PDA

View Full Version : An old acquaintance: the Alphasim Lockheed P-2v7 in RNLN colours...

Warrant
March 23rd, 2011, 15:12
...brought back to life on my rig:

What a beauty, and what a joy to fly (and native FSX!)!

1th shot is from the nav position (nose)
2th is from the DVC (lacks functionality of the radar (center circle display)
3rd speaks for itself (en-route to Biak, Indonesia, of which a fictional F-9F5 livery will be published soon).

ColoKent
March 23rd, 2011, 15:29
And I agree that the Alphasim one is pretty good (especially if you like the "wet look", since the last release version in FSX had specular set to "shiny"-- absolutely infuriating, since Neptunes don't look like polished sports cars).

The other issue with it is that the flight model is twitchy and jumpy in the pitch axis (plus, it balloons ridiculously when flaps are lowered). In short, it doesn't feel like the heavy airplane it is. Same exact comments regarding Alpha's HU-16...another model I like.

Don't get me wrong--these are both still GREAT models that have stood the test of time-- it's just that an additional 5% of thought would have made them ULTRA GREAT.

I may reload the Neptune tonight...

It's still fun. Anyone working on a new P-2V for FSX in ASW configuration?

Kent

TARPSBird
March 24th, 2011, 00:37
The RNLN certainly got their money's worth out of their P2V's, as did the USN. I made a few flights in them 1966-67. About as close as you could get to WWII bomber flying 20 years after the end of the war. :d I loved flying the bow observer (nose) seat.

jojohnson9
March 24th, 2011, 06:31
[QUOTE=ColoKent;564980]

Anyone working on a new P-2V for FSX in ASW configuration?

I know that this plane is listed as a P2V-7, but it actually is an SP-2H (original designation: P2V-7S). The SP-2H was the final ASW model of the P2V.

doublecool
March 24th, 2011, 14:32
I like it... always did like the over head throttle

did anyone figure a way to fill in the big white blank seen in the middle... :jump: with a possible radar or GPS

ColoKent
March 24th, 2011, 14:55
...it's BOTH a -7 and an SP-2H. It was a P2V-7 prior to Oct 62, and an SP-2H afterward. during 1962, there was a wide redesignation of US Navy aircraft...hence the use of both designators.

Kent

peter12213
March 24th, 2011, 15:03
I think the Radar does work mate you just need to opperate it from the 2D I may be wrong though!:salute:

fsafranek
March 25th, 2011, 09:33
And I agree that the Alphasim one is pretty good (especially if you like the "wet look", since the last release version in FSX had specular set to "shiny"-- absolutely infuriating, since Neptunes don't look like polished sports cars).

Is the whole thing wet or just the fuselage? On the original FS9 textures I used an alpha channel to put some reflection on those side windows that were just painted on. The rest of everything else was all flat or matt. FSX deals differently with alphas so that may be the cause. It could also be caused by bump maps if Virtavia added those. Just because you work on something doesn't mean you get a copy anymore so I can't check myself.