PDA

View Full Version : Give Them He!l Wendell!

EasyEd
March 26th, 2011, 12:28
Hey All,

Just watched an hour long special on Wendell. First and foremost a great man. He deserved so much more but then again maybe it is simply the destiny of many to be the unsung heros who through their toils and suffering make America and in this case NASCAR so great.

An edit: The title to this thread is a direct quote from the tv special.

In direct contrast I'll reserve judgement on "The Fab Five" documentary until I see it but suffice to say I remember with great fondness that Championship game against Duke - who I cheer for year in and year out.

-Ed-

Cazzie
March 27th, 2011, 05:14
Hey All,

Just watched an hour long special on Wendell. First and foremost a great man. He deserved so much more but then again maybe it is simply the destiny of many to be the unsung heros who through their toils and suffering make America and in this case NASCAR so great.

An edit: The title to this thread is a direct quote from the tv special.

In direct contrast I'll reserve judgement on "The Fab Five" documentary until I see it but suffice to say I remember with great fondness that Championship game against Duke - who I cheer for year in and year out.

-Ed-

Wasn't that great Ed. I saw it when ESPN premiered it. My dad and Wendell were very good friends, my father fabricated metal for Wendell in the early days and later too. As a note, they both left this earth on the same day, December 23,, 1990.

Panther_99FS
March 27th, 2011, 07:36
Not sure if you saw the same special that I watched last year but yep, Wendell was truly special...Hopefully, recognition & respect for him will increase in all circles....

Cazzie
March 27th, 2011, 17:33
More than most people know Panther. Here's a black man trying to live his dream in a white man's world. And in the most prejudiced white man's world at that! He was a quiet man, never said a lot and you had to listen carefully when he did speak, he never raised his voice. But he put all of his children through college and saw they had a better life. Only Wendell, Jr. has messed up, getting involved with drugs and having to pay some time. But he's over that now and doing very well, thank you. He was a very special man and one who sure enough was cause for me to believe in and fight for Civil Rights, at a time when that was anathema for a white boy in these parts. I took my share of jeers, but hey, I like to think I am a better man for standing up for what was right and what else can I say, we won in the end. :ernae: