will be made.

But, this is on "the back-burner", because of other projects, so it will be some time.

OBIO
April 18th, 2011, 16:56
I am putting together a paint kit for the plane...not a huge priority as I have other projects I want to get back to. The downside to painting this plane is the amount of mirrored texture mapping. Wings are mirrored left and right, so that rules out a lot of paints in which only one side would have the national insignia because there is no way to have it just on the top left wing...it would also show on the top right wing.

I e-mailed SWingman the day this whole mess started, letting him know what was going on and seeking his permission to upload his package here on SOH. I haven't heard back from him yet....and in his read me file he says not to expect fast replies to e-mails.

With Icarus Gold still saying that this is pirated from his Ducks, it will be hard to get it back up on Avsimru. I sent them an e-mail explaining the whole ordeal and that the SWingman Ducks were not pirated from the IG Ducks. They sent Icarus a copy of my message and he e-mailed me and basically said that I was a pirate. I again challenged him to PROVE that SWingman's Ducks were pirated from his source code and he has not supplied any proof...not that I thought that he would.

OBIO

Wild Bill Kelso
April 18th, 2011, 22:38
Thank you W.B.K./Markus for the "old-fashioned" narrow 2-D panel.
Glad you like it, mate! :wavey:
The referendum here is quite interesting:
121 downloads for the 16:10 version, 82 for the 4:3 type.
I will have to take this into account for further panels!

Cheers,
Markus.

TARPSBird
April 19th, 2011, 00:32
I e-mailed SWingman the day this whole mess started, letting him know what was going on and seeking his permission to upload his package here on SOH. I haven't heard back from him yet....and in his read me file he says not to expect fast replies to e-mails.
OBIO
Sadly you may not hear from him, after he was immediately accused of pirating the Icarus Duck and his download was pulled from Avsimrus. He may have decided it's not worth the hassle and started building ship models like Mike Stone. :frown:

nigel richards
April 19th, 2011, 01:20
:salute:
For what its worth SWingman's Grumman Duck certainly filled a large gap in my aircraft list. I sincerely hope this hassle hasn't discouraged very welcome talent such as this!
The model has so much potential.
If anyone's interested I've nearly finished some sounds very much akin to those mentioned in 'Murphy's War'. Try finishing today for upload.

Terry
April 19th, 2011, 07:14
Does anyone know why the Murphy's War version was modeled without the moveable section of the canopy? Is that the way it was in the movie?

Bomber_12th
April 19th, 2011, 08:19
Terry, that is indeed why it is modeled that way:
(Another one of those great details properly captured/recreated by 'SWingman')

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/500px-MW_Gr_OA-12_4.jpg

nigel richards
April 19th, 2011, 08:58
:salute: I've just uploaded a soundpack for the 'Murphy's War' Grumman Duck after an 'allnighter'. Its about as authentic to the film sounds as I could get. One or two surprises from panel and VC views. Hope ya like 'em!

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=110&id=3901

Incidentially, Peter O' Toole was a 'regular' at the pub I worked at in Hampstead when I was a young designer in London, during the 'seventies (needed the extra cash).
The making of 'Murphy's War' nearly killed him! Seriously. The unfortunate actor caught a nasty tropical bug during the 'takes' which created a very serious reaction whenever he consumed anything containing alchohol. A real 'bummer' for a great artist and gentleman who enjoyed his tot.

racartron
April 19th, 2011, 09:22
Just had to see Peter in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aED7xvYbMfw&feature=related

racartron
April 19th, 2011, 11:30
Found the best water landing/takeoff effects for this gal. They are from Bill Lyons' Piper Cub Float Plane. What else would ya expect from the Master?:jump:

[effects]
wake=fx_wakeg
water=fx_bowcub
//wake=fx_wake
//water=fx_waterland
;water=fx_spray
dirt = fx_tchdrt
concrete = fx_sparks
//startup=fx_engstrt_jenny
touchdown=fx_tchdwn_s, 1
startup= fx_msd18s << Added this also
windshield_rain_effect_available = 1 << Added this also

nigel richards
April 19th, 2011, 11:56
Just had to see Peter in action.

:salute:racartron, If you liked this vid (and I can tell you I sure did) give the sounds a whirl...Peter's included. No kidding!

I'll take a shot at the effects and think the bird needs a little exhaust in the air too. See what I can dig up. Now I've sorted out the handling to my liking I can't seem to put this little beauty down. Love coming in low at throaty half throttle for close, edgy passes...boy this crate is addictive!

racartron
April 19th, 2011, 11:58
Awesome sound set, Nigel. Running it along side the clip I added sure matches up great. Peter would have been proud:applause: Now he can fly along with us.

nigel richards
April 19th, 2011, 12:03
:ernae: Many thanks for your kind words, racartron. Much appreciated.

racartron
April 19th, 2011, 12:17
I see I'm gonna be annoying the hell outta of the ritzy folfs on Key Largo this afternoon. 800 ft and wide open :icon_lol: I love the way the engine dynamics change so much with different throttle settings.

phantomx1
April 19th, 2011, 12:21
Pretty nice soundset for the Duck Nigel! I could have sworn I heard ..."Fly damit Fly"... in that sound set, seriously! Thanks for putting up that soundset.

edit: Went back and listened thru the files and it wasn't in there. Must have been the immersive imagination! LOL!

nigel richards
April 19th, 2011, 12:42
Pretty nice soundset for the Duck Nigel! I could have sworn I heard ..."Fly damit Fly"... in that sound set, seriously! Thanks for putting up that soundset.

edit: Went back and listened thru the files and it wasn't in there. Must have been the immersive imagination! LOL!

