PDA

View Full Version : GMT Vs Zulu

Johnny
December 3rd, 2008, 23:29
~S~ smilo,

GMT is a used is a Civil time, but Zulu is used in the aviation, weather and military fields. It is the same time, so I guess it is a moot point, but we fly and play soldiers so I think we should consider using the term. The big difference is when it is 1500 hrs in England, it is 1500 hrs in California. It is 0827 here and I have to go back to my cell now. Write more when the let us out to play.

j:isadizzy::costumes::mixedsmi::cost1::friday:

smilo
December 4th, 2008, 17:05
sorry, but I am of the opinion that it is confusing enough without adding another layer of :bs:

(thanks, I've been waiting for an opportunity to use that one.)

I intend on leaving Zulu time to the real aviators and military types.
most of us civilians have enough trouble dealing with world wide time zones and the daylight savings time changes really throw a monkey wrench in the works.
I can see it now, "hey guys, we're flying at 11:30 zulu"...and then we have 10 guys from 6 time zones flying in pairs or alone at 11:30 where ever they are.
but that's just my opinion.

Ivan
December 4th, 2008, 17:40
Hello Johnny, Smilo,

I am in agreement with Smilo on this one. There is nothing special about the timezone called Zulu. It just happens to be the International Phonetic Alphabet for the letter "Z". Yes, there are 26 time zones around the world or is it 25 with one duplicated? Around the International Date Line or out in the middle of the Pacific ocean, there are a couple really small time zone.

When I worked in Japan, we were using India time. Where I sit now, I believe I am in TZ Romeo for R.

The International Phonetic Alphabet is now used to label time zones, but I am not certain that this was the case back in WW2 during the time of CFS.

- Ivan.

hubbabubba
December 5th, 2008, 04:57
Under the Baker Able Charlie phonetic code - generally used by Allied with some modifications between Americans, British, and branches of services therein - ZEBRA was the phonetic call for the letter Z.

If anyone knows more about time keeping in WAR zones during WWII, I would like to hear more. A short search with google only gave me Daylight Saving Time snippets. What would be interesting to know is what time zone(s) were used in ETO, NATO and, most certainly, in PTO.:isadizzy:

Johnny
December 5th, 2008, 07:05
~S~ Hubbabubba,

Are you trying to set the time on your Jeep's PTO? :costumes:

j

Ivan
December 5th, 2008, 11:37
Hello Hubbabubba,

That was the point I was trying to make. I don't know that the International Phonetic Alphabet (currently in use) was the standard back in WW2. I suspect that it was not, but don't care enough about the subject to research it.

I think the map at the link below confirms that I am in TZ Romeo.
http://aa.usno.navy.mil/graphics/TimeZoneMap0802.jpg

- Ivan.

Johnny
December 5th, 2008, 12:06
~S~ All,

"The father of standardized time was a Canadian railway engineer. In 1878, Sir Sandford Fleming (1827–1915) developed the system of worldwide time zones that we still use today. He proposed that the world be divided into 24 time zones, each spaced 15º (fifteen degrees) of longitude apart (like 24 sections of an orange). He came to this idea because Earth completes a rotation every 24 hours and there are 360º of longitude, so each hour Earth rotates 1/24th of a circle or 15º."

j.

Ivan
December 5th, 2008, 13:52
Hello Johnny,

For the most part, that is pretty much how the timezones are divided. The problem comes when that boundary crosses a small area that is not politically or socially divided. How would you feel if you found that the timezone you were in was different from that of your neighbor across the street. Or perhaps the timezones were different between islands that were only a few miles apart. I believe that is how just about all the wacky borders came about.

Look at the map at the link I posted. Pay special attention to the regions around the International Date line and the islands around micronesia

- Ivan.

Johnny
December 5th, 2008, 14:54
~S~ Ivan,

I have a friend in Australia and he said his time was a half hour different from the next time zone. I have no reason to doubt him, but it does sound strange.

As for across the street, when I was stationed at Ft. Benning, Georga, Phenix City, Alabama was just across the river and it was on Eastern Time, but the rest of Alabama was on Central Time. Now, I think it is part of the city of Columbus.

Boudreaux was delivering a load of shrimp in Atlanta and his old truck broke down. It was towed to a shop and he was told it would take two weeks to get the part and put it in. He was then taken to the airport and he went to the Delta ticket counter. He asked about the next flight to New Orleans. The lady said it was leaving at 1:00 pm. Boudreaux wanted to call Thibodaux and have him pick him up at the airport in New Orleans, so he asked what time the flight arrived. The lady said 12:50 pm. Boudreaux looked at the lady and asked the departure time and the arrival time again. Then asked her the gate number for the flight. The lady said Gate 3A concourse G, do you want the ticket? No said Boudreaux, I just want to see it take off.

j

Ivan
December 5th, 2008, 19:18
Hello Johnny,

That half hour thing is probably why there are 25 or 26 timezones instead of 24.

- Ivan.

Johnny
December 5th, 2008, 20:20
~S~ Ivan,

I counted 26 on your time map, but if I had not seen it, I would not have thought it. 24 hours in a day, 24,000 miles around at the Equator and the Earth spinning at 1,000 MPH.

Ipso Facto,

Johnnyo:costumes:

Ivan
December 6th, 2008, 18:30
Hello Johnny,

Just to be a little nit picky, the circumference is more like 24,900 miles. Also, I count only 25 timezones, not 26. I think there is some special treatment for timezone Juliet, but can't remember the specifics. Perhaps TZ Juliet is local TZ?

- Ivan.

Johnny
December 6th, 2008, 20:03
Hi Ivan,

You are right and I was not. When I was a kid it was only 24K miles and now it is 24,901.55 miles. I should have checked, before I posted. Also when I was in school there were 26 letters in the alphabet. I see they left out the "J", but added 12 subsections making 37 Time Zones. I liked it better when I was a kid and only had to worry about was getting a nickle for a cola.

Happy Holidays,

j:friday::friday::friday::friday::friday: