PDA

View Full Version : Cliffs of Dover released

IanHenry
March 30th, 2011, 09:49
I know this is probably the most appropriate place for this, but I think some people may be interested to know that Cliffs of Dover has been released over at JustFlight. It’s going to take me 8 hours to download it though!
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>
Regards,
Ian.

spotlope
March 30th, 2011, 10:52
I know this is probably the most appropriate place for this, but I think some people may be interested to know that Cliffs of Dover has been released over at JustFlight. It’s going to take me 8 hours to download it though!
<!--?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /--><o:p></o:p>
Regards,
Ian.

Very cool. Thanks for the heads-up, Ian!

Phantom88
March 30th, 2011, 11:48
Yeah,It's been a VERY LONG time in the making,I've seen some vidss,Looks like groundbreaking stuff! Hopefully They got those"Filter" issues straightened out for International release.

SkippyBing
March 30th, 2011, 12:06
Does anyone know what the flyable aircraft are in this? I've been trying to find out but apart from references to 12 flyable aircraft and 'Spitfire, ME 109 and Stuka' (like obviously!) I haven't found any more detail.
Please tell me they aren't counting multiple variants of aircraft as more than one flyable aircraft?

W. Bleddyn
March 30th, 2011, 12:15
I noticed that even if you have purchased it through Just Flight that it is still required to use Steam. So will you actually be able to play it now? Steam says it will not unlock for 2 weeks, 5 days, 21 hrs at the time of this posting.

popsaka
March 30th, 2011, 13:59
...So if you're not online, DON'T buy it...(?) I paid for IL2 46 just to have it require a web connection when in fact, I didn't have one...(!) and now, they want to force that Steam on you?...
...seems a bit bl**dy conniving to me :a1451::banghead:

...or as Mr. Horse said: ''Nope, I don?t like it.''

tracyq144
March 30th, 2011, 14:11
I got epilepsy from this sim.

It hurts me.

Javis
March 30th, 2011, 14:37
Thanks for the tip, Ian ! Downloading now via Steam. It said download time is 50 minutes but i am at 70% already after a couple minutes. I do have a pretty fast internet connection...

I had my reservations for this Steam thing too but after using it for about a year now ( mostly Railworks2 ) i think it's the best thing since sliced bread. Super fast and never a problem.

90% now. I'll report back once i checked out the Spitfire AND the White Cliffs of Dover... :cool:

Cheers,
Jan

Gdavis101
March 30th, 2011, 14:50
Almost there!

spotlope
March 30th, 2011, 15:35
I'm really interested to hear some initial impressions once it's running. Does it run well on your FSX rig? Is it as immersive as it looks? What about those notoriously twitchy snap-roll dynamics that Oleg seems to have been so fond of in the past?

Inquiring minds want to know. I'll bet a lot of the lads here are interested as well.

W. Bleddyn
March 30th, 2011, 16:40
FYI for people faced with a long download from Just Flight...

1) Start up steam and go to the Library page.
2) Bottom left, click on +Add a game. Select "Activate a product on Steam"
3) Enter the key that Just Flight sent in the email.
4) Game is now activated and downloads at a much, much faster rate then I was getting with the Just Flight downloader. (averaging 1.1 mbs and on Just Flight I was getting about 160 kbs)

Also, this is working for me in Canada where the actual release is not supposed to be for almost 3 weeks. Still skeptical it will let me play when downloaded, but hopeful :)

** Edit - well it does work :) If you are in North America, have not purchased it yet and don't want to wait, Just Flight is the way to go.

Javis
March 30th, 2011, 19:35
Well, my (very) first impression : some really good, some really bad. Extremely amazing cockpits (!) which are accompanied by THE most terrible engine sounds i've ever heard in a sim. Makes me feel like driving a lawn mower at best. Unbelievable really.. :confused:

Lots of stuttering going on while flying low over medium/dense scenery, which, to me, looks a bit cartoonish. Water looks very nice. White Cliffs of Dover too ! :cool:

Flyable external models/textures are the beez kneez too. Extremely realistic specular on canopy/cockpit glass. Britain : Spit I, Ia, IIa, Hurri, Blenheim and Tigermoth. Germany: Bf109,110, He111, Ju87,88. Italy: Br.20,G50.

I believe for the first time Oleg's amazing cockpits are clickable now be it only minimal.

I am hoping something will turn up to reduce the stuttering ( still trying various settings/resolutions ) but we're probabely stuck with these tremendous awful engine sounds which are an abomination compared to the superb cockpits and external models.