:icon_eek:
Sure it's your imagination? What you should have heard was "fly you bastard, fly" and the file is named MDgearup. This brings me to my next questions; Did you fly from water or land? Did you start-up outside or in the VC?

racartron
April 19th, 2011, 12:48
I flew from the water tried both outside and VC. And I did hear both of the movie clips. Outstanding!!

racartron
April 19th, 2011, 13:14
Make that 3 clips -- when taking off from land.

Yossarian1943
April 19th, 2011, 13:18
Nigel, the sounds are great! :jump:

phantomx1
April 19th, 2011, 13:39
:icon_eek:
Sure it's your imagination? What you should have heard was "fly you bastard, fly" and the file is named MDgearup. This brings me to my next questions; Did you fly from water or land? Did you start-up outside or in the VC?

Ha ha! Maybe I didn't click on that wav file nigel. Just clicked that file. You alright nigel! I'm not crazy! LOL!

I started the flight outside on the tarmac, engine already started. It was in flight, outside, just after lift off that I thought I heard the phrase but it was just barely discernable. I clicked through the file sounds to see if I could hear it again but it wasn't in any of the wav files.

That said I'd like to say that my favorite pastime with this Duck is to get on the water with the active camera spot view set stationary down on the water, and then do some flybys. Best is after the turnarounds dive down to just above the water and when she's heading straight for you, kiss the water one or two times and then rise up just enough to overfly the camera and then dive back down and do the same on the other side going away from the camera. Reminds me of some of those scenes in the movie.

Looks very nice with Bill Lyons Luscombe water spray effects aliased to this Duck. Also back slash out the original water spray, that gets rid of those fake looking spitting particles.

nigel richards
April 19th, 2011, 13:57
Looks very nice with Bill Lyons Luscombe water spray effects aliased to this Duck. Also back slash out the original water spray, that gets rid of those fake looking spitting particles.

:salute:The effects mentioned by Racartron and yourself sound awesome. Please, where should I find Bill Lyons Luscombe water spray effects my friend?

I extend my gratitude to you, phantomx1 and Yossarian1943 for the encouraging comments

Tom Clayton
April 19th, 2011, 14:09
Try this one:
http://www.flightsim.com/file.php?cm=SEARCH1&fsec=0&fname=CC12LUSF.ZIP

phantomx1
April 19th, 2011, 14:13
The effects were in Bill Lyons Luscombe on floats plane. That is where I got them from. I apply them to almost ever float plane of flying boat I run across. They give it a wind blown misty effect and trail nicley.

All you need is to place the effects from the Luscombe on floats into FS9 and then from then on if you want it in a favorite model just add the lines that reference the effect into the effects section of your favorite float plane of choice. I copied and pasted the effect folder and placed it elsewhere on my computer just so I could go to it whenever I needed to look for it again or rather it is just a backup.

This Luscombe is from over at Flightsim by Bill Lyons. I never really liked his Luscombe on floats but really loved the wheeled version which is a different download. Those effects are in the float model. See if this gets you to that float model. Hope you like those effects as much as I do. I think they look very nice. And don't forget to doble backslash out the original Duck spray lines to kill those nasty looking spitting particle, fake looking spray or they will show up too.

http://flightsim.com/file.php

phantomx1
April 19th, 2011, 14:16
Try this one:
http://www.flightsim.com/file.php?cm=SEARCH1&fsec=0&fname=CC12LUSF.ZIP

Tom are those effects in the wheeled version? I didn't think they were, might be! Just asking.

I do know they are in the float model.

Here:
http://flightsim.com/file.php

*** Sorry Racartron I didn't see you post about Bill Lyons Cub. I am going to try to find that float cub and download it to try out. It's effect has different file names but I guess they are probably the same effect as in his Luscombe. But then you never know, they may be different and may even look better than the Luscombe fx's. The luscombe ones are very nice though. Thanks for that reference to the Cub fx's. Going to try them out to see. Who knows, they might be different and better. If they are good I will hoard them in my little effects file station for future use on demand.

racartron
April 19th, 2011, 15:09
Both the wheeled and float versions are in the file.

nigel richards
April 19th, 2011, 15:25
The prompt fx HU from Tom Clayton came under different names to those kindly given by racartron and phantomx1, but certainly seem to fit the bill. They could simply have been renamed.

Much appreciated :salute:

phantomx1
April 19th, 2011, 16:07
Racartron these Cub float effects are indeed a little different than the ones out of the Luscombe float package from Bill Lyons! I like them very much. They are a good bit less dense than the Luscombe ones.

