PDA

View Full Version : Vans RV8

Deano
April 3rd, 2011, 03:30
Tail Dragger and Tricycle, more details coming soon.

http://www.vertigostudios.co.uk/files/RV8_pics/vans_1.jpg http://www.vertigostudios.co.uk/files/RV8_pics/vans_2.jpg
http://www.vertigostudios.co.uk/files/RV8_pics/vans_3.jpg http://www.vertigostudios.co.uk/files/RV8_pics/vans_4.jpg

jeansy
April 3rd, 2011, 03:36
nice work :salute:

but it aint no b25:wiggle:

Deano
April 3rd, 2011, 03:37
diversify :)

Roger
April 3rd, 2011, 05:41
Great stuff Deano!

skyhawka4m
April 3rd, 2011, 06:07
Outstanding news!!! this is the one I believe Danny was working on! I can't wait to get this!!

Felixthreeone
April 3rd, 2011, 06:33
Outstanding news!!! this is the one I believe Danny was working on! I can't wait to get this!!

Me too!! Looks great! Will it have a pilot?

Deano
April 3rd, 2011, 06:38
Me too!! Looks great! Will it have a pilot?

yes, but will have the option of removing them, also note that adding the passenger will alter the flight dynamics slightly do to additional weight.

kilo delta
April 3rd, 2011, 07:19
The more RV's in FSX...the better! :d

TomSteber
April 3rd, 2011, 07:41
:applause::applause::applause::applause:

hews500d
April 3rd, 2011, 08:22
Cool! An RV-7 AND RV-8. I feel like a kid at Christmas :jump::jump::jump:

Darrell

Cag40Navy
April 3rd, 2011, 08:34
Oh yea! Sweet stuff Deano!!

Kiwikat
April 3rd, 2011, 08:53
I was NOT expecting that.

Wherever you are old friend, I thank you! :wavey: :ernae: :salute:

(You guys are in for a real treat with this one!)

Rezabrya
April 3rd, 2011, 09:33
Nice to see this thing closer to the light of day! It really is something special.

Meshman
April 3rd, 2011, 09:38
Just yesterday I got an invite to ride in a real RV8! Too bad it's 2,400 miles from the house...

Looks like it'll be a cool plane!

P.S. What's the scenery in the background?

fliger747
April 3rd, 2011, 10:29
A friend who has a place on an airstrip in Oregon has a neighbor who works for Vans and flies one to work every day. Apparently quite a fast plane!

Cheers. T

TomSteber
April 3rd, 2011, 10:39
My oldest brother got a ride in an RV-7. Yes, he said it was fast. Very quick trips in that thing.

Deano
April 3rd, 2011, 10:46

http://www.flightsimstore.com/product_info.php?products_id=1311

kilo delta
April 3rd, 2011, 11:52
My oldest brother got a ride in an RV-7. Yes, he said it was fast. Very quick trips in that thing.

200mph iirc.

And reasonably aerobatic too.

wconkle
April 3rd, 2011, 16:51
Just tell me where to aim my credit card so I can pull the trigger on this one. What a pleasant surprise!

hews500d
April 3rd, 2011, 20:26
thought everyone might enjoy this video of an Rv-8 landing. Watch with a good pair of headphones and turn it up !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ut_BXBiwqE

Darrell

rvn817j
April 4th, 2011, 04:56
Just yesterday I got an invite to ride in a real RV8! Too bad it's 2,400 miles from the house...

Looks like it'll be a cool plane!

West Virginia is only about 40 miles from where I am. You are the West Virginia Meshman aren't you? Are you not in West Virginia? (You must be somewhere out west!) Regards

rvn817j
April 4th, 2011, 04:57
Expedite. Thanks.

rvn817j
April 4th, 2011, 05:01
200mph iirc.

And reasonably aerobatic too.

+6 / -3 G capable...we call that fully aerobatic. Because all RV-8s are 'custom' built aircraft, each aircraft is slightly different. I would say 200 mph is an average top speed, some are faster (by 40 or 50 mph) and a few (with less than 180 hp engines) may be slower.

kilo delta
April 4th, 2011, 06:41
+6 / -3 G capable...we call that fully aerobatic. Because all RV-8s are 'custom' built aircraft, each aircraft is slightly different. I would say 200 mph is an average top speed, some are faster (by 40 or 50 mph) and a few (with less than 180 hp engines) may be slower.

