PDA

View Full Version : Old Airplane Pictures

Helldiver
March 23rd, 2011, 04:13
3377733776I have been cleaning out 82 years of junk. I have eight airplane pictures that were on penny post cards. I bought them 72 years ago. They're are in like new condition.
This was when Fighter aircraft were considered "Pursuits" and they belonged to the Army Air Corps.
I also have a WWII German post card showig German Paratroops landing from JU-57s..
Does anybody know someone that collects such stuff?

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/misc/pencil.png

mal998
March 23rd, 2011, 05:24
Does anybody know someone that collects such stuff?

I do! What do you have in mind?

Helldiver
March 23rd, 2011, 06:43
They're free to any serious collector. If they want to make a contribution to SOH, it would be welcomed.

delta_lima
March 23rd, 2011, 07:34
Find a museum near you. There's one near my house http://www.canadianflight.org/ that will eat up anything RCAF and/or WWII. I have to think that out in the Northeastern US, there has to be one in almost every county.

That way, instead of it being a one-to-one gift, it becomes a one-to-many gift.

Just a thought ...

dl

alain95
March 23rd, 2011, 08:12
Find a museum near you. There's one near my house http://www.canadianflight.org/ that will eat up anything RCAF and/or WWII. I have to think that out in the Northeastern US, there has to be one in almost every county.

That way, instead of it being a one-to-one gift, it becomes a one-to-many gift.

Just a thought ...

dl

I second this Idea !
I don't know wether their best places are in a Postcard museum or in a Air museum
But your cards looks very fine, especially if there is a date of publication.
:engel016:

Helldiver
March 23rd, 2011, 09:52
Giving things to a museum sounds mighty fine until you get to deal with them. They have a very lofty opinion of themselves and you do things their way. You send stuff at your own expense, which in one case was very expensive. Then they catalog it. Then when a researcher gets to it, they have a veritable mountain of junk to go through, maybe what you sent might get looked at. I'm kind of turned off by "museums".
By the way, there is no date on the cards. I bought them myself at Larrabee's store in Beverly, Massachusetts. They are hand colored since color film was a rarity in those days. If you want to you, can carbon date them if you won't take my word for their authenticity. But the price is right.

GunnyG
March 23rd, 2011, 11:51
Giving things to a museum sounds mighty fine until you get to deal with them. They have a very lofty opinion of themselves and you do things their way. You send stuff at your own expense, which in one case was very expensive. Then they catalog it. Then when a researcher gets to it, they have a veritable mountain of junk to go through, maybe what you sent might get looked at. I'm kind of turned off by "museums".
By the way, there is no date on the cards. I bought them myself at Larrabee's store in Beverly, Massachusetts. They are hand colored since color film was a rarity in those days. If you want to you, can carbon date them if you won't take my word for their authenticity. But the price is right.

How about this? Send them to me, and I'll do a high-res scan of each of them. I'll then post links to them here, for people to download, for their own personal use.

Tell me what you think...

spotlope
March 23rd, 2011, 11:59
Those are fantastic cards! If you and Gunny decide to scan them, I'd love to have some of the images for my desktop.

Helldiver
March 23rd, 2011, 12:21
My prayers are answered. Bill Womack used his wiley ways and convinced me to send the cards to him.
Besides, I owe him for Plum Island Aerodrome.

spotlope
March 23rd, 2011, 13:00
My prayers are answered. Bill Womack used his wiley ways and convinced me to send the cards to him.
Besides, I owe him for Plum Island Aerodrome.

LOL. Wiley, I am not. I don't think I even have any room around here for more paper ephemera. Besides which, my wife would kill me if I took on more physical stuff that'll just lie around. I would definitely love some digital scans of them, though.

Helldiver
March 23rd, 2011, 17:24
mal998 - Are you interested?

Death_Eagle_571
March 23rd, 2011, 21:49
Those are great cards, are they still available?