PDA

View Full Version : How to see the repaint without running FSX

BAT21
April 4th, 2011, 03:28
Hi
I use an old lap-top for the repaint, than I move the dds file to a new PC, run FSX and finaly I can see the repaint of the aircraft.

Surfing I read that there is a free program "Aircraft Container Manager" that shows the aircraft, but it works only with FS9 and not FSX.

Do you know if there are some other free program for do that?

cheers Marco

roger-wilco-66
April 4th, 2011, 04:27
You might want to try

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14215

Cheers,
Mark

BAT21
April 4th, 2011, 05:53
Hi Mark,
thanks for the reply

I understand that ModelConverter convert the texture (for example) from dds to dx3

What I am looking for is something where I can see the entire aircraft with the new skin without using FSX

RobH
April 4th, 2011, 06:06
BAT21,

Check this thread, this should be what you want. Download link is in the first post.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?22896-FSX-MDL-viewer-update-a-few-things-I-ve-been-working-on.&highlight=model+viewer

roger-wilco-66
April 4th, 2011, 06:09
Marco,

MCX loads the mdl file of the aircraft with it's textures and displays it instantly! Just try it.
Converting textures is just one of the numerous functions MCX has.

Cheers,
Mark

BAT21
April 4th, 2011, 06:42
thanks
I will try this evening

cheers Marco

falcon409
April 4th, 2011, 07:23
This isn't freeware, but well worth the money. . . ."FSRepaint" from Abacus
I use it solely to check repaints in progress. I can open it full-screen and zoom in close to check critical areas of alignment. Just another suggestion worth looking into if you do a lot of repainting.

Bjoern
April 4th, 2011, 10:54
The trial version of FSRepaint also does the trick, since you want nothing more than to look at the model anyways.

BAT21
April 4th, 2011, 11:01
hi Mark
ModelConverterX works !!!!
but there is something strange: the aircraft seems to be like a "chess table"

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshots/images/323chess_table_tn.jpg (http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshots/view.php?filename=323chess_table.jpg)

I have to understand how to use the tool

cheers Marco

SkippyBing
April 4th, 2011, 11:36
Have you pointed MCX at the MDL file in the FSX/SimObjects/Airplanes/Aircraft X folder?
I get that when I point it at an MDL that isn't in the correct folder structure i.e. separate model and texture folders with an aircraft.cfg in the parent folder.

BAT21
April 4th, 2011, 11:58
I pointed in the right MDL file
may be in that X-Aircraft folder there are few texture (as folder texture.ABC and in the aircraft.cfg) but how can ignore that ?

falcon409
April 4th, 2011, 12:00
In the past I tried this (even though I already had FSRepaint) several times and always got an error about it being a non-supported mdl file (usually with just about any FS9 portover I tried). I thought I'd give it another shot, this time with the recently revisited T-33A that was converted to native FSX. Here is the result and the error messages I got. I checked the texture files and those textures (obviously) are present. Looks a lot like what BAT21 got to me.:salute:

By the way. . .it shows that the textures it's looking for are "bmp". . . .but these are DDS.

SkippyBing
April 4th, 2011, 12:21
I pointed in the right MDL file
may be in that X-Aircraft folder there are few texture (as folder texture.ABC and in the aircraft.cfg) but how can ignore that ?

That shouldn't be a problem as it checks the aircraft.cfg and gives you the option of selecting between the different available textures in one of the menus.

Reading Falcon409's post I'm wondering if it's getting confused by seeing an FS9 format MDL in an FSX folder structure?

Edit to add

Just checked, actually without hacking around it only looks in certain places for the texture, i.e. the texture folder, not texture.XYZ so if you put your repaint textures in there it should show up in MCX.

RobH
April 4th, 2011, 12:25
This is why I like the FSX Model Viewer. You can pick from the left corner all the different liveries in your cfg file. Just wish the lighting was a little brighter.

SkippyBing
April 4th, 2011, 12:38
This is why I like the FSX Model Viewer. You can pick from the left corner all the different liveries in your cfg file. Just wish the lighting was a little brighter.

Ahhh, that's what I was confusing MCX with! I've gone through phases of using both depending on what I'm doing and have started to confuse the capabilities of the two!

n4gix
April 4th, 2011, 12:41
Actually, it's a very trivial matter to add the path in MCX to any of the texture.variations...

Hint: read the manual! :bump:

roger-wilco-66
April 4th, 2011, 22:06
Actually, it's a very trivial matter to add the path in MCX to any of the texture.variations...

Hint: read the manual! :bump:

Wanted to add that the newest beta version of MCX (see the link to the download thread I gave in my first post) automaticaly loads different livery variations which you then can choose on the main screen. I only work with the beta versions, because they have a lot of new functions.
Agreed, MCX has its problems with some FS9 portovers, expecially those which were converted from CFS2.

I totally forgot about the FSX Model Viewer which was mentioned by RobH. That also would meet your needs!

Cheers,
Mark

Dave Torkington
April 4th, 2011, 22:42
Wanted to add that the newest beta version of MCX (see the link to the download thread I gave in my first post) automaticaly loads different livery variations which you then can choose on the main screen. I only work with the beta versions, because they have a lot of new functions.

Cheers,
Mark

Now why did I miss Arnos beta version of MCX? Thanks for the re-post Mark - I can now preview many FS9 low poly models that I repaint and use for AI :jump:

Regards,

Dave.

