PDA

View Full Version : 'NVidia Question'

Panther_99FS
December 4th, 2008, 17:46
Since I'm an NVidia noob, should I have my card doing AA or FSX :ques:

Thoe6969
December 4th, 2008, 17:48
Since I'm an NVidia noob, should I have my card doing AA or FSX :ques: Your card only.

harleyman
December 4th, 2008, 17:49
I was using both........

But it never worked right anyway .......

BananaBob
December 4th, 2008, 17:49
Since I'm an NVidia noob, should I have my card doing AA or FSX :ques:

I leave all my settings at default except to force vertical sync and just use FSX AA and AF, but this varies I think. :ernae:

BananaBob
December 4th, 2008, 17:50
LOL, 3 different answers! :costumes:

Thoe6969
December 4th, 2008, 17:53
I was using both........I tried both didn't do anything more.some people have to use Nhancer to force AA ,but I just set mine in the game profiles in the Nvidia control panel.

Panther_99FS
December 4th, 2008, 17:59
LOL, 3 different answers! :costumes:

:d:d:d

Thoe6969
December 4th, 2008, 18:01
LOL, 3 different answers! :costumes: Makes life so interesting don't it. Kind of a try and see thing,everybodys system is just a little different.

Bjoern
December 4th, 2008, 18:01
Woohoo, I'm the decisive element here! :jump:

Card.

Butcherbird17
December 4th, 2008, 18:18
I don't use the nvidia control panel, the only thing I use it for is DV (digital vibrance) and to set it to single display performance mode. I use nHancer for everything else. I have AA checked in fsx, if i dont i get the jaggies:isadizzy:

Joe

harleyman
December 4th, 2008, 18:20
This brings up an intresting point...

On my very old HP I never used anything but default..It was not great,but using AA or AF did nothing so I left it all alone except in the game settings....

Only when I had two expensive high end rigs built did I really need to start fussing with all that stuff....

You would think it would be the opposite of that.....Who knows.....

One of these days, a PC game will just install and work good for everyone...But at that point we'll all be flying to and fro in our personal hover craft / spacebots and I'll long be gone....:banghead:

I still say something is horribly wrong when an average off the shelfer can run FSX good and a custom built fast high end one built just for FSX falls on its face......

And two identical builds vary so much .....It all just :bs:

EMatheson
December 4th, 2008, 18:26
I just had to wrestle with my settings and FS9 after a driver update...
I have FS9 doing all the filtering and mip-map junk and nHancer doing the AA alongside the nVidia control panel - I found that if I combined the nVidia Global settings with the nHancer FS9 settings, I could get better quality than if I used either alone - screwy but you might try it!

Panther_99FS
December 4th, 2008, 18:48
Well...
After a few tests, I get aproximately 10fps better with FSX running AA and AA turned off on the video card.

The downside is that it doesn't look as good as vid card controlled AA

Next phase is to try "enhance the application settings"

Panther_99FS
December 4th, 2008, 18:54
"enhance the application settings"

Da' happy medium has been found

Tks folks...:ernae:

harleyman
December 4th, 2008, 19:10
And whats so great about that is give it time and that too may change...Its an angry beast......:isadizzy:

Panther_99FS
December 4th, 2008, 19:16
:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Panther_99FS
December 4th, 2008, 19:17
One last NVidia question....

Why is it that ANY DRIVER new than the 169.21 series causes my system to POWER OFF as soon as I try a flight in FSX....:censored::banghead:

harleyman
December 4th, 2008, 19:32
I think right after that driver set Nvidia came out with the drivers having ,err,whats it called included, ? Dang,now I forgot...It was something arciticture....It will come to me... Maybe:banghead:

PhysX is it.....

Mr.Mugel
December 5th, 2008, 01:00
I am running 180.70 here, and used a lot of beta and leaked drivers, and they all worked for me, sometimes if I use something that is intense on resources screen goes black and FS restarts, but I guess thatīs no graphics card issue...

If I turn off AA in FSX itself, only leave it running on the card, I donīt get any AA at all, might have to try turning it off on the card, could use some more frames...

txnetcop
December 5th, 2008, 02:00
This brings up an intresting point...

On my very old HP I never used anything but default..It was not great,but using AA or AF did nothing so I left it all alone except in the game settings....

Only when I had two expensive high end rigs built did I really need to start fussing with all that stuff....

You would think it would be the opposite of that.....Who knows.....

One of these days, a PC game will just install and work good for everyone...But at that point we'll all be flying to and fro in our personal hover craft / spacebots and I'll long be gone....:banghead:

I still say something is horribly wrong when an average off the shelfer can run FSX good and a custom built fast high end one built just for FSX falls on its face......

And two identical builds vary so much .....It all just :bs:

Sorry Mason I have to strongly disagree with ya:

First off don't you believe that cow poop that an average off the shelfer can run FSX good. It may run it, but good is in the eyes of someone willing to settle for less usually. I have yet to see one low-end PC run FSX in high quality anything with no jaggies whatsoever on high resolution and keep decent frame rates. Lesser CPUs, video cards, motherboards, and memory produce less results in texture rendering.

