PDA

View Full Version : Ride 'em soldier!

Willy
April 3rd, 2011, 15:44
Makes more sense than a beret to me...

http://www.army.mil/-news/2011/04/01/54202-stetson-hat-to-be-new-army-standard-headgear/?ref=news-home-title7

Panther_99FS
April 3rd, 2011, 15:53
Yep that was a cool April Fool's joke....:bump::bump:

Now in real life, we have...:wiggle:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5135/5580520433_42f2e1a6df.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/32299138@N08/5580520433/)DSC_0452 - 'U.S. Army Calvalry (Helicopter) Pilot' (http://www.flickr.com/photos/32299138@N08/5580520433/) by RedTail_Panther (http://www.flickr.com/people/32299138@N08/), on Flickr

andersel
April 3rd, 2011, 16:07
We’re at war in at least three separate countries, some people want to shut down the U.S. Government because they think it spends too much money, and now the Army now wants to spend tens (more like hundreds) of thousands or even millions of dollars for cool new hats? Give me a break! I thought the switch to berets was stupid, but this defies description. It’s a freaking military uniform, for Christ’s sake, not a god damned fashion show.

p.s. If it is an April Fools joke, then it's about as funny as my prosthetic leg.

TeaSea
April 3rd, 2011, 16:13
Stetson has more or less been an unofficial formal headgear for Cav units for years....

Personally, the best dress uniform the Army ever had were Khaki's with a standard garrison cap (usually referred to as a C***t cap). When I first came in that's what I wore, with the glider patch on the left side....Enlisted wore it on the right. Even had a half dollar sewn underneath the glider patch.

Best field uniform was the OG-107, with a PC (patrol cap). I've since worn a half dozen field uniforms and none of them matched the OG-107. As a DOD civilian I wear a ABU now....still not as good as the OG-107. Hell of a lot more expensive too.

And yes andersel, it was an April Fool's joke.....but then again, nothing surprises me anymore....

Panther_99FS
April 3rd, 2011, 16:49
p.s. If it is an April Fools joke, then it's about as funny as my prosthetic leg.

Yes, it was an April's Fools joke.....
Going back to uniforms, there was a time when all the services wore BDUs.....and no one complained about "identity"...

TARPSBird
April 3rd, 2011, 17:29
The Cav helo driver's hat was definitely cool. However the Army apparently hasn't picked up on wearing "Sierra Hotel" (sh*t-hot) flight suits for air show appearances like the other services do. Lose the camo BDU's and get some some tailored Sierra Hotels! :d

Railrunner130
April 4th, 2011, 00:04
Going back to uniforms, there was a time when all the services wore BDUs.....and no one complained about "identity"...

Amen. I don't even want to know how much each service having different uniforms is costing... us.

TARPSBird
April 4th, 2011, 09:20
The biggest joke is the Navy's blue camouflage BDU's. Who are you hiding from aboard ship, other than your Leading Petty Officer when it's time for work assignments? :icon_lol:

HouseHobbit
April 4th, 2011, 09:32
Yes the beret, was all but unknown when I was a solider, only a few units were allowed to wear them back then..
I had my German tankers beret from being stationed with a german armor unit (cross training)
and only a few men in our Armor unit had earned these..

At Fort Knox we had black berets also for selected armor units then also..
Always liked them better then our C*^T Caps..

The Cav hats now many wear do look better then what we had in the past..

But I expect to see John Wayne ride in wearing one..:salute: :salute:
Ya, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon kind of thing..:jump:

n4gix
April 4th, 2011, 09:45
Noooo....

Shakos are the bomb! :bump:

34551 (http://en.empirecostume.com/images/boutique/L/7299.jpg)

This however would never do!

34552]

Willy
April 4th, 2011, 16:22
The biggest joke is the Navy's blue camouflage BDU's. Who are you hiding from aboard ship, other than your Leading Petty Officer when it's time for work assignments? :icon_lol:

I've thought that the blue camo is something you don't want to be wearing topside just in case you happen to fall overboard. When you hit the water like that you want to be seen as quickly as possible.

TARPSBird
April 4th, 2011, 16:50
I've thought that the blue camo is something you don't want to be wearing topside just in case you happen to fall overboard. When you hit the water like that you want to be seen as quickly as possible.
I agree 100%, and along the same lines there was some logic to the old bell-bottom dungaree trousers (take 'em off and use 'em for flotation) and low-cut boondockers (easy removal).

PRB
April 4th, 2011, 16:58
Well, it could be worse... :icon_eek:

TARPSBird
April 4th, 2011, 20:50
Hehe, I like the little pom-poms on their shoes. :d But I wouldn't want to mess with those guys, they take that honor guard stuff real seriously.

Jagdflieger
April 4th, 2011, 20:51
Yes, the Cavalry's Stetson goes back many years and has always been part of the well dressed and smart cav trooper's uniform at unit functions. As they say in the Cav, if you ain't Cav, you ain't $***.

Yes, the old OG 107 was the best field uniform extant, although a set of old and moderately faded tiger stripes wasn't bad either.

Yes, the old starched cotton khakis with bloused Corcran parachute boots (highly spit shined) and an SF, Ranger or Para's beret was about as good as it got for dress uniforms.

A chief petty officer told me last year that the best thing about the new Navy cammo is that all the grey spots on them help to conceal all the grey paint that gets splashed on them when painting over rust on the ships. Sailors don't have to replace their uniforms as often as a result.

The current army flight uniform is hard to distinguish from the current ACU uniform as its cut is very similar and the camo pattern is the same. Only when up close can you tell that it's made of NOMEX and not cotton. As this lieutenant is wearing a cav patch above his name tape, I'd say that this is the NOMAX flight suit. Such a patch would be unauthorized for the ACU, but it is de rigeur for flight suits.

On the ground, a flame resistant material ACU is now issued for use on operations. It has more of a tan color to it, but it looks like the Army is now transitioning to the new Multicam cammo.