PDA

View Full Version : I hate pirates

OBIO
April 2nd, 2011, 08:54
I was just over at a sim library site....won't say which one...looking for new planes and came across a package for the XXXXXXXXXXXX, a plane I have been wanting for a long time. I thought to myself...Hey, someone did the XXXXXXXXXX as a freeware. I down loaded the package, opened it and found that the XXXXXXXXXX was not a new freeware package, it was the still payware Alphasim/Virtavia one.

So, I fired an e-mail to Virtavia letting them know and used Eraser to totally erase the package from my HD. As tempting as it was to fire the plane up just one time to take a look at the XXXXXXXX, I won't support piracy this way.

OBIO

Willy
April 2nd, 2011, 08:57
Yep, the scum sucking bottom dwellers are out there.

fsafranek
April 2nd, 2011, 09:28
Thank you!
:ernae:

stansdds
April 2nd, 2011, 10:37
If software piracy were reported more often than supported, it would become a very minor issue. Sadly, there are too many people out there that feel entitled to use someone's work free of charge.

About a month ago I received an email from someone claiming to be selling Windows 7 at a deep discount. The only caveat was that any copy purchased could not be registered with MS. I forwarded the email to MS.

rpjkw
April 2nd, 2011, 11:51
Years ago the same thing happened to me, but I kept the plane with the idea that if I really liked, I'd buy it; if not, I'd simply erase. The whole thing left a nasty taste in my mouth and back fired. I flew it a couple of times and liked the plane, but I couldn't enjoy it, not even as a trial. So I erased it and BOUGHT it, loved it, but never flew it because it reminded me of when I stole it. I learned that I can only enjoy the hobby, BE A PART of it, if I play by the rules and do what's right. The episode also turned my off of flight simming for about six months. Man, I don't ever want to feel like a piece of possum poop ever again.

Bob

Wittpilot
April 2nd, 2011, 19:28
Hey Obio,
Did you check and see if it was a model that Alphasim had released as 'freeware'? They have released several of their planes as freeware... I noticed one of thse re-uploaded this weekend at one of the hosting sites, maybe the one you are talking about????

-witt

fsafranek
April 2nd, 2011, 20:17
Thanks again for the heads up OBIO. I've contacted the website and the file
has been removed. They were very cooperative. The file had been uploaded
to their server much like anyone can do at avsim, flightsim, simviation, SOH, etc.
:ernae:

OBIO
April 2nd, 2011, 20:53
Witt

I check the Alpha/Virtavia freeware page daily.....and I mean DAILY...and this package is not on the page. It has not been released as freeware. If it had been, I would have already had it installed and crashed it about a thousand times.

Tim

Meshman
April 3rd, 2011, 14:30
BUUMMMPPPP!!!!!

Gosh, just went to check on one of those "forum" sites and see an unable to connect message. Go and check the registration for the old site name and it's not active and getting ready to be parked.

Wonder what happen to The Boss, Sarge and a whole bunch of other names he's used around the different forums?

If I may single out Avsim for banning his sorry rear-end TWICE after being advised of his presence. That's more than "The World's #1 Flight Simulation..." did, along with a prominent payware airport maker who let him be. I guess a dirty sale is better than no sale?

I'm sure Bob will surface some place, some time. Or maybe he's found a better, clearer path to follow?

From what I can recall, he's banned from SOH also. But that doesn't mean he wouldn't try to slither back in.