PDA

View Full Version : Ground Texture Fuzzies

Blackbird686
April 8th, 2011, 05:38
Regarding ground textures/mesh... sitting on the ground in a plane, looking out the cockpit glass, everything looks great, as it does in the spot view, looking at the model sitting on the ramp. Seems that upon take-off, the more altitude between me and the ground, the more the ground textures become fuzzy and there are alot of jagged edges. This only happens in the spot view while in the air. If I stay sitting in the seat, either in the 2D or the VC, (where I should be, really) the ground is crystal clear and the coastlines and roads are smooth.

Ocasionally, I enjoy the spot view, especially when I am flying a really sweet looking plane. I think I would enjoy it more if the ground textures didn't look like a conglomeration of cat fur, all fuzzy and out-of-focus looking. Just wondered if there was a fix or a way to tweak the ground textures to sharpen them up just a bit.

BB686:USA-flag:

Z-claudius24
April 8th, 2011, 08:33
Hi,

Well it's sooo many to read about this matter :)
The sharp terrain in distance ... the holy Graal :jump:
This is one between many posts everywhere to read ........
http://forum.avsim.net/topic/329728-possible-new-tweak-for-fs9

Blackbird686
April 8th, 2011, 14:43
Hi Claudius24 --

I have worked with that tweak and have tried a few entries. What I have really noticed is that the higher the number, the sharper the ground textures around airports are. Especially at lower altitudes. I still have the problem of fuzzy ground texturing at higher altitudes and the mips are slow to generate a sharper image. It's prolly a memory issue. I'm going to do a memory upgrade to this machine and take it from 4 GB to 8. I'll keep you posted.

Cheers -- BB686:USA-flag:

Z-claudius24
April 8th, 2011, 15:21
Hi,

4 GB to 8Whow !! :)
4GB is more than enough ...
I run with (only :) ) 2GB and happy ....
Don't wait for any miracles with 8 GB :)

Blackbird686
April 9th, 2011, 06:55
Hi,

Whow !! :)
4GB is more than enough ...
I run with (only :) ) 2GB and happy ....
Don't wait for any miracles with 8 GB :)

It's Win 7 with an ATi 7200 viddie. It's PCI but is supposed to have 1GB of dedicated memory. The processor is an AMD Quad-4 3.0GhZ. I'm not real sure of the BIOS version, or just how it partitions each one of those "quads" or how it runs specific tasks. A bit too deep for me.

pfflyers
April 13th, 2011, 17:10
If anyone comes up with THE answer for getting the high-rez ground textures to load at greater distances I, and probably legions of other FS users, will be ecstatic. I hate when the textures 'pop' into focus.

I've got a pretty fair rig and I've tried all those tweaks that have been posted around. Most haven't done diddly for me.

My other pet peeve is when the water textures show square block outlines. My only fix is to reduce the visibility distance.

Desert Rat
April 14th, 2011, 13:32
Ha, were all in this together then. With these wonder cures, was begining to think it was just me, lol.

Jamie.

PS. Q6600 quad @ 2.3Ghz, 4GB RAM, 1GB ATI 4350 Video, blah, blah.

OBIO
April 15th, 2011, 22:42
I still have ground blurries...even with my I7-950 @3.06g, 6gig of DDR3 1066 Ram, a 768meg Nvidia Geforce GTX 460 card, a super MOBO (can't recall the name of it off the top of my head....optimized for the I7 and DDR3 1066 ram). Maybe I should plug in 2 more of the GTX 460s and see if that helps. Maybe up my RAM to the max of 24gig and see if that helps.

But I am pretty sure I could do that...and still have ground fuzzies. Just a fact of life for us FSNiners. It's part of the FS9 code....and only a code change will correct it.

OBIO

pfflyers
April 16th, 2011, 09:26
What bothers me more than the fuzzies themselves is the 'pop' you get when the higher level mips load.

I really notice it most when mountain flying. As I fly through the mountains they change shape and build themselves as I approach. Then when I get right up next to a peak the highest level texture snaps into focus.

When I tried some of the popular cfg tweaks it seemed like some were intended to make the high level textures to load at a greater distance from you. I must admit I can't really see a difference.

I understand why it has to be this way, in R/L the distant terrain is fuzzed by distance and atmosphere. I just wish there was a way for the transition from fuzz to not fuzz to be smoother.

Quax d. Bruchpilot
April 26th, 2011, 09:24
I remember that long time ago somebody has postet following settings / entrys here for the FS9 cfg. Must be 2 years ago I think. It was in a thread about "blurrys". As far as I know here and there it has worked.

[TERRAIN]
TERRAIN_ERROR_FACTOR=62.000000
TERRAIN_MIN_DEM_AREA=10.000000
TERRAIN_MAX_DEM_AREA=100.000000
TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=19
TERRAIN_TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=7
TERRAIN_AUTOGEN_DENSITY=2
TERRAIN_USE_GRADIENT_MAP=1
TERRAIN_EXTENDED_TEXTURES=1
TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=9.500000
TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=4.500000
TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=1307992

or another one version

[TERRAIN]
TERRAIN_ERROR_FACTOR=100.000000
TERRAIN_MIN_DEM_AREA=10.000000
TERRAIN_MAX_DEM_AREA=100.000000
TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=19
TERRAIN_TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=8
TERRAIN_AUTOGEN_DENSITY=4
TERRAIN_USE_GRADIENT_MAP=1
TERRAIN_EXTENDED_TEXTURES=1
TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=9.000000
TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=9.000000
TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=1242456

Use at your own risk :icon_lol: And don't forget to make a backup of your FS9.cfg !!!!!!!!!!

Greets
Andi

rich12545
April 28th, 2011, 09:21
What bothers me more than the fuzzies themselves is the 'pop' you get when the higher level mips load.

I really notice it most when mountain flying. As I fly through the mountains they change shape and build themselves as I approach. Then when I get right up next to a peak the highest level texture snaps into focus.

When I tried some of the popular cfg tweaks it seemed like some were intended to make the high level textures to load at a greater distance from you. I must admit I can't really see a difference.

I understand why it has to be this way, in R/L the distant terrain is fuzzed by distance and atmosphere. I just wish there was a way for the transition from fuzz to not fuzz to be smoother.

The reason for this is that the higher the level mesh doesn't go out very far. Each level only goes out a certain distance so the popping is a function of fs9. Otherwise fps would be at 2. That's why it's important to have all the mesh levels for buffers. Otherwise you will go from LOD 21 (or whatever) to default. The only place I know to get all those levels is FSGenesis.

pfflyers
April 28th, 2011, 11:10
I understand why the textures are mipped, I just wish the transition from one level to the next was more gradual. But I don't think there is a fix for that.

Since most of my mesh is default I don't know how to buffer it or anything like that. What I know about scenery could be written on the head of a pin, twice.

I've had those cfg tweaks installed for a while now so I suppose my scenery looks as good as it's going to.

stewpot
June 13th, 2011, 10:49
Hi Folks,

There is a file in the Avsim library named ' softhr07.zip'. This does a pretty good job of making the transition between sky and ground a liitle more realistic. It won't get rid of the ' mountain textures popping up at the last minute' problem [ not on my old rig anyway], but tends to mask it somewhat. Worth a try.

Regards.......Stuart

Blackbird686
June 15th, 2011, 14:03
Actually, that little fix does work quite well... (softhr07.zip). Like you say, not 100% but it does help.

My rig (slower of the two): AMD Athlon 64 Quad Core at 3.5GHz, ATi 7200 1GB Video, 8GB ... etc.