Hard to choose between the two as for which ones look the best. The ones from the Luscombe are just a little bit heavy mist spray and the ones from the Cub seem just a bit light mist spray. I like the color of that cub wake too, it looks more realistic than the lusc which is blue. I think I pick the Cub ones over the luscombe ones. At any rate they are both way much better than that default spitting rocks spray. LOL! Thanks for that ref Racartron! I am adding them ti my created cache effects library folder I started.:ernae:

beana51
April 19th, 2011, 19:43
Thanx Mr. RACARTRON.....Yes the water effect on this "QUACKER"..major visual improvement in my FS9,..Thanx much!..this "DUCK" is getting the full treatment by some talented people..Water ,Sound,and other stuff....Starting to have Character, this pampered DUCK...again thanx to all involved...great gifts!!....:salute:

racartron
April 19th, 2011, 19:57
My pleasure guys. Looks like we are working up to a group hug here:icon_lol:

Be sure to install the latest FDE bits from OBIO. He kindly included my Shockwave setup in the modified aircraft.cfgs for both planes.

Most everything is in place for this beauty. Now bring on the paints:ichile:

phantomx1
April 19th, 2011, 20:26
My pleasure guys. Looks like we are working up to a group hug here:icon_lol:

:ichile:

Uh hmmmm!

nigel richards
April 19th, 2011, 23:57
My pleasure guys. Looks like we are working up to a group hug here:icon_lol: :ichile:

Pleasure to work with you guys anytime! :wiggle:

I set up a little exhaust entry to the Duck CFG file (yeah, I don't have shockwave);

[LIGHTS]
//#1=beacon #2=strobe #3=nav #10=reheat
//#4=cockpit #5=landing #6=taxi
//#7=recog #8=wing #9=logo
light.0=3, 0.90, -19.80, 4.10, fx_navred
light.1=3, 0.90, 19.80, 4.10, fx_navgre
light.2=3, -21.0, 0.00, 1.20, fx_navwhi
light.3=3, -8.75, 1.75, -2.00, fx_navwhi
light.4=3, -8.75, -1.75, -2.00, fx_navwhi
light.5 = 4, -4.07, 0.00, 1.25, fx_vclighth,
light.6= 5, 0.92, -13.0, -1.9, fx_navwhi,

//------------ ExhaustFlames--------#2=strobe
//index,type, long, lat, vert, fx_filename
light.7=2, 2.00, -2.7, -2.7, fx_V12_IDLE_port
light.8=2, 2.00, 2.7, -2.7, fx_V12_IDLE_starb
light.9=2, 2.00, -2.7, -2.7, fx_V12_MAX_port
light.10=2, 2.00, 2.7, -2.7, fx_V12_MAX_starb
light.11=2, 2.00, -2.7, -2.7, fx_V12_Exhaust
light.12=2, 2.00, 2.7, -2.7, fx_V12_Exhaust

...these were adapted from Seafire15_17 recently released by A.F.Scrub (March 2011) and certainly add character to the duck. They're supposed to work with 'fighters!V12_EXHAUST' gauge, with the relevant entry placed in the panel CFG. I made a cock-up of it somewhere down the line and couldn't get the bally thing to work! So I just entered them in the 'lights' section as strobes. If anyone can get them 'gauge going' shoot the HU this way.

If you like a 'smokey' start-up, suck this and see;

[EFFECTS]

startup=fsdzigns_engstrt_049

nigel richards
April 20th, 2011, 02:42
I've just uploaded an upate for SOH Murphy's Duck Sounds. Throatier sounds, Smoother low end throttle transition.
Update is only 1.7 megas but makes a worthwhile difference in clarity.

SOH Murphy's Duck Sounds UPDATE by Nigel Richards http://64.19.142.12/www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/ldm-silk-icons/download.png (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=110&id=3903)

Matt Wynn
April 20th, 2011, 06:36
now all we need is a nice blue paint with RN/MS MOUNT KYLE painted on the side.... oh and the cowl removing :icon_lol:

great work Nigel... and everybody for the tweaks! Ouzos all round on my tab! :ernae:

Bomber_12th
April 20th, 2011, 07:00
Smoothie, that's already included in the base-pack, complete with the modified canopy as well. ;)

Screenshot/thumbnail by SWingman:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/Thumbnail.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/500px-MW_Gr_OA-12_4.jpg

pfflyers
April 20th, 2011, 07:46
Now if we could just get some "grunge and grime" on it to match the film version's look.

Matt Wynn
April 20th, 2011, 07:54
ahh not had a full look through yet... my apologies there, just needs to be a darker blue i feel and dirtying up... and on that note i'm running before i get dragged in to do it :icon_lol:
:running:

nigel richards
April 20th, 2011, 08:11
Now if we could just get some "grunge and grime" on it to match the film version's look.

Entirely pfflyers! Smoothie what do ya reckon pal? I know you're already on tight schedule and wouldn't dream of barging in, but this baby's got class. Just a suggestion that you might find time to add your 'magic touch'.

...the ouzo would definately be on my tab, as well as the retsina!:ernae:

Did you dowload the 'full' sounds and the update?

nigel richards
April 20th, 2011, 08:23
ahh not had a full look through yet... my apologies there, just needs to be a darker blue i feel and dirtying up... and on that note i'm running before i get dragged in to do it :icon_lol:
:running:

Now that sounds like voluntary work if ever I heard it! :bump:

Smoothie, get back here pdq!!!
You're not legging it now to fly Murphy's Duck, just cos someone showed you that nifty eye candy!

racartron
April 20th, 2011, 08:51
Nothing like a little blue hot stuff:ichile: flying by the cockpit. Just be sure and keep your arms inside.

