PDA

View Full Version : Knowing my location

OleBoy
April 8th, 2011, 14:50
I've been flying around over all the lakes and airports throughout the region of the PNW and find I'm asking myself, what lake is that? Or, what airstrip is that? If I remember correct there was a gauge (I think) that could be added, that told what airstrip was below. Or something to that affect..lol. Anywho, it got me wondering if there was a such a gauge that told what lakes were below? A bush pilots tool!

Is there something like this out there?

FAC257
April 8th, 2011, 15:58
This is probable what your looking for.
http://www.microsoft.com/Products/Games/FSInsider/freeflight/Pages/AirportLabels-AnUndocumentedFeature.aspx

I tried it when FSX first came out. It's actually pretty cool.

About the only down side that I found was that when flying around in a place like Fla where there's an airport every couple of miles, the ground below can get covered up by red lettering. :)

FAC

OleBoy
April 8th, 2011, 17:41
Great info, FAC. I can imagine how cluttered things could get like you mention. I may give this a try. Although I was honestly hoping for something that worked for lakes.

Thanks Again!!

falcon409
April 8th, 2011, 18:12
I use FSDiscover (payware), which has various keystrokes that bring up Geographical locations (lakes, Mountains, Valleys, Glaciers, Rivers and so on), Airports or Point of Interest.:salute:

OleBoy
April 8th, 2011, 18:33
Payware huh? Well, right now I have to save my pennies. I'm on a mission. Hopefully someone will make something that's freeware. Otherwise, I may look into FSDiscover at a later time.

Thanks for the info Falcon

CodyValkyrie
April 8th, 2011, 18:52
I often find out any information I need via http://skyvector.com/. It's just a VFR sectional, but they provide accurate information for names such as lakes and often other various geographical points of interest.

I typically run this on a second monitor while flying.

OleBoy
April 8th, 2011, 19:29
Still not quite what I'm hoping for. But that's a handy site! Thank you Cody

Timbohobo
April 8th, 2011, 19:37
http://www.tasoftware.co.uk/planG.htm

Its free, and the best

Kiwikat
April 8th, 2011, 20:24
The awesome Reality XP GNS430 and GNS530 both display major road, river, and lake names on their map pages. :wiggle:

CavOk
April 8th, 2011, 23:23
G Plan looks interesting but I cant get it to install, error 1001. Seems to be a common problem but I can't find a fix either in the wider net or the G Plan forum. Anyone got a suggestion?

Dave Torkington
April 8th, 2011, 23:29
I recommend you take a look at FSX Google Earth Tracker (http://fsxget.codeplex.com/), a very nice simconnect prog. that links your FSX position to Google Earth... it can also display AI traffic.

I guess running Google Earth next to FSX could be a resource hogger for some, but my system copes just fine. Running Win 7 64bit.

Dave.

ananda
April 8th, 2011, 23:45
Try FSWidgets GMap (Browser Edition), it's free

http://fswidgets.com/shop/download_files.php

stiz
April 9th, 2011, 02:02
anyone found one that works in full screen and inside FSX? rather than an external app that you have to either have on a 2nd monitor or that makes you run in window'd mode just to see the darn thing? :)

Kowalski65
April 9th, 2011, 05:14
www.blueskyscenery.com had a handy moving map but I dont know if it will do as their website is still AWOL..anyone know why that is..I need my fix of photoreal California

OleBoy
April 9th, 2011, 05:29
anyone found one that works in full screen and inside FSX? rather than an external app that you have to either have on a 2nd monitor or that makes you run in window'd mode just to see the darn thing? :)

That was going to be my question. I run full screen with just one monitor. Something like a GPS would suit my taste

Bjoern
April 9th, 2011, 08:37
A laptop with Bing Maps and Wikipedia running and then just guess and read away.

mal998
April 9th, 2011, 10:11
Hi All,
I'm interested in using that Microsoft mod to the Controls XML file.

Can someone post that section of the XML file with the fix installed.

I tried modifying that section of the XML per MS instructions but I can't seem to get it to work.

Thanks in advance,
mal

FAC257
April 9th, 2011, 10:27
I just stuck it at the top of the Controls file as the first entry.

It will reshuffle itself down lower in the stack after you run it the first time.

FAC

mal998
April 9th, 2011, 17:36
Oh great! Thanks for that. I'll try again.

Roger
April 10th, 2011, 05:40
When saving the file after edit, save it as "All files" not as txt or it will save it as a notepad item, not an Xml file.

mal998
April 10th, 2011, 05:43
OK Thanks Roger I did not realize that.

Roger
April 10th, 2011, 05:48
OK Thanks Roger I did not realize that.

Neither did I until some kind person (I can't remember who?) told me the same thing some time ago:engel016:

mal998
April 10th, 2011, 06:14
OK I have a small problem. yesterday when i saved the file, i saved it as a text file
whoops...

now i can't get it to save as an xml file.

help!

OleBoy
April 10th, 2011, 06:20
Copy it all again, paste to notepad and save accordingly

mal998
April 10th, 2011, 07:05
OK, now I realize that I needed to change the default/open program back to IE in order for the file to return to XML status, which it now is.

Thanks fellas!

Now let's see if it actually works.

UPDATE:
It works!