Second, if a system is built well, you will get good results with FSX. There are several here on the forum what will attest to that. Nvidia and ATI struggle a bit with the new DX10 cards trying to run FSX in DX9 mode you will get better results quicker in DX10 preview but be prepared for a frame rate hit and you have to put up with Vista's :bs:(I've been dying to use this emoticon) Although with SP1 Vista has improved a bit.

However, with a little patience, you can acheive what you are looking for with an Nvidia or ATI card. I do believe that nHancer adds much more to the experience with an Nvidia card and it only takes a little effort to learn how to use it properly by reading the guide. ATi sets up way easier now that 8-11 drivers are out that now honestly take into consideration the 770RV engine specs.

Last but not least, usually identical builds will run FSX the same way if the builder knows what he or she is doing...usually but not always. FSX is a quirky animal. I have had 200 great flights and out of nowhere nothing looks good and then wait another and make another attempt and it will show better results:isadizzy: Don't tweak what has always worked well. it is usually a system anomaly.

My two cents,
Ted

Roger
December 5th, 2008, 03:34
I run my 8800GTX with AA & AF on in the game and Enhance application in Nvidia Control panel.

noddy
December 5th, 2008, 04:00
I run my 8800GTX with AA & AF on in the game and Enhance application in Nvidia Control panel.

Same here.

harleyman
December 5th, 2008, 04:11
Well I only speak in general terms here.....

And it does all come down to the users abality to settle on what is acceptable.......

But with my off the shel PC AA and AF were to hard a hit on its slim processor,so I used none and all was *fair* for a couple years...

Once I got a rig that could run FS9 / FSX is when I had to start playing with all the control panel stuff.....

That was my point......

But I agree...It all comes down to what we accept as good,or as good as it gets.....

And this guy is fun....I agree on that.....:bs:

And this one too.....:friday:

And to clarify I was not meaning one man build two identical rigs that both handles Flight Sims differently.....

There are many here with all but the same specs,and all have different struggels.....Point being this is mostly absurd..Why can a game not be made to just install and run...Thats what most want...Who wants to get a total education in computers and how they work just to have to use third party software to try and make things better that should already be good... Not me really...For the 65 some odd dollare I paid for the soft ware I expected it to install and work well...It does not nor will it ever I feel.......

Thats like going to a car dealership,paying through the nose for a new car,and having to repair it before it leaves the lot........

Or going to a restuarant and ordering the biggest steak dinner they have for 25 bucks...And after you eat your meal,the chef comes out and says,sorry,but that steak was harder to cook than I thought,so it will now cost you 35 dollars....

Hey...I got dozens of these...But I will quit.....

Panther_99FS
December 5th, 2008, 04:22
Still....
No reason as to why my system powers off upon starting FSX with any driver new than 169.21 :isadizzy:

txnetcop
December 5th, 2008, 04:24
Still....
No reason as to why my system powers off upon starting FSX with any driver new than 169.21 :isadizzy:

Hey P can you describe exactly what takes place. Do you get a warning message? Does your screen go goofy on you first? OH yes and what video card do you have?
Ted

Panther_99FS
December 5th, 2008, 04:26
Hey P can you describe exactly what takes place. Do you get a warning message? Does your screen go goofy on you first? OH yes and what video card do you have?
Ted

No warnings, no messages, no nothing....when I go to select a plane...POWER OFF!!! :censored: And I do NOT use beta- drivers.

512mb 8600GT

Cazzie
December 5th, 2008, 04:26
Panther, I use the 178.13 drivers on my two SLI 8800s. I always have AA on in both nHancer and FSX.

Pictures from my rig will show you why. Maybe some fellows get better from just having AA on in nHancer or the nvidia Control Panel, but I'll let the screens do the talking.

No AA in FSX:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y168/cazmodel/fsx_mnoaa.jpg

AA in FSX:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y168/cazmodel/fsx_aa.jpg

Caz

Panther_99FS
December 5th, 2008, 04:30
Non-beta 178 drivers = my system powers off. :censored:

I'm telling you...
I've tried EVERY SINGLE NON-BETA driver newer than the 169 series and all of them cause my system to power off in FSX...:censored:

txnetcop
December 5th, 2008, 04:38
Are you using nHancer? Also check your processes to see if anything looks out of place from what you had before you installed the Nvidia drivers. One more thing, run msconfig and check your boot.ini and startup

Ted

noddy
December 5th, 2008, 04:39
Have you made sure all traces of the old drivers have been taken off the system.

Panther_99FS
December 5th, 2008, 04:44
Are you using nHancer? Also check your processes to see if anything looks out of place from what you had before you installed the Nvidia drivers. One more thing, run msconfig and check your boot.ini and startup

Ted

Nope, I've never touched nHancer. System runs fine EXCEPT for FSX..