The sound mod isn't available yet, but I'm keeping an eye out for it.

Edit: Here's the numbering sequencing for those "fortunate" ones with Shockwave :icon_lol:

light.13=2, 2.00, -2.7, -2.7, fx_V12_IDLE_port
light.14=2, 2.00, 2.7, -2.7, fx_V12_IDLE_starb
light.15=2, 2.00, -2.7, -2.7, fx_V12_MAX_port
light.16=2, 2.00, 2.7, -2.7, fx_V12_MAX_starb
light.17=2, 2.00, -2.7, -2.7, fx_V12_Exhaust
light.18=2, 2.00, 2.7, -2.7, fx_V12_Exhaust

nigel richards
April 20th, 2011, 09:05
The sound mod isn't available yet, but I'm keeping an eye out for it.

Racartron, try downloading from the Add-ons index/FS2004/sounds. I just took a shot at it and it works from where I am. :salute:

racartron
April 20th, 2011, 09:34
Racartron, try downloading from the Add-ons index/FS2004/sounds. I just took a shot at it and it works from where I am. :salute:

Interesting. The only Duck entry from you is the full set. I was under the impression you had put up a small mod to your original. Is this the correct install?

nigel richards
April 20th, 2011, 09:52
I'll ask Rami. In the meantime, when you enter the FS2004 Addons/FS2004 SOUNDS section make sure you turn-off any sorting filters used there.

The funny thing is that others have already downloaded (5 or 6 hits I think).

Rami
April 20th, 2011, 10:04
Nigel,

I have combined the two packages into one, and will upload it now under the original file name, make a notation, and delete the update.

Matt Wynn
April 20th, 2011, 10:18
ok ok.... i'll take a look at some weathering on the girl... :salute:

racartron
April 20th, 2011, 10:31
Nigel,

I have combined the two packages into one, and will upload it now under the original file name, make a notation, and delete the update.

Whew!!! And here I was preparing yet another "Senior Moment" excuse :cowboy:

nigel richards
April 20th, 2011, 10:33
Many thanks for being so quick on the mark, Rami (as always)!

:icon29: I'd buy you a beer, although at the speed you move, you probably already drank it yesterday...

So for all concerned, there you have it! The sounds are now all in one file, courtesy of Rami.

Matt Wynn
April 20th, 2011, 10:52
Darn it, got a couple more bits to do for IRIS.... *sighs* just when i thought i had a break... *incoherent mumbling*

Blackbird686
April 20th, 2011, 11:21
Hmmm... Seems to be a problem with puttin those new sounds in the 2 Duck folders and modifying the aircraft config in each. It appears that after doing that, my Grumman Ducks won't initialise :pop4: in the "Select an Aircraft" section. I have tried this twice including building up a seperate copy of the Duck outside of the main FS9 folder. Anyone else having this problem?

racartron
April 20th, 2011, 11:44
New sounds are even better, Nigel.

BTW, I've fiddled with the new exhaust effects by moving them a bit closer to the exhaust pipes. Looks a tad better in the head on view - more angry.:icon32:

light.13=2, 2.00, -2.0, -2.7, fx_V12_IDLE_port
light.14=2, 2.00, 2.0, -2.7, fx_V12_IDLE_starb
light.15=2, 2.00, -2.0, -2.7, fx_V12_MAX_port
light.16=2, 2.00, 2.0, -2.7, fx_V12_MAX_starb
light.17=2, 2.00, -2.0, -2.7, fx_V12_Exhaust
light.18=2, 2.00, 2.0, -2.7, fx_V12_Exhaust

Blackbird686: Regarding the initializing issue. I named the new sound folder sound.Nigel 2, dropped 'em into the folders and just changed the aircraft.cfg to sound=Nigel 2. No problems here.

nigel richards
April 20th, 2011, 11:47
ok ok.... i'll take a look at some weathering on the girl... :salute:

:wiggle:...at your own pace, Matt.

And remember, this is a hobby! (icon for rubbing hands together in eager anticipation for what we are about to receive...)

Racartron, the exhausts are now spot on, thanks!

Blackbird686, the only thing changed in the CFG files should be for the ENGINE and PROP entries.
These have no effect whatsoever with the aircraft showing up in the aircraft list. I would suggest redoing the procedure very careflly once again. If you didn't make back-ups for the originals, I'll post the entire CFG entries for both aircraft up here. Stick with it buddy!

Blackbird686
April 20th, 2011, 14:22
I'm going to have another go here in a bit. I'm having too much fun with the Duck to not try the new sounds...

Thanks a bunch, Nigel -- :guinness:

hawkeye52
April 22nd, 2011, 08:17
I may have missed it on this thread, but.....

....has anyone posted a better prop blur for Swingman's Duck?

- h52

OBIO
April 22nd, 2011, 09:42
Hawkeye

The prop blur is modeled into the MDL file and can not be changed via a texture sheet like normal prop blurs. I have a set of tweaked MDL files, with the prop blur material made more translucent. I will have to get them uploaded this weekend. Also have a second set of tweaked MDL files with the specular shine reduced to a nice military gloss instead of the high shine of the stock MDL files.

