PDA

View Full Version : Question about Installers and Win 7

Blackbird686
April 4th, 2011, 13:42
I have never been a big fan of installers and have always run their contents to a temp folder and extracted from that folder, into my FS. Problem is, in so doing I cannot re-install my copy of the RealAir Spit MkXIV, the RealAir SM-260, my Plane Design Spitfire XVI and NONE of my A2A stuff. (Including my Shockwave Lights, which is a real bummer :173go1:).

Knowing how security sensitive Win 7 is, I'm askeered to just run the installer to the destination folder. I have my FS installed in a far away location on the HD, away from the X86 partition. Runs better that way. I have all my license keys but because the info doesn't go directly into the registry in Win 7 by running to a temp location for a specific package, I cannot apply the registration key, after keying the numbers into the little box. The "NEXT" button is greyed out and the only option I have is to cancel and exit the setup.

Has anyone else had this problem? Has anyone any thoughts on how to fix this problem?

BB686:USA-flag:

Moparmike
April 4th, 2011, 14:16
Just run the installer. If it's from a reputable company then you shouldn't have any issues. I don't have any problems with running any of the payware companies' installers...the biggest reason that they have developed the system they have is to get those license keys/files/etc into their proper spot in an attempt to better foil the pirates.

If you're concerned about an installer porking up your FS, or Windows, install, then I would check into one of the backup imaging utilities like Acronis TrueImage Home, Macrium Reflect, Norton Ghost (ughh!), or even the built-in Windows7 Backup Image tool.
There are several good open-source (as in freebie) utilities out there that work just as good. Clonezilla, FOG, Ghost4Linux (don't be fooled by the name. It'll clone Windows partitions too), etc.

Create a backup image before you run the installers...if you don't like what you see or if things stop working, restore from the image to the point in time before the installer.
Besides saving your kiester from software gone wrong it's a good idea to have a current backup image laying around in case you ever have a hard-drive failure.

Personally, I use Acronis TrueImage on several 7 and XP machines.

Blackbird686
April 5th, 2011, 12:40
Thanks man... I didn't think about the Win 7 Back-up Image tool... but I don't know everything anyway. I will look into the Acronis TrueImage product as well.

fliger747
April 6th, 2011, 10:02
My FSX and FS9 installations run very well from the x86 area. I have had installers put the files in a new FSX folder they have created in other locations, but usually they work OK.

I have not found Win7 to be the PITA that Vista was.

Cheers: T

Blackbird686
April 6th, 2011, 10:48
Fortunately, I have never had the dis-pleasure of working with Vista, some of my friends have used it and hated it.

I plan to run the installer for my Shockwave P-51D this evening when I get a little time. I will have to re-direct the installer to point to the path I created for FS9, and see how it goes. I will create a restore point with Windows before I pull the trigger on the installer, just to be sure.