PDA

View Full Version : Brake release problem

Bulky
March 25th, 2011, 13:35
I was running fs9 without any problems. Everything was working the way it should. I installed an expansion pack for New York and when I started fs9 again, the brakes were stuck on and I couldn't release them no matter what I tried. I had originally saved the start up with the parking brake set and engines off .... parked at the gate.
I un-installed the expansion pack thinking that things would go back to normal. No such luck. The brake issue was still there. I couldn't release the brakes.
I uninstalled the simulator and reinstalled it thinking that the problem would go away. It didn't. After doing the uninstall and reinstall three times, I installed fsX thinking that it would not be a problem there. It was also a problem with FSX. I don't know how to fix this problem. I've looked in the registry thinking I might find something left over but no luck.
Anyone have an idea how I can solve this problem. I am having a fit uninstalling and reinstalling without any success. Thanks for any help.:wavey:

stansdds
March 26th, 2011, 02:51
Have you checked to make sure your keyboard command for brakes is properly set?

Bulky
March 26th, 2011, 09:21
Have you checked to make sure your keyboard command for brakes is properly set?

I re-installed FS9 this morning and tried resetting all keyboard and joystick commands. I changed a couple of them from the default settings and nothing is helping. I found the FS9.cfg file and looked for something in there but it only mentions left brake and right brake and has number values following each of them. ie: 128,8 or 259, 8. Those aren't the numbers but that's how they're listed. I saw someone in this forum that was having the same problem in FSX and a reply to them was to go into the FSX.cfg file and change the lines: brakes = false and parking brake = false. In the FS9.cfg file it doesn't have (brakes) and (parking brakes) listed in any line. Everything I've been trying has been without any success. The problem is located somewhere in my computer system and I have no idea where to start looking. Thanks for your input. I'll just keep trying something else when I get a brain storm....

Butcherbird17
March 27th, 2011, 11:19
Still having this problem? Couple things to know when uninstalling FSX or 9. Even though you have uninstalled the sims they leave behind some files and folders, and can cause problem (or keep) the problem you had in the first place. First is to look in your Documents folder and where the cfg are stored (app data) these need to be deleted. Also any addons that you have installed will still be where ever you have installed the sims, these can be backed up somewhere else on your comp or deleted your choice. Another thing to do once everything is uninstalled is to run a registry cleaner (the registry keys are still there) and can cause problems to. You can use (freeware) CCleaner or a payware one (I use Tuneup Utilities which has a registry cleaner). Then the last thing to do is a defrag before reinstalling the sims. If this problem is still present after doing the above and reinstall, i would start to look at your joystick or flight controls and if you use FSUIPC see if there is a problem with that. Hope this helps get you back in the air.

Joe

Dangerousdave26
March 27th, 2011, 15:00
If you are using toe brakes on rudder pedals they can get stuck on because they loose there check box for reversing the axis. What is happening is on is off and off is on.

Bulky
March 28th, 2011, 01:05
Still having this problem? Couple things to know when uninstalling FSX or 9. Even though you have uninstalled the sims they leave behind some files and folders, and can cause problem (or keep) the problem you had in the first place. First is to look in your Documents folder and where the cfg are stored (app data) these need to be deleted. Also any addons that you have installed will still be where ever you have installed the sims, these can be backed up somewhere else on your comp or deleted your choice. Another thing to do once everything is uninstalled is to run a registry cleaner (the registry keys are still there) and can cause problems to. You can use (freeware) CCleaner or a payware one (I use Tuneup Utilities which has a registry cleaner). Then the last thing to do is a defrag before reinstalling the sims. If this problem is still present after doing the above and reinstall, i would start to look at your joystick or flight controls and if you use FSUIPC see if there is a problem with that. Hope this helps get you back in the air.

Joe

Thanks, Joe
I have did all the things you mention above. I did not look for anything additional on the one add on that I removed but I haven't noticed any reference to it in my owners files. I have cleaned the registry with a cleaner and I'm sure that I have defraged the system since removing the program but I'll make sure and do it again. My controller works well in the combat simulator with the settings set the same as FS9. I don't think that any buttons micro-switch is stuck or not working. Joe, what is FSUIPC stand for?
Thank you for your input. I have the sim on my laptop and it runs fine on there using the same controller. Just to let you know.
Thanks again, Dave

Curtis P40
March 29th, 2011, 16:02
Didn't set your brakes while they were hot ? Sorry...If you have CH pedals, might have a broken wire that causes the brakes to be on.

Bulky
March 30th, 2011, 01:08
Didn't set your brakes while they were hot ? Sorry...If you have CH pedals, might have a broken wire that causes the brakes to be on.

Years ago when I bought the sim, I was going to get the pedals and yoke but chose to just stick with the Sidewinder. It seemed to work just fine because I mainly got it for setting up practice approaches and system failure procedures. It's a good sim to layout a VFR flight plan and fly it on the sim before doing it in the real thing. It didn't top the one they had over at the airport but getting practice time on that was hard to schedule.

I guess until I am able to purchase another computer, the problem will stay. I don't know where else to look for files to remove. Thank you all for your help. I will keep looking, time permitting, but it will just be luck if I find the problem source.

Dave