Tested on Alienware Area 51ALX, i7-980x, GF GTX480, 12GB 1600Mhz Tri Channel Mem, W7 Pro 64.

cheers,
jan

SADT
March 30th, 2011, 20:12
It still says pre-order for me at JF. I live in NZ. How big is the D/L?

Cheers,
Craig :-)

Gdavis101
March 30th, 2011, 21:26
Man, stuttering with an I7? Okay, I don't feel like I need to buy a new computer now.. I am running on a E8500 dual core at the 1280 resolution with most of my settings on low-medium and AA at 8.. I hope something can be done with the way the scenery objects appear, that seems to be the biggest effect with stuttering when flying over the towns.. Otherwise its pretty fluid for me..

Cirrus N210MS
March 31st, 2011, 06:46
my download link on direct n drive is still saying pre order looks like just flight jumped the gun

:jump: and put it out early ahead of the do date which as april 26th last time i checked

W. Bleddyn
March 31st, 2011, 08:30
Just Flight is (I believe) a UK based company and the game is released in UK and Australia. No gun jumping at all ;)

What is surprising is that people who live in regions where it is not released can buy it through them and activate it.

bushpilot
April 1st, 2011, 12:53
Okay I got this because I loved the earlier IL-2 titles and haven't touched any kind of sim in over eight months. But... everything about this looks like a rushed release. I think the main reason for bad performance is that multicore support is "broken" (developers even admitted this themselves), so it does not matter if you have i7 or whatever.

Maybe they were having financial problems, and to continue the development this was the way they choose to gain some funding, releasing it unfinished... who knows. Anyway it needs huge pile of patches to be playable, and maybe two more years of developing.

Well back to playing some other stuff then...:salute:

stansdds
April 2nd, 2011, 10:24
I expect UbiSoft did push it out the door before everything was fixed and finished. After years of development, I'm sure they want to see some return on their financial investment into this sim.

stiz
April 2nd, 2011, 11:56
mind you ... first announced nearly 7yrs ago .... you'd have thought in that time they coulda been able to at least make it run smooth and support more than 4 gigs of ram !:monkies:

stansdds
April 2nd, 2011, 17:41
Yeah, you would have thought so. I guess they were too busy making incredibly well detailed models of ground vehicles, grass, trees, and buildings to be troubled with making a smooth running combat flight simulator. Oh, well, there's always the modded versions of Il-2 to keep me happy when I want to shoot something down or blow something up.

bushpilot
April 3rd, 2011, 03:35
I'm keeping my hopes up that these problems will be fixed. It seems that developers are taking the feedback seriously, which is nice. We'll wait and see...

gradyhappyg
April 3rd, 2011, 07:37
Well I am not having problem getting it to run. I do have other issues however, controls just stop working in the middle of a flight, the sound is just awful as are the gun effects,the mouse clickable VC is hard to use because the mouse pointer is all over the place, the aileron trim doesn't seem to work, very hard to keep your wings level,controls take forever to set up, just to name a few that I have found. Guess it goes in the not used pile till the patches come out. Back to Pacific Fighters,CFS3 and ROF untill then. Too bad because the modeling is great the water is nice and sun effcts are good too. Patience is a virtue Patience is a virtue Patience is a virtue.

ShockandAwe
April 7th, 2011, 05:42
mind you ... first announced nearly 7yrs ago .... you'd have thought in that time they coulda been able to at least make it run smooth and support more than 4 gigs of ram !:monkies:

I'm a bit confused. Is this BOB SOW? BOB SOW was announced years ago. It looks like this is IL-2 but in BOB. I figured they were just sitting on BOB SOW until computers got faster so it wouldn't look like such a dog. They put this sim in as a stop-gap so they wouldn't run out of money while waiting.

stansdds
April 8th, 2011, 02:01
I'm a bit confused. Is this BOB SOW? BOB SOW was announced years ago. It looks like this is IL-2 but in BOB. I figured they were just sitting on BOB SOW until computers got faster so it wouldn't look like such a dog. They put this sim in as a stop-gap so they wouldn't run out of money while waiting.
Yes, Il-2: Cliffs of Dover is Storm of War: Battle of Britain. The name change is reportedly a marketing decision by UbiSoft.

GT182
April 9th, 2011, 17:11
Yes, Il-2: Cliffs of Dover is Storm of War: Battle of Britain. The name change is reportedly a marketing decision by UbiSoft.

