PDA

View Full Version : What was the deal with the LOTUS L39 nosewheel stearing again?

Warrant
April 5th, 2011, 13:56
Don't you have the same annoying thing.....
Spending ages to tweak an aircraft, fly it till kingdom come.....and then an update by the developer is released (resetting all stuff you tweaked)!
Good they release updates and so, but when the structure of their files comprehence a lot of folders and it took them a long time to release the update (so you don't exactly remember what the hell you tweaked), it starts to hit the pain levels for me!

What was the deal with the Lotus L-39 nosewheel steering again?

Can i just copy and paste a certain fragment from a certain aircraft.cfg to all other aircraft.cfg files or not? If yes....what part?

Awwwww, this is frustrating! It's like doing the same homework you did like two years ago all over again.

JayKae
April 5th, 2011, 14:14
Lotus supplies a folder (Can't check cause I am at work ) with the nose configs in it, ready to go for you to use :)

Warrant
April 5th, 2011, 14:21
Lotus supplies a folder (Can't check cause I am at work ) with the nose configs in it, ready to go for you to use :)

Yup, i know, but i don't know what part to copy (having repaints and all).

I don't know what part of these files make "the clock tick"....

Lotus
April 5th, 2011, 14:36
A castoring nose wheel may be realistic, but it isn't always fun I know!

All you need to do is open the aircraft.cfg file for each L-39 type and scroll down to the [contact_points] section.

The first entry in that section is the nose wheel. It looks like this...

point.0= 1.000, 12.9, 0.000, -6.650, 1600.000, 0.000, 0.710, 180.000, 0.10, 3.50, 0.7, 4.200, 4.000, 0, 225, 224

Change the 180.000 to 60.000 and you have the realistic castoring limit of the nose gear but with steering enabled. That's all the alternate aircraft.cfg files change.

Cheers,

-Mike

Warrant
April 5th, 2011, 14:46
A castoring nose wheel may be realistic, but it isn't always fun I know!

All you need to do is open the aircraft.cfg file for each L-39 type and scroll down to the [contact_points] section.

The first entry in that section is the nose wheel. It looks like this...

point.0= 1.000, 12.9, 0.000, -6.650, 1600.000, 0.000, 0.710, 180.000, 0.10, 3.50, 0.7, 4.200, 4.000, 0, 225, 224

Change the 180.000 to 60.000 and you have the realistic castoring limit of the nose gear but with steering enabled. That's all the alternate aircraft.cfg files change.

Cheers,

-Mike

Now that is what makes the Lotus-clock tick!

Fast and sense-making response :salute:

Thanks a million, Mike! :medals:

Lotus
April 5th, 2011, 14:54
No problem.

I should mention though that the FSX version, even without nose wheel steering, is a lot easier to taxi than the real deal. In the real jet the total brake pressure is controlled by a bicycle style handle on the stick, and that pressure is then distributed to the wheels by depressing the rudder pedals. Just to make it even more difficult, if the guy in the back even slightly depresses the brake handle on his stick the one in the front loses control completely. I know of a couple L-39 runway accidents caused by this. They also won't work without sufficient pressure on the nose wheel.

How anyone thought that this system was a good idea is beyond my understanding. :)

-Mike

Phantom88
April 5th, 2011, 15:03
Mike,Any Updates on The Mig-29 You might be able to share with your fans?
THX:salute:

Warrant
April 5th, 2011, 15:07
No problem.

I should mention though that the FSX version, even without nose wheel steering, is a lot easier to taxi than the real deal. In the real jet the total brake pressure is controlled by a bicycle style handle on the stick, and that pressure is then distributed to the wheels by depressing the rudder pedals. Just to make it even more difficult, if the guy in the back even slightly depresses the brake handle on his stick the one in the front loses control completely. I know of a couple L-39 runway accidents caused by this. They also won't work without sufficient pressure on the nose wheel.

How anyone thought that this system was a good idea is beyond my understanding. :)

-Mike

Wow, never knew this. I know a guy who used to fly F-16's who is now flying L39's. He was converted to F-16AM. This must be a huge step back handling this spartanic bird! But then again; from an F-16AM to the L-39 is all about going back to basics (Grin!).

Thanks for the additional info, Mike :salute:

Lotus
April 5th, 2011, 15:09
Not at the moment, sorry Phantom. Mig's been on the back burner for awhile, with a fair bit of "life" stuff getting in the way, not the least of which has been a lot of overdue home renovations. The only textures I've been painting lately are of the wall and ceiling variety haha.

-Mike

Phantom88
April 5th, 2011, 15:32
Haha!!! Fair enough Mike. I know the feeling, THX for the reply.
Cheers!