PDA

View Full Version : New Old Simmer

archangel1
March 29th, 2011, 22:44
Greetings from the Big Smoke!

I've been flight simming for several years now (I actually go back to FS2!) but I had to uninstall FS9 last year because I was running out of disc space. Since my system was about 9 years old at the time and getting senile, it wasn't worth the effort of simply buying another HD. I regained about 75GB of space (over 500,000 files!) when I did, though.

I'm taking early retirement at the end of April (after 40 years in the same job) and figure it's time to get back to flying. So, the big priority is a new computer with lots of juice so I can install FSX, which I wasn't really able to run on my old system so I didn't even try, and reinstall FS9, since I have too much money invested in payware to simply abandon it. Add to that a dozen or so other heavy sims (flight, naval, military and railroad) plus some strategy and FPS games, a stack of DVD's about 3' high and enough hobby-related stuff (models and miniatures) for 3 lifetimes and I figure I'll have plenty to keep me from getting bored!

I like the bush planes so ORBX's PNW and PF are a given. I've already got several FSX payware birds to play with but I've also got a large wishlist of stuff for future purchase. I have several of the heavies to work with as well, including Wilco's 737 PIC (my favourite airliner) and Just Flight's Constellation Professional and, just to strain my muscles, FSD's Turbine Toucan. Should prove to be an interesting learning curve but at least I'll be able to devote the time needed to actually learn to fly some of these a/c properly.

And, just for the record, my favourite flyer when I was using FS9 was Milton Shupe's gorgeous Spartan Executive. Can't wait to try it out again in FSX!

Cheers,
Mike