OBIO

hawkeye52
April 22nd, 2011, 10:00
Thanks, OBIO. I'll be looking for those tweaked MDLs. :salute:

BTW, are they different from your Revised Duck files.zip uploaded earlier this month?

- h52

OBIO
April 22nd, 2011, 21:30
h52

I can't remember what was in the Revised Duck files.zip. I have been round and round with this plane so many times I can't be sure what I have and have not changed, tested or uploaded.

OBIO

Blackbird686
April 23rd, 2011, 04:47
I think your first update addressed the contact points for the "6" model to remedy the tipping over in the water issue, the second, made the Duck a little more stable in flight. You also re-did the engine textures which really made a big difference in the way the little radial looked on the model. All were very nice enhancements which made a great model even better. Looking forward to the next 'revision'. :applause::applause::applause:

hawkeye52
April 23rd, 2011, 07:47
Yes, OBIO, Blackbird is correct re. the contents of your previous mods.

- h52

fsafranek
April 23rd, 2011, 09:06
Spotted the Duck uploaded at simviation (http://www.simviation.com) this morning. Supposedly uploaded by Swingman.

OBIO
April 23rd, 2011, 09:16
I just checked my e-mail and there was a reply for SWingman:

Thank You, Tim

Sorry if my english is not good.

I saw that "Duck" from ICARUS - one of the (crappiest) payware i ever seen! ))))) How can they ask money for that?!!

Use these files as You wish. I have no time for redone or repaint J2F(who knows - maybe You will do it better? ), because my next model - YAK-18 is close to finish.
Tim, if You want the GMax model, i'll send that to you - for example to add bombs or apply an FSX materials. Shadows on biplane surfaces should be realistic in FSX.

Best regards

Alexander

I edited out the word that SWingman actually used to describe the Icarus Duck and replaced it with Crappiest....the original word had the same meaning but would not pass the language filter.

I sent him a reply asking for a copy of the Duck source code....so who out there knows Gmax well enough to tweak the Duck's texture mapping, add in a normal prop blur and possibly do up an FSX native version?

OBIO

hawkeye52
April 23rd, 2011, 09:22
[QUOTE=OBIO;576947]I just checked my e-mail and there was a reply for SWingman:

I saw that "Duck" from ICARUS - one of the (crappiest) payware i ever seen! )))))

I edited out the word that SWingman actually used...

LOL!!!
- h52

OBIO
April 23rd, 2011, 09:24
For a guy whose English isn't great...he used the exact right word to describe the Icarus Duck. LOL!

AndyG43
April 23rd, 2011, 11:01
His English seemed fine to me, summed up what I thought quite well. :icon_lol:

Now that is a gentleman; not discouraged by what has gone on, is looking at his next project & is generous enough to offer the fruits of his hard work for others to use - I don't have to make the comparison do I?

OBIO
April 23rd, 2011, 11:09
A volunteer with MAD Gmax skills has stepped forward and offered to take a look at the Duck source code when I get it. Prop Blur addition, FSX native development, and hopefully a demirroring of the wings and tail area. Really, the only things that mar this Duck are the prop blur and the mirrored texturing of the wings and tail....fix those and we have a Duck that will last for many years.

OBIO

nigel richards
April 23rd, 2011, 11:47
A volunteer with MAD Gmax skills has stepped forward and offered to take a look at the Duck source code when I get it. Prop Blur addition, FSX native development, and hopefully a demirroring of the wings and tail area. Really, the only things that mar this Duck are the prop blur and the mirrored texturing of the wings and tail....fix those and we have a Duck that will last for many years.

OBIO

...the propblurr will put the cherry on the cake!

Talking of cakes, how about some engine detail and propblurr for that birthday present Smoothie and I baked for you??? Smoothie says the icing's nearly done! (icon:gathered round the table at OBIO's birthday party expectantly wating for OBIO to cut the cake and make some more Alphasim wishes:icon)

fxsttcb
April 23rd, 2011, 13:27
I just checked my e-mail and there was a reply for SWingman:

Thank You, Tim

Sorry if my english is not good.

I saw that "Duck" from ICARUS - one of the (crappiest) payware i ever seen! ))))) How can they ask money for that?!!

Use these files as You wish. I have no time for redone or repaint J2F(who knows - maybe You will do it better? ), because my next model - YAK-18 is close to finish.
Tim, if You want the GMax model, i'll send that to you - for example to add bombs or apply an FSX materials. Shadows on biplane surfaces should be realistic in FSX.

Best regards

Alexander

I edited out the word that SWingman actually used to describe the Icarus Duck and replaced it with Crappiest....the original word had the same meaning but would not pass the language filter.

I sent him a reply asking for a copy of the Duck source code....so who out there knows Gmax well enough to tweak the Duck's texture mapping, add in a normal prop blur and possibly do up an FSX native version?

OBIOHa-Ha, too funny!
Here is the reply from him that I just recieved. My e-mail to him was simply a Thank You for the fine rendition of the Duck.

Thank you,sir!