And UBI has made some pretty lame marketing decisions lately. SH5 was the latest one before CoD.

dmaloof
April 10th, 2011, 10:22
I am having probs getting it to work. i can get to the menu screens and navigate but when i clcik fly, I get no video. I got latest nvidia drivers and put options settings to low. i know it says 512 vid card but can it run with 128 somehow. i am cash strapped. thx.

pc specs:
os vISTA SP2 32-BIT
1Tb HARD DRIVE EXTERNAL
Intel core 2 duo cpu e4500 2.20ghz,2.20ghz
128 mb nvidia geforce 8300 GS vid card

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01164511&tmp_track_link=ot_faqs/top_issues/en_us/c01164511/loc:2&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&site=null&lang=en&product=3552345&key=null

stansdds
April 11th, 2011, 02:00
The minimum system requirements call for a 512 MB Nv8800 or Nv9800 card and that is the bare minimum. The 8300GS was not really a gaming/simming card to begin with, I doubt there is any way of making Il2:CoD run on it.

dmaloof
April 24th, 2011, 05:05
Hi, been doing some searches and my power supply needs updating in order for this vid card to work. I hjave never changed a power supply before. This is what I am thinking of gettinng: can you tell me if this PS will work on the puter?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371016
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814162062

stansdds
April 24th, 2011, 17:10
A 550 watt PSU is still pretty marginal these days, I'd say 650 to 750 watts is a better solution, allows more options with video cards and over clocking or upgrading your CPU and RAM. The GTS 450 is not a great card. It's "ok", but a GTX 460 is far better.

Cliffs of Dover system requirements:

OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows® 7 / Vista SP2 / Windows XP SP3
PROCESSOR: Pentium® Dual-Core 2.0GHz or Athlon™ X2 3800+ (Intel Core i5 2.66GHz or AMD Phenom II X4 2.6GHz recommended)
RAM: 2GB (4GB recommended)
VIDEO CARD: DirectX® 9.0c compliant, 512Mb Video Card (1GB DirectX® 10 recommended) - See supported List*
DIRECT X®: DirectX® 9.0c or DirectX® 10 (included on disc)
DVD-ROM DRIVE: 8X
SOUND CARD: DirectX 9.0c compatible
HARD DISK: 10GB
PERIPHERALS: Mouse, keyboard (joystick with throttle and rudder control recommended)
MULTIPLAY: Broadband connection with 128 kbps upstream or faster

*SUPPORTED VIDEO CARDS AT TIME OF RELEASE:
ATI® 4850/4870/5830/5850/5770/5870/6870/6950/6970
NVidia®: 8800/9800/250/260/275/285/460/465/470/480

dmaloof
April 25th, 2011, 23:50
Hi, tans. Thks fr getting back to me. i will probably do as you say but I have question. i never changed the power supply before on this pc, If i get the 700w, will it work with this HP pc? My specs are above in the thread, but will I have to upgrade anything else if i get this power supply? Can i juts gethe the ps and the vid card you mention and it will work or do I need to chaneg anything else? pleas let me know. Thx. I just wanna make sure its just those 2 parts as i am on a limited budget.

Dsawan

stansdds
April 26th, 2011, 02:03
HP has been known to use power supplies and motherboards specially made for them. You need to be sure that another power supply will physically fit the space, mounting holes line up correctly and that it has power connections that will fit your motherboard.

redriver6
April 26th, 2011, 06:13
HP has been known to use power supplies and motherboards specially made for them. You need to be sure that another power supply will physically fit the space, mounting holes line up correctly and that it has power connections that will fit your motherboard.

yep...i have a hp/compac and put a 550w ps in it...but it just barely fit...

i'm having launcher crashes purty regular with CoD since the last patch...i'm just about through messin with it until i can completely upgrade.

NWarty
April 27th, 2011, 13:37
I purchased CloD this past weekend from justflight.

Incredibly disappointed doesn't even begin to describe my feelings about this game. It's going to take some monumental work on 1C/Ilya's part to get this game to being a well-rounded and PLAYABLE sim.

Anyways, I just purchased ROF:ICE today, so I'm going to give that one a chance while CloD collects dust waiting on a patch.

IanHenry
April 28th, 2011, 08:52
I purchased CloD this past weekend from justflight.

Incredibly disappointed doesn't even begin to describe my feelings about this game. It's going to take some monumental work on 1C/Ilya's part to get this game to being a well-rounded and PLAYABLE sim.

Anyways, I just purchased ROF:ICE today, so I'm going to give that one a chance while CloD collects dust waiting on a patch.
Well, I don't want to say "I told you so". It is now a lot better than when it was first released, so that gives you an indication of how bad it was!

Ian.