I didn't realise that they could sustain those sort of G loads. Most of the RV's here are 7's, though I do know of an 8 that is being currently assembled :)

Ohh...and you might appreciate this video :) ..

http://www.vimeo.com/11623266

rvn817j
April 4th, 2011, 07:26
I didn't realise that they could sustain those sort of G loads. Most of the RV's here are 7's, though I do know of an 8 that is being currently assembled :)

kilo delta - I only pointed that out because of a high profile RV-8 accident when the aircraft was in its infancy (mid-1990s). A factory demonstrator was out doing aerobatics with a factory pilot and a passenger who was an ag pilot (if I recall correctly). The aircraft was involved in a crash that killed both occupants and it was discovered that the main wing spar had failed. Richard VanGrunsven ('The' Van in Van's Aircraft and the RV in RV-8), being the careful designer and engineer that he is, bought a customer built wing (from a Van's customer....duh) and subjected it to wing load testing. The ultimate failure of the wing occurred at +9 Gs and -6 Gs (150% of the rated wing loading). It is likely that the crash aircraft pulled in excess of the +9 / -6 G ultimate load in an improperly performed maneuver.

The RV-8 is fully acrobatic, but due to design considerations the manufacturer recommends that operators refrain from putting torsional stress on the wings by avoiding lumshevaks and snap rolls. Most other maneuvers performed by properly trained pilots are OK.

When you guys get your hands on the RV-8, fly carefully!

hews500d
April 4th, 2011, 07:53
kilo delta - I only pointed that out because of a high profile RV-8 accident when the aircraft was in its infancy (mid-1990s). A factory demonstrator was out doing aerobatics with a factory pilot and a passenger who was an ag pilot (if I recall correctly). The aircraft was involved in a crash that killed both occupants and it was discovered that the main wing spar had failed. Richard VanGrunsven ('The' Van in Van's Aircraft and the RV in RV-8), being the careful designer and engineer that he is, bought a customer built wing (from a Van's customer....duh) and subjected it to wing load testing. The ultimate failure of the wing occurred at +9 Gs and -6 Gs (150% of the rated wing loading). It is likely that the crash aircraft pulled in excess of the +9 / -6 G ultimate load in an improperly performed maneuver.

The RV-8 is fully acrobatic, but due to design considerations the manufacturer recommends that operators refrain from putting torsional stress on the wings by avoiding lumshevaks and snap rolls. Most other maneuvers performed by properly trained pilots are OK.

When you guys get your hands on the RV-8, fly carefully!

Jay, do the -8A's have a slightly longer nose in front of the windscreen as compared to the -8's? It looks like from photos I'm seeing of different configurations, the nose is somewhat longer. Of course, it might just be a perspective thing.

Darrell

rvn817j
April 4th, 2011, 08:18
Jay, do the -8A's have a slightly longer nose in front of the windscreen as compared to the -8's? It looks like from photos I'm seeing of different configurations, the nose is somewhat longer. Of course, it might just be a perspective thing.

Darrell

The fuselage, wings and empennage dimensions on -8s and -8As are all the same and come from 'similar' kits. You are likely seeing a perspective thing. With that said, however, each -8 and -8A is unique because they are each custom / home-built aircraft subject to modification by each builder (e.g., there are some Super -8s (and Super -6 / -7s) that have six (6) cylinder engines requiring an extension of the cowl and other modifications). Generally speaking, no two (2) Van's aircraft are the same, but they are all similar (and loved by their builders and/or operators as aircraft that give you great return for your modest $$ investment).

Edit - If you would like some dimensions, I can pull out my plans this evening and give them to you. All RV-8 builders have a construction manual of about 200 or so pages.

Meshman
April 4th, 2011, 08:26
West Virginia is only about 40 miles from where I am. You are the West Virginia Meshman aren't you? Are you not in West Virginia? (You must be somewhere out west!) Regards

Dat's me. But I'm in SoKali, soon (?) to be headed to NorKali.

Remember my days driving through WV. Seems I ALWAYS had a heavy load! Up the hill, down the hill, up the hill,...

hews500d
April 4th, 2011, 08:45
The fuselage, wings and empennage dimensions on -8s and -8As are all the same and come from 'similar' kits. You are likely seeing a perspective thing. With that said, however, each -8 and -8A is unique because they are each custom / home-built aircraft subject to modification by each builder (e.g., there are some Super -8s (and Super -6 / -7s) that have six (6) cylinder engines requiring an extension of the cowl and other modifications). Generally speaking, no two (2) Van's aircraft are the same, but they are all similar (and loved by their builders and/or operators as aircraft that give you great return for your modest $$ investment).

Edit - If you would like some dimensions, I can pull out my plans this evening and give them to you. All RV-8 builders have a construction manual of about 200 or so pages.

Thanks for the info! Don't worry about pulling your plans and getting dimensions. I'm already want one LOL !!! Just trying to convince "she who controls the $$" it's a good idea :)

Darrell