Don, J2F is uploaded on simviation.com (http://simviation.com/) one hour before (FSX/Props section) for people,who can't download it from avsim.su (http://avsim.su/)

I think it will available to download tomorrow.
Best regards
Alexander
I am thrilled that he shed the whole fiasco, like water off a Duck's back.(he-he)
That is gonna make a lot of people very happy...Don

rpjkw
April 23rd, 2011, 14:49
I've been following this thread with various emotions, but I have just one question: From where the heck can I download SWingman's Duck?

Thanks,

Bob

Willy
April 23rd, 2011, 16:16
It will be available here shortly.

OBIO
April 23rd, 2011, 17:55
SWingman gave me permission to upload his original package to our library....and it has been uploaded. FS2004 Aircraft section.

Now I will package up the tweaked MDL files and upload them in a bit.

OBIO

hawkeye52
April 23rd, 2011, 18:03
Indeed, a THANK YOU to Mr. Swingman is in order, either individually or collectively from the troops on this thread via OBIO or fxsttcb, if Swingman wants to keep his e-address private. :salute::salute::salute:

- H52

OBIO
April 23rd, 2011, 18:33
A package of tweaked MDL files was just uploaded to the FS2004 Other section of the SOH library.....yeah...I'm an FSNiner at heart and tend to upload to that library. I did what I could to improve the prop blur by making the material more translucent. I also included a set of de-shined Model files. PLEASE read the READ ME file to know what you have to do to use the tweaked Model folders. It's easy...just read the directions.

OBIO

stuartcox
April 24th, 2011, 00:37
Cheers OBIO!
These modified mdl.'s are spot on!
This bird is getting more beautiful every day! Please pass my regards on to SWingman for releasing the codes and making this possible.

Wild Bill Kelso
April 24th, 2011, 01:30
I'm glad this sometimes rather unsavoury story has come to this kind of end! :applause:
Thanks to all involved at the SOH side for cleaning up this mess and especially to Tim for not losing his faith... :salute:

A huge спасибо! goes to Alexander, a true gentleman of this community!

Did I miss someone?
Sure:
Boos to those who deserve it... :angryfir:

Cheers,
Markus.

Blackbird686
April 24th, 2011, 04:03
Nice work, Tim. Just wat the Duck needed. :ernae:

Yossarian1943
April 26th, 2011, 12:37
Because i cannot find a radio , is it possible to use the adf?

OBIO
April 29th, 2011, 10:43
I have in my possession new FS9 model files for two of the J2F6 Duck variants....the cowled ones with and without the football pod thingie. These two models have the wings, stabs, and tail/rudder demirrored and real prop blur texturing. These changes were done by Full using the source code supplied by SWingman. I will be contacting SWingman today to see if he will share the source code for the de-cowled (Murphy's War) J2F6 and the J2F4 (he said that he is currently working on the J2F4 with a new cockpit, new texture coordinates and working to produce a J2F1/J2F2 variant).

I will double check the J2F6 package with the new model files, ensure that all the texture files are correct, export new UV maps for the two new models, and some panel tweaks I have done....pop up windows for radio, GPS, engine control, and fuel management....and get this all packaged up and uploaded in the next day or two.

OBIO

OBIO
April 29th, 2011, 11:44
I am going to take some time putting the revised J2F6 package together and get all the user supplied tweaks in place, so that one complete package is ready for download. The package will have the Shockwave Lights set up as part of the aircraft.cfg info (along with a stock lights setup for those who do not have the 3D lights package) and the effects tweaks supplied by racartron, the Wide screen and Full screen 2D panels supplied by Wild Bill Kelso, the reworked MDL files done by Full, along with the config tweaks, enhanced engine texture, and panel tweaks that I have done (pop up windows and such). Still have some more tweaks to track down...the ones that put the invisible gauges in the VC to "make the none working modeled gauges work"....have to dig through the other threads on the Duck to find those.

OBIO

norab
April 29th, 2011, 14:16
Thanks for all your and everyone else's great efforts Tim. Looking forward to the "New" duck

BTW "football pod thingie " is RDF housing

WarHorse47
April 29th, 2011, 15:04
I am going to take some time putting the revised J2F6 package together and get all the user supplied tweaks in place, so that one complete package is ready for download. The package will have the Shockwave Lights set up as part of the aircraft.cfg info (along with a stock lights setup for those who do not have the 3D lights package) and the effects tweaks supplied by racartron, the Wide screen and Full screen 2D panels supplied by Wild Bill Kelso, the reworked MDL files done by Full, along with the config tweaks, enhanced engine texture, and panel tweaks that I have done (pop up windows and such). Still have some more tweaks to track down...the ones that put the invisible gauges in the VC to "make the none working modeled gauges work"....have to dig through the other threads on the Duck to find those.

OBIO:applause::applause::applause::applause::appla use::applause:

Thanks, OBIO.

fxsttcb
April 30th, 2011, 01:21
I am going to take some time putting the revised J2F6 package together ...the ones that put the invisible gauges in the VC to "make the none working modeled gauges work"....have to dig through the other threads on the Duck to find those.

OBIOOBIO, I uploaded a 2D panel at flightsim that has the transparent gauges for the VC and a 2D mag switch that looks like SWingmans and a few other panel items.
You are more than welcome to incorporate anything in that file into your new release...Don

Wild Bill Kelso
April 30th, 2011, 01:37
...and a 2D mag switch that looks like SWingmans ...

