PDA

View Full Version : Photo Frame monitor hack

kilo delta
April 5th, 2011, 04:57
Might be worth giving this a try if you've a digital photo frame laying about... http://m.punkgamer.pl/!!!web/fsx/

The default gps gauge would be ideal on a small 7" screen. :)

roger-wilco-66
April 6th, 2011, 03:16
hmmmm, interesting link. Now how can I kidnap that photoframe in the livingroom without my wife noticing it... :redf:

Cheers,
Mark

Desert Rat
April 6th, 2011, 10:33
Whilst I was adding these frames to my wishlist on Amazon, 8 & 10inch. I spotted a 7 inch touchscreen USB monitor for not just that much more, that would be pretty neat. Wonder if it would need the same 'hack'?

Jamie

MarkH
April 6th, 2011, 11:12
Whilst I was adding these frames to my wishlist on Amazon, 8 & 10inch. I spotted a 7 inch touchscreen USB monitor for not just that much more, that would be pretty neat. Wonder if it would need the same 'hack'?

Jamie

I recently went around the loop of buying a 7" touchscreen USB monitor (Mimo UM-720F) off Amazon. Worked great, except not with FSX. Buried deep in the manual was a bit that said it didn't support Direct-X applications 'such as games'. Luckily they refunded with no hassles.

Seems very hard to source a small LCD display with a VGA interface these days. About £220 for a 7" touchscreen, and not much less for a non-touchscreen one. Which is why my GPSMap 296 is currently the 'large print' variety, displayed on its own 15" screen!

Desert Rat
April 6th, 2011, 13:34
Thanks Mark,

saved me some money there, at some point at least. At those prices, be as well doing as you have, normal monitor. Can you place more stuff onit, say, GPS and other pop up panels, say,each on a quarter of the screen?

Jamie

SkippyBing
April 6th, 2011, 14:00
If you get a touch screen tablet running Android (or an iPad if you're made of money) there are various apps available that will turn it into a moving map display for FSX. Annoyingly I can't find the one on my phone at the moment and I can't remember if it displays your flight plan or not.

Anyway I need to figure out how to add a third monitor to my set up without having to buy a new motherboard...