PDA

View Full Version : 'A Final Salute To The WASPs'

Panther_99FS
October 1st, 2008, 17:34
They sure pulled (flew) more than their weight in gold---> http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123117470

MudMarine
October 1st, 2008, 18:21
Sad............I'm not looking forward to a world without WWII vets.

Wittpilot
October 1st, 2008, 18:28
Sad............I'm not looking forward to a world without WWII vets.

Definitely not Mudmarine... It's a scary thought really... There is a new girl working with me in this booth I work in.... And I often like to play a bit of trivia with people...really I just like to find out what kind of things people really know.... So I asked her if she could tell me either of the two president's that were in office during WWII.... she said Lincoln..... as in A. Lincoln........................................... .... a sad sad day indeed friends.....

-witt the worried.

cheezyflier
October 1st, 2008, 19:13
Definitely not Mudmarine... It's a scary thought really... There is a new girl working with me in this booth I work in.... And I often like to play a bit of trivia with people...really I just like to find out what kind of things people really know.... So I asked her if she could tell me either of the two president's that were in office during WWII.... she said Lincoln..... as in A. Lincoln........................................... .... a sad sad day indeed friends.....

-witt the worried.

i knew it was bad all the way back in 93 when i asked a 17 yr old girl a question and learned she had no idea who the beatles were:isadizzy:

simkid22
October 1st, 2008, 20:50
How can some one not know who the Beatles are?!?:isadizzy:

cheezyflier
October 2nd, 2008, 04:58
How can some one not know who the Beatles are?!?:isadizzy:

my point ezzackily!!!

Daveroo
October 2nd, 2008, 09:39
back to the fliers...beatles (shakes head)....a Lady i grew up knowing ...Mrs Dasher, she flew P38s to alaska ,told me she also flew ..as PIC, B17s at one time..others called BS to that..but i believed her..she had also flown other types..but i forget what they were now...nothing fancy like P51s..her glory was the long range flights in the P38s...she loved to tell storyies about those trips..i forget how many trips she made..but as i type this i remember her talking about flying a ventura and a few DC3's.

one of the guys who said she was full of BS about the B17..wont say his name..but he flew DC3's....he tells WILD stories of his WWII adventures...says he was involved in D-day ect...yet his own son says he never left USA shores during WWII and only went to the UK in late 46 to 47.weve allways thought it was a shame that he would make comments about mrs dasher when in fact he didnt do anything more than she did..ferry flights around the states.

a sad note to Mrs dasher....he husband had died and she was very ill...her son remorgaged the house..took the money..which was quite alot we found out..and spent it on a two new cars,bought his boy friend things ect...spent the majority on drugs..and within a year the bank forclosed on mrs dasher and she ended up dying in a "popperesqe" old folks home...very sad

OBIO
October 4th, 2008, 13:28
A few years ago, I was the Asst. Manager at a local thrift store. One day some folks came in to make a donation of stuff...clothing, household items, nick nacks. As the boxes were emptied and the items sorted, one of the gals came across a large envelope of papers and pictures and was going to just throw it away..but another gal there grabbed it, took a look at it, knew enough to know it was "old military stuff" and brought it to me as she knew I collected "old military stuff>'

Turns out the "old military stuff" was a good collection of paperwork, letters, photos, bus tickets and such of one Anna M. Henderson, who joined the United States Marines Womens Reserve in the Spring of 1945. She worked at Patterson Field, Dayton, Ohio beginning 3 September 1942.

I was dumfounded that someone would dispose of this collection so readily. I now have these papers, photos in my collection and maintain them in the condition they came to me. At some point, when I am old and frail, I will find a museum or archive to take them...and the rest of my WW2 items....for safe keeping and preservation.

Anyhow...way off topic sort of...but the women in the military today owe huge debts to the women who served during WW2. Those women opened doors and paved the way for what modern service women have today.

And like Mudmarine...I too do not look forward to a world without WW2 vets.

OBIO

cheezyflier
October 4th, 2008, 16:05
interesting site:
http://home.att.net/~sallyann5/b29/fly-girls4.html