PDA

View Full Version : New Scenery Building Technique!

Francois
April 3rd, 2011, 00:48
Well, sort of, at least !
With the release of our latest in the Dolomiti X Series, we introduce a new way of presenting MOUNTAINS. More realistic than you've ever seen... even Orbx doesn't have this yet !!!:173go1:

So what's so special? The 'ragazzi' at Real Earth - mountain lovers and mountaineers themselves, like I am - are building mountains for FSX not as 'mesh' but as 3D MODELS!

Our first release are the Tre Cime (http://silvercloud-store.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=29823), or Drei Zinnen for German speakers, a famous landmark in the Italian Alps, attracting tens of thousands of people every year.

Basically the three mountain peaks (and other parts) is a HUGE 3D model, like a building, thus allowing the custom made photos being pasted on the exact form. This could never be achieved with a 'mesh mountain' where the textures will get deformed on the vertical slopes and which would really hurt performance (fps) as well!
The subsequent 'trick' of course is to place them in highly detailed terrain to make it look extremely realistic!
Of course there are some highly detailed buildings included too.... and the roads leading up to the landmark.

Soon we will also publish the Auronzo region, bordering the Tre Cime, in high detail (mesh, aerial
photo, custom autogen), in the same fashion as the already released Alpago region.

And for out next trick: the Matterhorn (Cervino) built with the same technique as the Tre Cime!

robcap
April 3rd, 2011, 00:57
Sounds good and looks great Francois!
And what about Alpago. The price is right!

roger-wilco-66
April 3rd, 2011, 00:59
Very impressive!

Cheers,
Mark

Francois
April 3rd, 2011, 01:13
Thanks guys! Yes, although it is a small scenery, it really FEELS awesome flying along those huge rocks and seeing them EXACTLY the way I remembered them ! Nina and I will be trying to visit them again this Summer, and some of the other areas we're publishing too.

Alpago is very nice too, and indeed, at only 10 Euros.... :-)

More news on the free airfield later today !

wiltzei
April 3rd, 2011, 01:50
Pontifical.

One can only imagine what people come up with in the future: SOH: IBM boffins create a 25nm rendering of the Matterhorn (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?35364-IBM-boffins-create-a-25nm-rendering-of-the-Matterhorn)

Paul K
April 3rd, 2011, 01:56
Looks great, Francois. Not quite a new technique as I believe Aerosoft's Lord Howe Island is a model rather than a mesh, but its definitely the way to go with specific geographical features such as small islands, and mountains. The texture improvements are very obvious.

Good stuff! :ernae:

Mithrin
April 3rd, 2011, 04:53
That looks massive! Very cool!

falcon409
April 3rd, 2011, 05:53
Looks great, Francois. Not quite a new technique as I believe Aerosoft's Lord Howe Island is a model rather than a mesh, but its definitely the way to go with specific geographical features such as small islands, and mountains. The texture improvements are very obvious.

Good stuff! :ernae:
Yes, I believe there was some freeware scenery for Africa several years ago where some of the prominent peaks were done as objects and then placed. Still in all the effect is quite stunning. . .nicely done Francoise.:salute:

Paul K
April 3rd, 2011, 07:06
. .nicely done Francoise.:salute:

Ya might want to drop the E on the end, matey. Francois is male. :icon_lol:

Francois
April 3rd, 2011, 11:11
LOL.. I hope I am !

Francois
April 4th, 2011, 11:20
Hmmm, just dawned to me that I maybe should have given the thread another title to get it lodged in the Products Sticky Area ? :icon_lol::icon_lol:

Dave Torkington
April 4th, 2011, 11:56
Hmmm, just dawned to me that I maybe should have given the thread another title to get it lodged in the Products Sticky Area ? :icon_lol::icon_lol:

Certainly deserves to be there IMHO. Very nice work indeed Francois - thanks to you and your team for a great product :salute:

Francois
April 4th, 2011, 12:14
Thanks Dave :-)

warchild
April 4th, 2011, 16:40
your wish is my command :)

Flyboy208
April 4th, 2011, 20:09
Absolutely stunning work Francois ! Mike :ernae:

Dave Torkington
April 4th, 2011, 22:56
Thanks Dave :-)

My pleasure :salute: Made a noisy flyby yesterday in the Dino Cattaneo F-14. Hope I didn't scare too many of the coach parties that were visiting!

Wing_Z
April 5th, 2011, 02:10
Please, please...sell this to Aerosoft so they can fix their dreadful Rock of Gibraltar!

Francois
April 6th, 2011, 14:50
Heheh...... The Matterhorn is coming soon, and we're thinking of a combo-package for the two formations.....

Roger
April 6th, 2011, 15:02
Heheh...... The Matterhorn is coming soon, and we're thinking of a combo-package for the two formations.....

Wow!

ericts
April 6th, 2011, 15:26
I would love to see Mt. Hood rendered this way. Absolutely spectacular!

dvj
April 8th, 2011, 15:15
Was not the Matterhorn already released as freeware from the same people? I downloaded it about 6 months ago. Or is this a totally different model?

Francois
April 9th, 2011, 08:16
Hi DVJ, yes different model. That freeware Matterhorn is still made the 'old' way, based on terrain mesh. The one we're working on now will be a 3D model, like the Tre Cime ;-)