Good job, mate! :applause:
Mine was the only one I've found in my spare parts box...

Very much looking forward to your "all-in-one upgrade" supplement, OBIO! :jump:

Cheers,
Markus.

Mick
April 30th, 2011, 04:12
...SWingman said that he is currently working to produce a J2F1/J2F2 variant...

Hmmm... Do you suppose he might be interested in making a JF, the original Duck with the short float fairing and smaller rear fuselage compartment?? The Navy's JF-1 and the Coast Guard's JF-2 looked quite different around the nose because of their very different cowlings around their different powerplants. The JFs would complete the set and give us all the Duck variants.

Not very long ago, before circumstances robbed me of all my hobby time and forced me out of this hobby, I wouldve been quick to limber up the spray can and get at these planes! (If anyone else wants to do that, I'd be glad to send them some good reference material.)

TARPSBird
May 1st, 2011, 02:18
After the Duck, I think anything that SWingman decides to build will be well received. Besides the JF models that Mick mentioned, I'd still like to see a land plane version of the N3N "Yellow Peril" trainer. Was hoping the guy who did the float version would follow up with a wheeled bird but I don't think he ever did.

Mick
May 1st, 2011, 04:39
...Was hoping the guy who did the [N3N] float version would follow up with a wheeled bird but I don't think he ever did.

That was A.F. Scrub. He said he was going to release the wheeled version, and when I repainted it I included a Coast Guard livery that really only belongs on the wheeled version. When I re-released the plane with my paints (and with his approval for doing it that way) I carelessly included a copy of my own panel.cfg file, which I'd modified by removing some items that no N3N ever had, like the autopilot, GPS, and a couple other anachronistic, modern items. A.F. seemed highly miffed about my messing up his panel, and despite my apologies, he never finished the wheeled version. Or if he finished it, he never released it. (sigh...)

I was looking forward to putting that Coast Guard paint as AI at Floyd Bennett Field, where the real one was based, in my Golden Wings installation. Now it doesn't matter to me because I have no time for FS anymore anyway, but I'm sorry for you and anyone else who was waiting for the wheeled version. :frown:

I don't know if that was really the reason he never released it, but if not, then it was a remarkable coincidence. Also, I haven't heard from him since, and that might not be coincidence either... :frown:

Yossarian1943
May 6th, 2011, 03:51
I will double check the J2F6 package with the new model files, ensure that all the texture files are correct, export new UV maps for the two new models, and some panel tweaks I have done....pop up windows for radio, GPS, engine control, and fuel management....and get this all packaged up and uploaded in the next day or two.

OBIO

Something new about this poject, OBIO? :mixedsmi:

fsafranek
May 6th, 2011, 11:52
I have in my possession new FS9 model files for two of the J2F6 Duck variants....the cowled ones with and without the football pod thingie. These two models have the wings, stabs, and tail/rudder demirrored and real prop blur texturing. These changes were done by Full using the source code supplied by SWingman. I will be contacting SWingman today to see if he will share the source code for the de-cowled (Murphy's War) J2F6 and the J2F4 (he said that he is currently working on the J2F4 with a new cockpit, new texture coordinates and working to produce a J2F1/J2F2 variant).

OBIO
Perhaps if SWingman shares the source files for the de-cowled J2F6 version the rear passenger can be removed and the pilot's head gear changed to match Murphy? :icon_lol:

OBIO
May 6th, 2011, 14:54
I have a new set of Model files for the J2F6 variants. The wings are now totally demirrored...where the original textures had 1 file for the wings, there are now 4 files for the wings. I know Full mentioned something about something that was missing from the original Murphy's War version...but I can't recall what it was of if it has been added. I just installed the new Models and textures today and haven't had a chance to fire them up....now that it has stopped raining, I can get outside and take care of yard work.

Will get them checked out, new UV maps exported and the new models and textures for the J2F6 uploaded this weekend.

Full now has the source codes for the J2F4 and an unfinished J2F5 Photo Recon Duck.

OBIO

Yossarian1943
May 6th, 2011, 15:03
Thanks for information, OBIO.

full
May 8th, 2011, 09:31
Here's some pics of the updated models I have the source for, note the the J2F-5 textures are not finished and I wasn't too sure whether it had the smaller cowling that the J2F-4 has ?

These haven't got any of OBIO's texture tweaks applied either.

OBIO
May 8th, 2011, 17:44
I will be getting the updated/reworked MDL files uploaded as soon as I can, along with the new texture arrangements Full has worked up to de-mirror the wings. I want to tweak the mdl files slightly to a lower specular shine level to give a nice gloss instead of the high shine. Have a doctor's appointment tomorrow at 2, which means I will sit in the waiting room for 2 hours before going back to the exam room, then another hour sitting in the exam room waiting for the doc to actually come in. But once I get back from this incredibly long wait just to see the doc to get two prescriptions written, I have nothing else on the agenda for tomorrow....with luck I can get the MDL files tweaked and get everything ready to upload. I need to unpack the J2F5 and take a look at it, apply the config file tweaks to it that I applied to the J2F4/J2F6.

