PDA

View Full Version : zero visibility landing??????

limjack
March 27th, 2011, 09:11
As I woke this morning, my brain goo released a question that I have to post here.

Now that we have gps, ils and other tools to lead us to the runway on zero visibility days. Is it possible to incorperate a graphical approach screen in the cockpit that would render the runway so you can see it as you approach without any fog or cloud cover?

Jim

Matt Wynn
March 27th, 2011, 09:50
if i recall the Space shuttles have an in-HUD display that shows the runway, part of the Microwave landing system if i recall... shows an outline of the runway... can be seen in the in-HUD camera views, at 1:07 in this video...

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/py7E9fIase4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Cazzie
March 27th, 2011, 13:42
That was cool Smoothie.

Cazzie
March 27th, 2011, 13:44
Edit: meant to start new post.

mfitch
March 27th, 2011, 21:18
This is called Synthetic Vision. Garmin's G1000 among others includes this feature. It is not used to fly to the runway, but it is nice even in VFR flight.

limjack
March 28th, 2011, 06:55
Interesting stuff with a "WOW" factor to it. So it won't be to long before this is standard in all aircraft as long as FPS hit is not too much. Wouldn't want my fps to go down to 7 landing at KSEA. Thanks for the info on this, it is fascinating.

Jim

TeaSea
March 28th, 2011, 15:48
Cool technology....but here's where we get you:

FAR 91.175.c "No pilot may operate an aircraft, except a military aircraft of the united States, below the authorized MDA or continue an approach below the authorized DA/DH (Decision Altitude/Decision Height) unless --

(2) The flight visibility is not less than the visibility prescribed in the standard instrument approach being used"

Further:

FAR 91.175.d "No pilot operating an aircraft, except a military aricraft fo the United States, may land that aircraft when --

(2) ... the flight visibility is less than the visibility prescribed in the standard instrument approach procedure being used."

So, cool technology, lots of good safety stuff, but sorry, no landing's!! :jump:

Bone
March 28th, 2011, 16:26
Cool technology....but here's where we get you:

FAR 91.175.c "No pilot may operate an aircraft, except a military aircraft of the united States, below the authorized MDA or continue an approach below the authorized DA/DH (Decision Altitude/Decision Height) unless --

(2) The flight visibility is not less than the visibility prescribed in the standard instrument approach being used"

Further:

FAR 91.175.d "No pilot operating an aircraft, except a military aricraft fo the United States, may land that aircraft when --

(2) ... the flight visibility is less than the visibility prescribed in the standard instrument approach procedure being used."

So, cool technology, lots of good safety stuff, but sorry, no landing's!! :jump:

Yes, the FAA isn't going to sign off on zero/zero landings anytime soon. However, under the emergency PIC authority guidelines of FAR 91.3, you could do it in an "oh sh*t" situation...given that you have the onboard equipment to do it with a reasonable safe outcome, and you had no other course of action that you could take to get on the ground safely.

I have done alot of visual approach's with the GPS Lateral and Vertical functions (LNAV/VNAV) of my planes onboard equipment set up for that runway, just to see how well it would get me on the ground if need be. The lat and vert guidance will take you to the landing threshold if you have it set up correctly.

I hope I NEVER have to do it, but I know that I can in an "oh sh*t" situation with hair on it.