BAT21
April 6th, 2011, 22:13
I finally installed MDLview
it works fine :jump:
cheers Marco

olderndirt
April 7th, 2011, 10:07
In the past I tried this (even though I already had FSRepaint) several times and always got an error about it being a non-supported mdl file (usually with just about any FS9 portover I tried). I thought I'd give it another shot, this time with the recently revisited T-33A that was converted to native FSX. Here is the result and the error messages I got. I checked the texture files and those textures (obviously) are present. Looks a lot like what BAT21 got to me.:salute:

By the way. . .it shows that the textures it's looking for are "bmp". . . .but these are DDS.When I first bought FSRepaint, most aircraft presented textures for repaint but lately all I seem to get are gray images and no repaintable texture panels. Are there any published instructions, other than those with the software?

falcon409
April 7th, 2011, 10:12
When I first bought FSRepaint, most aircraft presented textures for repaint but lately all I seem to get are gray images and no repaintable texture panels. Are there any published instructions, other than those with the software?
There have been several updates to FSRepaint that address some compatibility issues for FSX aircraft and some FS9 portovers. You might want to start a support ticket with Abacus and let them know what you're experiencing and what version of FSRepaint you are currently running.:salute:

TeiscoDelRay
April 7th, 2013, 12:29
For those of you who use Model Converter X, how do you choose a livery to view? I think my version has a ghost in that it will only display one livery and not the one I want. I even deleted all liveries except the one I need and also deleted them from the aircraft config so there is only one left in FSX but somehow Model Converter X shows the deleted livery and not mine.

I found a button in MCX for Liveries but when I select the one I want nothing changes, it still shows the deleted livery.

Paul Domingue
April 7th, 2013, 13:59
This isn't freeware, but well worth the money. . . ."FSRepaint" from Abacus
I use it solely to check repaints in progress. I can open it full-screen and zoom in close to check critical areas of alignment. Just another suggestion worth looking into if you do a lot of repainting.

I purchased FSRepaint from Abacus for FS9 and never could get the program to work. I asked Abacus for help repeatedly but they ignored me so I ended any relationship with Abacus at that point.

falcon409
April 7th, 2013, 14:45
Not surprising Paul, I also have repeatedly sent support requests without even so much as an e-mail to say they were working on it. The program works fine for what I use it for, although it seems a bit quirky at times when displaying some dds format textures and even some FS9 portovers. Still my go-to program for quickly checking working liveries.

PutPut
April 7th, 2013, 14:56
For those of you who use Model Converter X, how do you choose a livery to view? I think my version has a ghost in that it will only display one livery and not the one I want. I even deleted all liveries except the one I need and also deleted them from the aircraft config so there is only one left in FSX but somehow Model Converter X shows the deleted livery and not mine.

I found a button in MCX for Liveries but when I select the one I want nothing changes, it still shows the deleted livery.

Weird! My copy shows the selected livery. It works with both default aircraft and my own models. I "think" I have the latest beta version installed. Don't see where the version number is displayed.

Best, Paul

Edit: No, I am running v 1.3.0.0 which is not a beta.

TeiscoDelRay
April 7th, 2013, 15:28
Thanks, let me ask you this, when you have the model in the viewer and you then select a livery how do you get that livery to show? Once I select the livery nothing happens so is there another button or a refresh to allow it to show?

PutPut
April 7th, 2013, 18:31
Thanks, let me ask you this, when you have the model in the viewer and you then select a livery how do you get that livery to show? Once I select the livery nothing happens so is there another button or a refresh to allow it to show?

No, I just click on the desired livery in the dropdown to highlite it then double click on it and it loads. Here is Lionhearts TriPacer showing the selected livery.

Paul

TeiscoDelRay
February 3rd, 2017, 13:23
Any new or better model viewers available?

jeansy
February 3rd, 2017, 14:18
Any new or better model viewers available?

no news as the best one by far is MCX, fs repaint by abacrap is a complete waste of money and time

TeiscoDelRay
February 3rd, 2017, 14:58
I tried MCX but it will only open certain mdl files,,,just not the ones I want to view.

jeansy
February 3rd, 2017, 15:36
what type of mdls are you after? and have you got the latest version?

TeiscoDelRay
February 3rd, 2017, 15:42
Latest version I think,,,will not open Connie files.

Lonewolfee1
February 3rd, 2017, 15:49

Paul. MCX will open the Connie mdl for me. I click on import - then select the mdl file - then wait a few moments for it to compile. It will then show black and white checked mdl. Then select livery from the drop down. It takes a sec but the livery should show. At least it does for me. I select the mdl file straight from the FSX location.

jeansy
February 3rd, 2017, 15:51
Latest version I think,,,will not open Connie files.

unfortunately you dont, ive used mcx when i did my connies with out fault, it sounds like your using the basic version

http://www.scenerydesign.org/latest-release/modelconverterx_latest_development_release.zip

Bjoern
February 4th, 2017, 04:05
Ground rule for MCX: Never use version 1.3. I don't even know why Arno still offers it. The development versions are lightyears better.

TeiscoDelRay
February 4th, 2017, 04:13
Thanks, your right, I had the old version and this new version works great! I unziped to a folder so can I put that folder in program files and run it from a link on desktop?

Bjoern
February 4th, 2017, 09:58
You can put MCX' folder anywhere you like and put shortcuts anywhere you need since it doesn't rely on registry entries.
I usually set MCX as the default program to open .mdl files with and it makes things quite easy.