Have you made sure all traces of the old drivers have been taken off the system.

Yep - Use DriverCleaner...

harleyman
December 5th, 2008, 05:00
All I know is that after the 169 series nvidia started including their PhysX technolory..........

No real clue as to that being a culprit or not..But thats the only difference in the drivers I know about.....

Maybe its a DirectX conflict with backwards compatible...

This is way out of my league...Sorry...Wish I had a better answer....

Panther_99FS
December 5th, 2008, 05:05
All I know is that after the 169 series nvidia started including their PhysX technolory..........
This is way out of my league...Sorry...Wish I had a better answer....

Actually,
This is the best bit of information yet :mixedsmi:

txnetcop
December 5th, 2008, 05:13
If the engine is in there your can disable it in your add remove
Ted

Bjoern
December 5th, 2008, 05:44
One last NVidia question....

Why is it that ANY DRIVER new than the 169.21 series causes my system to POWER OFF as soon as I try a flight in FSX....:censored::banghead:

PSU too weak, CPU too hot, bugged OS, bugged card...

Do other games work?

- Edit: Does your PSU deliver 18A on the +12V rail?

I am running 180.70 here, and used a lot of beta and leaked drivers, and they all worked for me, sometimes if I use something that is intense on resources screen goes black and FS restarts, but I guess thatīs no graphics card issue...

PSU too weak? CPU too hot?

- Edit: VCore too low?

Cazzie
December 5th, 2008, 05:48

Ted

Ted, I have found that it is best to uninstall nHancer before changing forceware drivers and re-install after the new forceware drivers are installed. In one instance I did not do this and nHancer from an original install did not recognize the new drivers. An uninstall and re-install of nHancer and it did fine.

Caz

txnetcop
December 5th, 2008, 06:23
Ted, I have found that it is best to uninstall nHancer before changing forceware drivers and re-install after the new forceware drivers are installed. In one instance I did not do this and nHancer from an original install did not recognize the new drivers. An uninstall and re-install of nHancer and it did fine.

Caz

yes you are correct and then reinstall thanks for adding that.
Ted

FLighT01
December 5th, 2008, 06:54
this brings up an intresting point...

One of these days, a pc game will just install and work good for everyone...

Pong!

harleyman
December 5th, 2008, 07:18
Pong!

:costumes::costumes: I had that and loved it....Where is it when you need it...

Hi Frank...Hows live and that beast? No...Not the misses......LOL

Navy Chief
December 5th, 2008, 07:54
I can't help but constantly try to tweak settings. Seems like I am forever in search of the "perfect" video card setting, and I will never be satisfied!!! It's never fast enough, and it's never clear enough!

NC

harleyman
December 5th, 2008, 08:10
I can't help but constantly try to tweak settings. Seems like I am forever in search of the "perfect" video card setting, and I will never be satisfied!!! It's never fast enough, and it's never clear enough!

NC

The *Holy Grail* is not for FSX........:costumes::costumes:

But I'm like you...if I ever get it good enough I may be happy......

FLighT01
December 5th, 2008, 08:25
:costumes::costumes: I had that and loved it....Where is it when you need it...

Hi Frank...Hows live and that beast? No...Not the misses......LOL

Hi Mason. The new Quad Core is runniing FSX very well, still running stock FSX at 45 to 60 FPS @ 1920 X 1200 on a 26" monitor most locations and very high settings (and still butt ugly of course without UTX, GEX, the usual litany). Never seems to go below 35 and very smooth 99% of the time. If you fly FSX it's gonna' burp from time to time, I don't care what you run it on, it's just a fact of life. As more complex add ons get installed along with it the chances of burping go up as FPS starts to flag. My goal is to keep FPS @ 30 with 1% variation. Gotta' have a goal.

I'm breaking in a CH Eclipse Yoke presently and lurking the usual forums. I've got a lot of vacation days left yet to take by end of the month so will be home flying a lot, life is good, sometimes.

I look forward to the latest chapter in your computer saga - possible faulty power supply causing some interference with the video card and therefore the monitor but in conjunction with only FSX and Crysis? I can think of many such issues decades ago with other electronic applications but in a PC, now that would be interesting.

Cobra8472
December 5th, 2008, 09:40
Haven't read the entire thread, but for what it's worth;

Setting proper AA and AF in the nVidia control panel should bring better performance to the table. (short answer, I know ;))

FLighT01
December 5th, 2008, 10:34
My experience has been better visuals and performance using Nhancer over the Ntune on my 280 or Contol Panel on my 7900, or allowing FSX to control AA and AF. But with so many variables in any given system I guess one could come up with different results with different combinations of all. Just take over clocking. Take 2 identical systems, 1 CPU OC's stable at 4.0, the other at only 3.6 before it shuts down. Same with video cards, so much for consistency. Manufacturing tolerances I guess.