PDA

View Full Version : A confession before I bed down this evening.

Cazzie
December 3rd, 2008, 18:42
I have been flying MS Flight Sims since FS5 in 1995 and I have come to the conclusion that they are habit forming and that I am hopelessly addicted! :icon_lol:

I even purchased my computers based on MS Flight Sims. I never upgrade for any working programs, only Flight Sim programs. I am beyond hope.

But it is good to know I am in a full company of others likely effected with my affliction And I have found all of these fools to be most pleasant company to be around. :friday:

Caz

Lionheart
December 3rd, 2008, 19:55
<--- as soon as Cazzie sits back down, I stand up from steel chair in the circle of chairs of sim pilots...

"Hi.. My name is Bill and I am an FS addict. Have been since FS2000. Making jaunts accross to Heathrow from NY in the Concorde was my main addiction for a long time...."

:d

Bill

OBIO
December 3rd, 2008, 23:35
Hi, my name is Tim. I got my first flight simulator in 1984. I was 15. I flew that little Piper Cub or what ever it was supposed to be for about 4 years until my Radio Shack Color Computer 2 burned out. I was free from flight simming until 2004, when I was bitten again by Combat Flight Simulator 3. For some reason, that program did not give me the full flight sim feeling. Then someone turned me on to Combat Flight Simulator 2, which I found to be much more simulator like....and much more adaptable as well. I am now fully and deeply addicted. I not only fly the planes when I should be eating, I also spend large amounts of time skinning them, giving them new panels, modifying the DP files, creating or modifying sound packs for planes. Heck, I even go so far as to convert planes from other simulators to work in CFS2.

I must admit that I am beginning to feel the need for more indepth flight simulation....something to take the edge of my yearning to fly the big commercial birds and all those lovely civilian and experimental planes. I have been looking for a dealer who can supply me with a copy of Flight Simulator 2004. And I fear that once I get a copy of that program, my addiction will grow beyond all hope of recovery.

Mr.Mugel
December 4th, 2008, 01:30
"Hi, my name is Lennart, and I use FS since version 3, but I was mot likely about 3 feet tall those days, and well, I entered the dark side of modding FS with FS98, those days when downloading a huge 5MB addon (was a 747) took quite some time via 56k... Those were the days..., well, now I use quite an amount of my free time to fiddle with FS, look through FS-related forums and addon sites, and sometimes I even find the time to do a short flight... I use FSX SP2 in DX10 mode and just recently started buying payware for reasonable prices..."

hey_moe
December 4th, 2008, 01:40
I must admit I have the same sickness as you guys:costumes: I am hoping they will open a FS Rehabilitate Center for us sick puppies to attend with all the newest flight simulation chairs,controls,gadgets,downloads. They also need to add a special area for the ones who have an addition for fast computer hardware because I have that sickness too and I don't think there is a cure for it.:eek:

Cazzie
December 4th, 2008, 01:51
I must admit I have the same sickness as you guys:costumes: I am hoping they will open a FS Rehabilitate Center for us sick puppies to attend with all the newest flight simulation chairs,controls,gadgets,downloads. They also need to add a special area for the ones who have an addition for fast computer hardware because I have that sickness too and I don't think there is a cure for it.:eek:

"I'll drink to that!"

No, wait a minute, that's another group of fools I belong to!

Moe, the doctor said I may get better, but I shall never get well. :costumes:

Caz

txnetcop
December 4th, 2008, 03:21

I also suffer from your addictions Mike. I suspect that somehow, someone found a way to transfer this addiction by keyboard or monitor in the form of a human virus. I have discovered that I am totally infested with it and more than willing to share this virus with others I build computers for. Every computer I decided to build was because the newest MSFS needed better hardware.

Now, I just built this beautiful i7Core 940 with three HD4870s for a friend. At 3.2 GHZ it is faster than a QX Penryn Quad running at 4GHz. I hope I never recover:costumes:
Ted

jmig
December 4th, 2008, 03:34
Well guys, I am not addicted. I can quit any time I want to. I just don't want to, that is all.

Besides, doesn't everyone pour thousands of dollars into a sim cockpit in pursuit of the perfect flight simming experience?

Doesn't everyone upgrade his computer every year in order to squeeze a few more FPS or load textures smoother?

Doesn't everyone have friends who look at you funny when you talk of flying your F-16 over Hoover Dam after finishing a low level where you struck several targets, as if you actually flew a real F-16?

So, you see, I am not crazy.

lifejogger
December 4th, 2008, 04:28
Hello, my name is John and I to am addicted to flight simming. But what might even be worse is that I am addicted to trying to tweak medium to low spec computers to run high performance flight simulation programs

Snuffy
December 4th, 2008, 04:38
*sits silently and watches*

*thinks quietly to himself, "So I wonder if flying B-17s from England to every point all over the continent of Europe would compromise an addiction? Those guys will think I'm nuts if I say anything!"

