View Full Version : Dusso

Nausicaa
December 4th, 2008, 08:58
my favorite matte painter, Dusso.
www.dusso.com (http://www.dusso.com)

http://www.dusso.com/pages/EP3/cjc.4.jpg

MCDesigns
December 4th, 2008, 09:06
Wow, freakin impressive to say the least!

Nausicaa
December 4th, 2008, 09:43
This is a painting for Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith.

lifejogger
December 4th, 2008, 13:17
I have seen his work before and it is darn good.

Lionheart
December 4th, 2008, 14:53
<--- gets glassy eyed, goes catatonic, slowly, slowly leaning over.. kerplop... hits floor..

That is some amazing artwork. Looks like Koriscant

Do you know how big the original canvas is? Looks like one of those 20 feet wide paintings.

Man, I'd love to have a wall to hang that on. Make it look like a giant window.

Bill

Ferry_vO
December 4th, 2008, 15:09
Do you know how big the original canvas is? Looks like one of those 20 feet wide paintings.

Says somewhere in the middle that it's 25000 x 2914 pixels....

Looks awesome! :applause:

Nausicaa
December 4th, 2008, 15:42
<--- gets glassy eyed, goes catatonic, slowly, slowly leaning over.. kerplop... hits floor..

That is some amazing artwork. Looks like Koriscant

Man, I'd love to have a wall to hang that on. Make it look like a giant window.

Bill

Because it is Coruscant. This is a 360 degree painting, ment to provide a background for the windows looking out of the Jedi temple. You can see it in the movie btw :applause:
It's often cheaper and easier to make paintings instead of building decors, or constructing them in 3D. This is a very old movie trick.

PeteHam
December 4th, 2008, 18:14
Absolutely stunning. :applause:

I love the cloud build up .... looks so realistic.

Pete.

Lionheart
December 5th, 2008, 19:54
Could you imagine this being a thing you hang on the wall, and it has a built in lighting system, and shows morning, noon, evening, and night, lights and all, and has vehicles slowing moving accross the sky as well....

Man...

Bill

FengZ
December 6th, 2008, 03:03
ILM actually had some of these paintings printed out for the EP3 wrap party. They were huge and wrapped around walls through out the party.

It's pretty amazing to watch him work as well. Btw, he's also a pilot. Some of those Naboo plates were shots of Marine County (where the old ILM studio was). It's really a magical place up there.

-feng

Nausicaa
December 6th, 2008, 03:08
Are you working in the industry ? I know there is a guy named Feng who is pretty well known there.

Nausicaa
December 6th, 2008, 03:10
Oh man, you are indeed Feng Zhu....just saw your website. Amazing, didn't know you were a member here. You must know my old mate Christian Scheurer. :ernae:

FengZ
December 6th, 2008, 03:26
Yup, the same Feng :)

I'm addicted to real world and sim flying; and SOH is the perfect home to serve both needs!

Yup, i know Christian S. very well. I used to go to his house to get him to teach me his matte painting skillz. Very talented and super super nice guy.

Our industry is actually very tiny. It's the same 20-30 guys doing everything in major films/games.

I miss my days at Skywalker Ranch tho. Somehow, that place just brings back such great memories. I grew up with Star Wars and to be working in the exact studio were it was created is an amazing experience.

-feng

Nausicaa
December 6th, 2008, 03:36
Chris and I went to the same Art School in Brussels. :mixedsmi:
I went to his house too, but it was then a one room appartment where we would have a sandwich lunch break, a hundred yards from school :icon_lol:
Remember also the day he decided to leave to the states, not long after the lightning incident. He sure made his way there.
I am working in the european movie industry, have been concept designer and art director on several feature films.
Great to see you here! It's indeed a small world....even smaller thanks to the internet !
:ernae:

Toastmaker
December 6th, 2008, 05:04
You artistic geniuses who make movies so spectacular really provide a considerable service to the movie-watching public.

You spark our imaginations with fantastic and long-remembered visions that are entertaining, amazing and emotional. Personally, I'm often more delighted by the graphics and artwork in certain films than the performance of the actors !

Thanks for your talent and hard work !!

:applause:

cheezyflier
December 6th, 2008, 06:21
Personally, I'm often more delighted by the graphics and artwork in certain films than the performance of the actors !

although i have a fondness for good writers and directors, i totally agree with you. i have always felt the actor was the smallest ingredient of a good movie.

FengZ
December 6th, 2008, 07:24
Story, execution, design, sound, fx, actors, etc are all very important. There's a magic that happens when all of them are mixed together at just the right amount. When this happens, classic films are born.

My favorite film of all time is Bladerunner.

And thanks Toastmaker. It's a very fun job at times. :)

Btw Nausicaa (http://sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/member.php?u=71527), which films have you worked on over in Europe? Do you do work for Double Negative by any chance? I love some of the films coming out of Europe. They tend to break the hollywood "formula" which is a good thing.

-feng