PDA

View Full Version : Random FSX Crash

MenendezDiego
March 20th, 2011, 20:32
So I got a new rig about 2 months ago. Windows 7 64bit, fresh install of FSX with Accel plus a few add-ons. As of late, and I mean really lately (like the past 2-3 weeks), I will be flying, and then it just randomly crashes. Windows says it is trying to solve the problem (yea right lol). <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Anyone else experience this or know of a fix?<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Many thanks, Diego<o:p></o:p>

gradyhappyg
March 20th, 2011, 20:55
Mine goes through periods like that (and windows has yet to fix the problem also LOL) I usually check the problem reports to try and pinpoint anything specific like a dll. and work back from there. Running a good registry cleaner can sometimes help as well as regular defrags. Sometimes deleting the FSX config can help (back it up first). But without more to go I am just guessing. Good luck.
Gotta a spare one of these if you need it.
http://ts3.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=409135156358&id=e084c66bd0774326b3e63a4a6a265e21&url=http%3a%2f%2flibrary.thinkquest.org%2fC0121286 %2fhammer.jpg

MenendezDiego
March 20th, 2011, 20:58
Sounds good. I will try the FSX config attempt (as it is the easiet to try first).

Will I lose anything in doing so? i.e. will I have to reconfigure controllers/settings/etc.?

Many thanks, Diego

gradyhappyg
March 20th, 2011, 21:17
Yes the keyboard assignments will be lost,controllers not so sure as I use the default settings and have never paid any attention to those. Also if you have tweaked the config file or added the 3.0 shader mod you will have to manually re enter that after FSX rebuilds the file. I will keep checking back here if you need any help.

Shylock
March 20th, 2011, 21:41
I had this every time I would change views after about 10-20 minutes. I installed UIAutomationCore.dll into my FSX folder and did the trick. No more random crashes for me. Send me an email to shylock@fsxblueangels.com and I will email it to if you want to give that a try.

MenendezDiego
March 20th, 2011, 23:22
Thanks Skylark.

I had tried this about 2 days ago.

I placed it in the same folder as the FSX launch icon (c/programfiles/microsoftgames/fsx)

Yet, I still had crashes. Am I supposed to delete something prior to putting it in? All I did was drag and drop.

As for deleting the fsx.cfg and letting it write a new one, I actually didn't have to re-do all the keyboard functions (which was great), and enjoyed a great flight in Vegas with the F/A-18E for about 30 minutes. Loaded up the Aerosoft F-16C, and bam, crash.

Regards, Diego

gradyhappyg
March 20th, 2011, 23:38
Have you installed win7 sp1 in the last few weeks?

kilo delta
March 21st, 2011, 04:19
Do you know what the faulting application/module is? Click the Start button--->type Event Viewer into the search bar--->hit Enter key and search for the offending error.

Bone
March 21st, 2011, 04:39
I've been getting the CTD's lately, too. I saw this at Simviaion, but haven't had the chance to try it yet. Check the first entry.

http://simviation.com/1/search?submit=1&keywords=fsx+ctd+fix

MenendezDiego
March 21st, 2011, 20:56
Well I tried the CTD fix, and I still got a crash.

It seems that I usually get the crash when flying steep towards the ground, say on the down end of a figure-eight...strange

Regards, Diego

Bone
March 22nd, 2011, 05:28
I tried the "fix" found on Simviation. Flew for awhile just fine, and then got a CTD when toggling from inside to outside views. I'm going to try what KD suggested.

kilo delta
March 22nd, 2011, 05:32
I tried the "fix" found on Simviation. Flew for awhile just fine, and then got a CTD when toggling from inside to outside views. I'm going to try what KD suggested.

It'll at least give you a clue as to what is causing the CTD. :)

Bone
March 23rd, 2011, 08:52
I just had another CTD, and typed in "event viewer" as KD suggested. The offending module came up as the g3d.dll in the main FSX directory.

So, to help me understand what is going on here, did a windows update corrupt the g3d.dll module, or did the update change the way Windows 7 interracts with the g3d.dll module?

Anyone?

kilo delta
March 23rd, 2011, 09:39
I just had another CTD, and typed in "event viewer" as KD suggested. The offending module came up as the g3d.dll in the main FSX directory.

So, to help me understand what is going on here, did a windows update corrupt the g3d.dll module, or did the update change the way Windows 7 interracts with the g3d.dll module?

Anyone?

That is a pretty common error (going by Google) and appears to be a texture issue(maybe addon scenery or AI).

Bone
March 23rd, 2011, 12:17
That is a pretty common error (going by Google) and appears to be a texture issue(maybe addon scenery or AI).

Thanks, KD. Any ideas on how to find the culprit texture/ai?

kilo delta
March 23rd, 2011, 13:51
Thanks, KD. Any ideas on how to find the culprit texture/ai?

Only through painstaking trial and error,Bone. Perhaps you could disable recent addons one by one until you find the culprit.

MenendezDiego
March 23rd, 2011, 14:00
Seems to make sense. I recently installed an addon scenery, and that's when my troubles started. Figured FSX couldn't handle the new scenery, but it runs silky smooth, so the texture issue makes a lot of sense...however...it's happened to me over the ocean. Shouldn't matter where I am flying right? If a texture is bad, it's just bad and will cause the error.

Will un-install after a meeting tonight and report the results.

Regards, Diego

Bone
March 23rd, 2011, 14:02
Yep, found it. Thanks.

kilo delta
March 23rd, 2011, 15:17
Glad you found it Bone...hope things work out for you too MD. :)

BOOM
March 24th, 2011, 06:05
This has started to happen to me aswell,I get "The Freeze/Blue Death screen" when cycling views to often,I thought it my of been some tweaking I did in FSX Conf. file,But I deleted/rebuilt same with continued Crashes. I'm considering a clean FSX Reinstall[Bummer]

Did any of you guy's find the culprit??
Thanks!

kilo delta
March 30th, 2011, 13:56
Did you guys get this sorted? Soon after my last post in this thread my fsx began to ctd during start-up with a ntdll.dll error. I fixed it by updating the gfx drivers and resetting the Nvidia Inspector profile. I also began getting weird sound issues in game and had to uninstall my motherboard's Realtek HD onboard sound drivers and am currently running the window's 7 default drivers without issue. Finally...my java install somehow became corrupted...uninstalled,downloaded and installed the newest version and my fsx is all fixed up and purty again.

Bone
March 30th, 2011, 14:15
Did you guys get this sorted? Soon after my last post in this thread my fsx began to ctd during start-up with a ntdll.dll error. I fixed it by updating the gfx drivers and resetting the Nvidia Inspector profile. I also began getting weird sound issues in game and had to uninstall my motherboard's Realtek HD onboard sound drivers and am currently running the window's 7 default drivers without issue. Finally...my java install somehow became corrupted...uninstalled,downloaded and installed the newest version and my fsx is all fixed up and purty again.

Funny you should mention the ntdll.dll ctd. I've had it 4 times in the last two days. I've also had 2 terrain.dll ctd's.