*continues to watch ...*

Henry
December 4th, 2008, 06:40
You guys are sick :censored:i mean what fools you would have to be
flying sims since fs95, building computers just to run them,
getting involved with forums,
youre all morons
Oh!:redf::isadizzy:
H

cheezyflier
December 4th, 2008, 06:53
I understand that you guys start out with your flight sims and you think they're great... and they are, they are terrific. But pretty soon, a sim isn't enough. You're out on the street trying to score an F-16, or maybe a carenado cessna. And the next thing you know, you're strung out on aircraft. That's serious....

ok, i modified the line from mr. mom a little, but it fits so well, it's almost creepy :costumes:

GT182
December 4th, 2008, 07:14
Like Jmig says, I can quit at anytime I want too. :p: As a matter of fact, and as a confession too, I've been off FS since June. I have the urge to fire up but haven't yet.

I now have a download addiction tho for FS9 and FSX right now, and my HDD is riddled with zipfile tracks. Once I kick that habit I'll probably fall off the wagon and return to my errant ways with 9 and 10. I've been told it's a never ending battle that you can never completely kick. Please save me!

:friday: :ernae:

Willy
December 4th, 2008, 11:50
I can't be addicted to FS. I went thru CFS 1, 2, & 3 before moving to FS9.

And we all know that denial is just a river in Egypt.

Dain Arns
December 4th, 2008, 12:13
Try a hobby like High-Powered Rocketry, where a single launch can run a $1000 or more, not including cost of the rocket. :costumes: Needless to say, I don't do that anymore.

I think an addicition is something that is bad for you. Really flight simming is overall good for the soul and the type of person I am. I love to explore.

Frankly, most of us do something else with the computer as well. I do digital photography and movies, presentations, communications, shopping, listening to music, watching DVD's, and online gaming for examples. You take a RC airplane or helicopter where one wrong move means buying a whole new copy sometimes, I'll take the occasional hiccups from FSX, and the recent cost of many add-ons. Heck, I can't even imagine the cost of real flying today, and the headaches associated with it. For our hobby, its actually quite cost effective, compared to any other hobbies.

The family and Good Lord knows I've tried quite a few hobbies over the years, but I always stick to Flight Simming. Where else can I fly an L-4 and then switch out to a P-51 or Spitfire within the same afternoon, without having to spend over $1 million to get a copy, like in real life. :icon_lol:

Odie
December 4th, 2008, 12:14
Addiction to Flight simming? NO Way, NO how !

I just have an overwhelming, all-encompassing need to collect every aircraft that's every been produced for the virtual world. The stacks of Computer Pilot and PC Pilot magazines that form a fort around my PC workstation are merely my contribution to the publishing world. Besides, they mesh neatly with my stacks of Aeroplane, Fly Past, and Flight Journal. So what if my internet logs show minute by minute visits to SOH forums....that only proves that the testing of my internet service provider's connection is working in case there's an internet emergency.

What's an internet emergency you ask?

Well, someone, somewhere might release a critical software package that I might need to purchase and download and install into MSFS.

So, this addiction hub-bub has been successfully debunked. Put to rest. Totally disproved.

What's that, honey? Credit limit exceded? AAAAGGGGGHHHHHH !

Overshoe
December 4th, 2008, 18:12
My name is Tom and I've been addicted to FS since 1989. I confess I too build/buy my hardware for FS and if it runs other stuff too, that's a bonus. I'm currently trying to break a long habit of scenery design, sadly begun one day when I discovered SubLogic's scenery disk 12 and stopped crashing into Lake Michigan. It started off innocently enough. I made a really crappy basic version of Bangor and to go with it an equally crappy version of St. John, NB Canada for SD-12. Of course I was hooked but I was in denial until the fateful Thursday during FS98 when I made 23 airports between 7 am and 10 pm. Then I knew I was sick. With help I was able to taper off and now with FSX I have only made two airports. There may be hope. Though with Instant Scenery, there's always a quick fix lurking in the shadows.
:wavey:

Prowler1111
December 4th, 2008, 18:17
..what is a flight simulator, anyway?....:costumes:

PeteHam
December 4th, 2008, 19:56
The song that comes to mind is the Eagles 'Hotel California'

We can give up anytime ... but we can never leave :icon_lol:

As David "Opa" Marshall says in his 'Tips & Tricks' notes ......

" It's not a hobby -- it's a bloody addiction ! "

:ernae::ernae:

Pete.

OBIO
December 4th, 2008, 20:15
To give an example of my early stage of skinning addiction: I once skinned nearly non-stop for 4 days...ate at my computer, only left for bathroom breaks and quick showers. Did not shave. I took a single one hour nap on the floor with my faithful pooch Spud (RIP buddy) during those four days. I did nearly 30 paints for the CFS2 conversion of Warrick Carter/Wozza's P-51D Mustang.

Luckily, things are not that severe any longer...not since my wife took away my comfortable office chair and makes me use an old metal patio chair.

OBIO

Captain Tenneal
December 4th, 2008, 20:45
Hi my name is Bruce.........

I'm a flightsim addict......

I have been fighting a severe state of depression because my flight machine took a :bs: on me..... and all I have is this group to pull me through the ruff times THANKS GUYS!!!!!

smoores
December 4th, 2008, 21:59
I'd wildly addicted. There is no fighting it. I need to find a healthier hobby, like crack, or drinking.

HundertzehnGustav
December 5th, 2008, 07:31
Har Har Har :costumes:

*shakes head*

:costumes:

JoeW
December 5th, 2008, 10:23
I think this bug goes deeper than that. I've had it since before the computer. This is me with my Lazy Ace ( Scratch built) with a Webra .90 swinging a 18" prop, sometime in the mid 70's.