OBIO

Motormouse
May 11th, 2011, 02:02
Keeps falling over in the water to the right; did anyone post up a fix for this?

ttfn

Pete

OBIO
May 11th, 2011, 06:53
Yep, I did. A package for FS9 with tweaked MDL files, tweaked config files.

OBIO

WarHorse47
May 13th, 2011, 14:07
Hi All.

I haven't flown the Duck for awhile. Reason being I anticipated some more tweaks and updates, and possibly some more textures by now. I have all of OBIO's tweaks to date and recommended sounds, but .... did I misinterpret some of the posts? Is there more coming, or are we done?? :salute:

--WH

OBIO
May 13th, 2011, 16:19
Warhorse

There is more coming....a LOT more. Totally new MDL files with revised texture mapping on the wings and tail. And a new variant....J2F5 photo recon Duck.

Unfortunately real life has me stepping and fetching right now and I haven't had the time to get everything organized and uploaded. Been outside working from early morning until shortly before dark....and once I am in from all the outside work that never seems to stop, I am too tuckered out to do much but sit and sleep. And when I get a break from the outside work, I have a couple apartment painting jobs to jump into and a few computer repair jobs on the horizon.

Will get the new stuff uploaded as soon as I can. And will get some work done on a few ongoing projects when I can....but right now my system is powered up for maybe an hour a day. I finally get a super duper system so I can really enjoy simming, but I don't have the time to use it.

OBIO

Moses03
May 13th, 2011, 18:06
The reworked Duck package is looking good. Thanks to Obio and Full.:applause:

Moses

WarHorse47
May 13th, 2011, 19:30
Thanks for the update, OBIO. :ernae:

--WH

gribouil
May 13th, 2011, 21:54
Take your time OBIO, you've already done a lot of work for the community...

Moses03
August 19th, 2011, 19:28
Was wondering what became of the Duck update?

OBIO
August 19th, 2011, 19:42
There is a down side to the massive amounts of planes available to us FS9 fliers....it's that one tends to grab so many planes that other planes get lost in the mix. And that is what happened to the Ducks. Today, I found them sitting in a pile of dust on my HD and yanked them out to the light of day. I have the J2F5 and J2F6 with totally demirrored textures and a real prop blur. Need to do some checking to see that I have all the FDE and effects tweaks in place and that the packages are fully ready for uploading. Once they are, they will be hitting the library. Give me a few days to a week to make sure they are 100% ready.

The J2F4.....that one is still to come.

OBIO

AndyG43
August 20th, 2011, 00:28
:applause::jump::jump:

napamule
August 20th, 2011, 03:01
Well I just downloaded and installed the J2F4 and J2F6 in both FS9 and FSX and it is almost perfect. Not much you can do to improve anything (other than your flying skills (hehe)). Honest. You do need to use pitch trim (it had THAT, you know) for setting best cruise attitude, and for help when on final, but that's it.

The tip over in FSX was due to the type 2 (scrapes) having a -7 vertical position where they 'stuck out' from underneath the plane, most noticeable when on water, but probably also produced unwanted drag when on ground. Comment them out to 'fix'.

SWingman did a faboulous modeling job and 99.9% perfect FDE's. Sorry, but that's all I can say. I am very impressed and enjoyed flying it around (made videos) in both FS9 and FSX. It is 'finished' as far as I am concerned. You tweak all you want. Me I am just going to fly it. Thaks for a very nice model My SWingman. Good job.
Chuck B
Napamule

racartron
August 20th, 2011, 04:50
"Well I just downloaded and installed the J2F4 and J2F6 in both FS9 and FSX and it is almost perfect. Not much you can do to improve anything (other than your flying skills (hehe)). Honest. You do need to use pitch trim (it had THAT, you know) for setting best cruise attitude, and for help when on final, but that's it."

Make sure you have installed Nigel's "curious" sound set. It brings Murphy's War back in a riotous and unforgettable fashion.

Moses03
August 20th, 2011, 08:13
Thanks for the update Obio.

OBIO
August 20th, 2011, 22:36
Just spent some time working on the Ducks...trying to get a feel for the new mapping of the wings, stabilizers and tail. There are now 4 wing textures....and I had to figure out which sheet did what parts of the wings...with 8 wing surfaces to work with, it's a good thing to know what sheet goes to what parts.

Have a lot of work to do to get a basic painters pack put together....but that will come as it comes....right now my main focus is on getting the Ducks tested, tweaked to as close to perfection as I can tweak them, and get the newly revised Ducks (J2F5 Photo Recon and J2F6 variants) uploaded to the library so that they can be enjoyed as the author intended them to be enjoyed.

OBIO

napamule
August 22nd, 2011, 01:16
I just used the F4U sound and it seems to fit. Model 'adds' some nuance (whine, clicks, etc) that seem appropriate and proper for type engine. No fps hit either, it don't seem like. I like it good enough. (Use my head-hehe).
Chuck B
Napamule

OBIO
August 22nd, 2011, 11:37
The J2F5 variant is just about ready to upload. Need to do a couple small things then it will be ready.

The J2F6 variants just spent some time getting their MDL files tweaked (reduced specular shine and reflective texturing enabled). Need to do some testing and it will be ready as well.

Hopefully both packages will be ready to roll by the weekend.

OBIO