PDA

View Full Version : dust on takeoff and landing

merlin2
April 4th, 2011, 12:39
Just wondering if it would be possible for someone to make a dust stream for use on take off and landing as an effect; it seems to me that one ought to be able to take an existing effect for landing on water and modify it (density, colour, etc.) to give this dust effect for desert areas.

with thanks

Fibber
April 4th, 2011, 13:53
IIRC there is something here in the library exactly for that. I looked in my little squirrelbin and found that it was PSULLKEYS that made it for snow and dust. I have it as SNOW.ZIP. :salute:

sc7500
April 4th, 2011, 14:15
Snow.Zip isn't showing up anywhere under Psully's archives, Fibber - could you please Re-Upload it to the Library under his name ?

Thanx
SC
:kilroy:

kelticheart
April 4th, 2011, 14:30
Hi folks,

there was a pack of various effects hanging around called "Nick's Prop Dust". I think it could be downloaded over at FlightSim.com.

It caused a lot of excitment because the effects could be triggered with Green Ghost's effect controlling gauge, which had just been released at the time.

I have it archived on a CD because the fps impact was very negative, but the effect collection was very nice. Perhaps on a new pc the framerate impact is not so bad.

Cheers!
KH :ernae:

Fibber
April 4th, 2011, 17:39
I sent it on in the "Effects" upload . So it should be available sometime.:salute:

wolfi
April 4th, 2011, 17:48
about Green "Ghost's effect controlling gauge" did it work on Ai aircraft also?

wolfi

Fibber
April 4th, 2011, 17:54
It is up and available already!!! Talk about fast service!:icon_lol:

Fibber
April 4th, 2011, 17:58
Re-reading the "Readme" for the gauges it states that it is for player aircraft only. I was also reading the Nibbio effects for vehicles and was wondering has anyone tried that one for aircraft, or if it woul work?

merlin2
April 5th, 2011, 03:58
thanks all; what a great group!

Discus
April 5th, 2011, 04:37
I have it installed in some of my planes. I did it a long time ago. So long that I forgot until last week I pressed L in the keyboard and dust came from the plane, although I was on a pavement runway!!

Discus:salute:

simonu
April 5th, 2011, 06:13
So the L key is actually for switching lights on and off.
CFS2 has the ability to use effect lights, in fact it makes no difference to CFS2 what the effect actually is.
So the L key can be used to trigger a dust effect or a wake effect, a smoke effect or even an explosive effect. Its all the same to CFS2.
Whilst the sim does monitor what sort ground surface you are on. There is no system to connect this to effects display apart from the gauge system, which can be programmed to do all kinds of magic.

As for AI, well the only way to apply effects to AI is via the DP [extra] section. There is no control over the effect. So this method is ok for vehicle dust, ship wake, aircraft exhaust and those great mission triggered flair and marker effects that Nibbio created. It would work for dust but the dust will follow the aircraft into the sky and be rather like exhaust smoke. Tried it with AI seaplanes, trying to get wake. Looks great on the water looks pretty silly in the sky.

wolfi
April 5th, 2011, 12:15
so the effect must be built into the mdl....,mh... maybe it will work as tire, I've two types of tire , tires still and tires blured.

beepee
April 5th, 2011, 12:57
Try this link http://members.jcom.home.ne.jp/hago/tips.htm
It will link you to the "tips" section at the Agochu CFS2 aircraft factory where explanations are given for different types of effects.
One little problem : they are written in japan language but you can translate them with the "google" translation tool, wich permits to understand (more or less) the explanations given by Agochu

wolfi
April 5th, 2011, 13:36
this is a built in dust effect (only to the left tire)

wolfi
April 5th, 2011, 14:07
Another idea, what if I place the green ghost gauge in the main model, not only into the virtual cockpit? I think I’ve to learn how to use the gauge, than try it-
wolfi

Discus
April 5th, 2011, 15:24
this is a built in dust effect (only to the left tire)

Good work Wolfi!

Can CFS2 code recognize the difference between paved or unpaved runways?

Ali Cat
April 5th, 2011, 17:46
Terrific thread everyone - all this is news to me. But take care, you're giving me ideas. Could I Twitter from a 2D panel? Hmm ... now let me think.

Salute,
AC

wolfi
April 6th, 2011, 05:01
Good work Wolfi!

Can CFS2 code recognize the difference between paved or unpaved runways?

I think unfortunately not, but for the WW2 airfields they are mostly unpaved I think. The build in effect can't be changed, the effect shown in the picture is a fast try to look how it looks and works, I need a good dust texture to work with, in the moment I work with the FX_1 texture to be found in the main texture folder.

wolfi

Discus
April 6th, 2011, 06:33
I think unfortunately not, but for the WW2 airfields they are mostly unpaved I think. The build in effect can't be changed, the effect shown in the picture is a fast try to look how it looks and works, I need a good dust texture to work with, in the moment I work with the FX_1 texture to be found in the main texture folder.

wolfi

So then it would be fantastic to have one effect for dust clouds on the mediterranean/afrikan zone and other for the more humid terrains such as UK, north of France, Germany, etc.. MED andAFR installs get one effect and ETO gets the other. Light planes like fighters could always have it, and heavy planes like bombers (Iīm thinking in B17 and B24) wouldnīt need it as they used paved runways and tarmacs.

Itīs all a compromise and it would be a permanent summer effect for fighters/fighter bombers in the ETO. If the ETO texture is light grey it would fit well even with winter textures.

UncleTgt
April 6th, 2011, 07:01
Wolfi,

This is very interesting train of thought.

My suggestion for a dust bmp would be to recolour one of the hi rez cloud bmps (with plenty of alpha channel) & see how that looks.:wavey:

wolfi
April 6th, 2011, 07:23
So then it would be fantastic to have one effect for dust clouds on the mediterranean/afrikan zone and other for the more humid terrains such as UK, north of France, Germany, etc.. MED andAFR installs get one effect and ETO gets the other. Light planes like fighters could always have it, and heavy planes like bombers (Iīm thinking in B17 and B24) wouldnīt need it as they used paved runways and tarmacs.

Itīs all a compromise and it would be a permanent summer effect for fighters/fighter bombers in the ETO. If the ETO texture is light grey it would fit well even with winter textures.

Well the problem with the built in effect is, it's built in! That are polygons added as (blurred) wheels to the aircraft. So the effect appears only when the wheels are rotating through starting or landing. The effect can't be added to older aircraft or only through the owner of the source file.

wolfi

wolfi
April 6th, 2011, 07:29
Wolfi,

This is very interesting train of thought.

My suggestion for a dust bmp would be to recolour one of the hi rez cloud bmps (with plenty of alpha channel) & see how that looks.:wavey:

so if any who knows to make it better than me, please make one or two dust clouds as 256x256 bitmap

here is the converted fx_1 texture, I converted it and made the alpha channel (the upper half) visible

Fibber
April 6th, 2011, 19:36
Thank you for correcting that upload. I don't know how it went under my name. I was just a squirreler making someones elses lost hard work available. :salute:

bobhegf
April 21st, 2011, 22:47
Fellows why not make it a trigerd Effect. Or you could could add it as an effect to the aircraft and have it trigger at a set speed and have it only last a second or two.

Discus
April 22nd, 2011, 15:28
Not a bad idea!