PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Weird Internet Problem...

Kiwikat
March 19th, 2011, 23:38
I have no idea how to explain what is going on. Basically my download speeds are atrocious. Speedtest.net is showing 3-5 megs down, but my download speeds both in windows and linux are abysmal, like below 20 kb/sec. I should be getting 600 kb/sec. The upload speeds are working perfect.

The strangest part is that if I am downloading something at the slow speed and then do a speedtest at speedtest.net, my file download speeds up considerably, to the speed it should be. But it only stays fast WHILE the speedtest download part is happening. As soon as the test is done, the download slows way back down.

I cannot explain this. I've suspected problems with my router as it is 5 years old, but there has to be something else going on here. Anyone have any ideas? It is extremely frustrating.

We should be getting 5 megs down with our DSL plan, but lately it has been shaky at best. Sometimes it is only 2 megs down. For a couple weeks it was below 1 meg down. I'm starting to think it is time to go with a new ISP...

deathfromafar
March 20th, 2011, 00:01
I've been hearing this same story more and more lately with people who have broadband cable/DSL. The common complaint being slow connection speeds, slow download speeds(really bad with Youtube), intermittent slow/failed browser/page loadings. I have had the same issue even after changing routers. My ISP informed me(and others I know who have had similar issues) that in order for the connection speeds to be higher, they would have to run a new higher capacity line into the house and at my cost unless the current line is failing/defective. Now that may or may not have anything to do with your issue. I have also heard of ISP's throttling connection speeds at times or limits on high volume customers. On the other hand, your ISP may just be having issues. I have down time at least a few times a year. I'll be glad when the day comes that everything goes broadband wireless(eventually even Satellite) and closes the door on the current aging & constricted systems.

Allen
March 20th, 2011, 00:19
The way ISP are starting to be, I'm betting there throttling connection speeds at most web sites and not telling you that the are. They prob have a list of web sites that they want to limit your speed at.

Also I betting that speedtest.net is not on that list so they can trick you and say it your PC or internet line is slow and like deathfromafar make you pay to upgrade that you don't need.

Your download speed is coming back when you use speedtest.net beacuse if they did not un-throtte your connection speed at speedtest.net it would show that your ISP is riping you off and the don't want you to know.

You need to find an lesser know speed test place that is not on your ISP un-throtte connection speed list. When you do find it. I will show that you being ripped off!

Z-IanMCD
March 20th, 2011, 01:44
A few questions: did you check the config page of your router? What browser are you using, if you're using firefox, you can adjust the number of parallel connections used by the browser to increase the bandwidth used, it's all explained here:

http://ezinearticles.com/?Faster-Firefox-Tweaks---Speed-Up-Firefox-With-These-Eight-Simple-Tricks&id=2112843

you might also want to check and clean your rig of spy- and malware using the well known proggies for it.

Good luck!

kilo delta
March 20th, 2011, 07:37
Are you sure that nobody is illegally piggybacking off your internet? Use WPA2 security if possible with a very secure (and long,with special characters) password. MAC filtering isn't really necessary as if someone can be bothered to hack your WPA2 protected network...chances are they'll get past MAC filtering too.
I'm running the free version of >OpenDNS< (http://www.opendns.com/) and have a >modified HOST< (http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm) file.

djscoo
March 20th, 2011, 08:40
What ISP do you use?

Kiwikat
March 20th, 2011, 08:59
you might also want to check and clean your rig of spy- and malware using the well known proggies for it.

Good luck!

No malware here, that's one thing I'm sure of.

Are you sure that nobody is illegally piggybacking off your internet? Use WPA2 security if possible with a very secure (and long,with special characters) password.

Our password is essentially impossible to brute force or guess. So I really don't think someone else is using our connection. The router never shows any unknown devices on the network.

What ISP do you use?

SBC/AT&T

It might just be a neighborhood traffic/connection reliability issue? Our DSL was much more reliable at the house we lived at prior to this one. This neighborhood has a much higher population density than where we lived before too. My parents are considering upgrading to roadrunner anyways. I think I might take them up on their offer.

Ickie
March 20th, 2011, 09:01
have you tried to disconnect the router and plug directly into your computer, this will tell you if your router is going south.

BurningBeard
March 20th, 2011, 09:27
I had ATT/SBC and had the same problem, it just kept getting slower and slower. I had this line from when it was first set up (Pacbell). Anyhoo, I dumped it for cable about five months ago and now the speeds are 4 or 5 times faster than the original line and I just have basic service. I heard rumors that ATT was slowly squeezing down the speeds to encourage people to upgrade their connections.

Beard

Kiwikat
March 20th, 2011, 11:36
I just downloaded something on my desktop without issue. Maybe it is the router...

Allen
March 20th, 2011, 13:18
I heard rumors that ATT was slowly squeezing down the speeds to encourage people to upgrade their connections.

That, an now a hard cap on data.

Been with Att for 10+ years. I'm using an old Speedstreem 5100 Modem and Linksys WRT150N Router for wireless. I got 1536 Kbps (downstream) 384 Kbps (upstream). I'm watching my "net" like a hawk to see if I'm hit by this new crap.

djscoo
March 20th, 2011, 13:57
They're probably throttling your bandwidth during peak usage periods. Next time it happens, make a note of the time.

Kiwikat
March 20th, 2011, 17:19
They're probably throttling your bandwidth during peak usage periods. Next time it happens, make a note of the time.

Last night it was happening at 2 and 3 AM lol. I don't think that's a peak usage period.