PDA

View Full Version : 354th FG updates and progress

Captain Kurt
February 17th, 2011, 17:47

Work is going slowly forward on upgrading the Alphasim P-51D and Donationware P-51B models to use in my planned 354th Fighter Group campaign. This is going to take a while, but I thought I'd occasionally post an update on progress.

This is a new P-51D cockpit panel for the Alphasim. I've used bits and pieces of other cockpits in addition to some new artwork (credit will be given of course). I am trying to get as close as I could to the real thing. Check the panel layout against the panel layout drawing. The engine controls panel window mimicks the real layout to a degree. The autopilot and radio / nav windows are pure poetic license but some guys like to use 'em so they are in there as well.

Rami
February 18th, 2011, 01:58
Captain Kurt,

I sent you a PM. I'm looking forward to this project! :salute:

Good work on those 'Stangs as well! :ernae:

SgtT
February 18th, 2011, 02:41
Keep up the good work! Looking forward to another update.

T.

mariereid
February 18th, 2011, 04:41
Very nice, indeed!:salute:

Captain Kurt
February 18th, 2011, 18:22
Thanks all. Much more to come in time.

erufle
February 19th, 2011, 04:10
I'm really lookin' forward to this one. Mustangs . . . greeeaaaat.

Captain Kurt
February 20th, 2011, 12:19

The base aluminum skin is finished finally. Bare metal is a serious pain to paint, so unless you all don't think this skin is up to par, I'm calling this good. I'll be applying 354th FG markings to it later.

Im starting on the olive drab counterpart skin today.

I now have the flight model where it will hit 440 MPH at 20,000 feet per spec. It has a bit too much range as a side effect.

On my test mission I have the waypoints at 135 miles, 464 miles, and 585 miles and I land with 6% fuel remaining, total distance 1184 miles. That's about 100+ miles too much. I can bring that down but it will likely affect top speed. Since it is so close and the speed is OK I think I should leave it. What do you all think?

The game is funny about adding drop tanks though. When I add the two 75 gal. drop tanks in the aircraft config I can suddenly fly forever. My test mission is 4352 miles long and I can complete that with 35% fuel remaining. Maybe it's a game bug, I don't know. More research is needed.

More later.

mariereid
February 20th, 2011, 12:48
They look pretty great to me, Captain!:salute:

If all my planes were + or- 100 miles, I'd be very happy!:ernae:

Pips
February 20th, 2011, 13:11
You've worked your magic again Captain K! :) I think they look superb.

And I agree with you. Getting the top speed right is far more important than cutting down the range of the aircraft. I could certainly live with a 100 mile variation.

Rami
February 20th, 2011, 13:34
I now have the flight model where it will hit 440 MPH at 20,000 feet per spec. It has a bit too much range as a side effect.

On my test mission I have the waypoints at 135 miles, 464 miles, and 585 miles and I land with 6% fuel remaining, total distance 1184 miles. That's about 100+ miles too much. I can bring that down but it will likely affect top speed. Since it is so close and the speed is OK I think I should leave it. What do you all think?

The game is funny about adding drop tanks though. When I add the two 75 gal. drop tanks in the aircraft config I can suddenly fly forever. My test mission is 4352 miles long and I can complete that with 35% fuel remaining. Maybe it's a game bug, I don't know. More research is needed.

More later.

Kurt,

I noticed that as well. I relied on that extra range for the long Frantic flights from Foggia to England and from England to the Ukraine. I knew it wasn't quite right, but it meant that the missions could be completed without a problem.

Captain Kurt
February 20th, 2011, 22:30
After lots of testing I can say that CFS2 only recognizes the fact that a plane has drop tanks and adds to the aircraft range. But it does not calculate fuel quantity or fuel burn.

The size of the fuel tanks has amost ZERO effect on the aircraft range. I even put 1 gallon of fuel in the 75 gallon wing tanks in the aircraft.cfg and I still could fly 4325 miles and arrive with 35% fuel. When I put in the full 75 gallons in each tank the result was exactly the same. Since I don't know how, or if, the problem can be fixed I'll have to live with it. It's better than not being able to get enough range.

Speaking of drop tanks, here is the VB 75 gallon tank repainted and will be used with the Donationware P-51B and Alphasim D.

dvslats
February 21st, 2011, 00:39
Hey There Captain Kurt,

Sweet looking set-up with the VB tanks.

On the matter of fuel quantity for the DT's, check out what is in the airfile. Records 525 thru 535.
Any entries in the aircraft.cfg will not be read by the CFS2 engine.

IIRC, this bird had 110 gallons in each.

This may account for your exquisite range. :salute:

Dave

mariereid
February 21st, 2011, 00:55
Man, than plane is looking better every time I see a new photo of it. I just got the nerve to start mucking about in the air files. I had a P-40 that would fly forever. I THINK I fixed it. I must give it a run with a drop tank and see what happens. Thanks for updating us Captain K, I seem to learn something new by following your progress. :salute::ernae:

Rami
February 21st, 2011, 05:08
The FDG Mustang comes with either 75 gallon or 110 gallon tanks as selectable options.

Captain Kurt
February 21st, 2011, 16:29
I'm using aired and airwrench plus editing the aircraft.cfg by hand. I can get + / - 100 or so miles playing around with the 75 gal drop tanks but that's it.

There were actually 3 types of drop tanks the the P-51 could carry during WWII. (This gets really nit-picky)

The ubiquitous 75 gallon drop tank was the most commonly used in all theaters. Both P-51B/C and P-51D used them

The 110 gallon metal tank was almost never used in the ETO. It was shipped to the Pacific and Italy because a local alternative was available in England. It was used by P-51Ds.

The locally made in England ETO alternative was a plastic resin impregnated paper tank holding 108 gallons. Definitely one time use as the fuel would eventually dissolve the tank. I can't say categorically that the P-51B never used the 108 gallon tanks, but I can't ever recall seeing a photo of a B/C with one of these tanks under the wings. Anybody have a pic of one? Unless someone can help here, I won't be providing the 108 gallon tanks for the B/C model.

The P-51Ds used these tanks for very long missions, but you most commonly see the 75 gallon tanks under the D wings too. Evidentally the 75 gallon tanks got them in and out as far as they needed to go most times.

Probably bored you all to tears, but there you have it. Have a good evening.

Rami
February 23rd, 2011, 16:23
Kurt,

I've flight tested the P-51b Mustang per your request, and I must say that you've done an outstanding job with this, making her much more realistic in flight, especially at altitude. She may be a touch on the hot side, but only incrementally so. Great work!

So in short: Flight-tested, Rami approved. :salute:

Captain Kurt
February 23rd, 2011, 17:19
Rami,

Thanks for testing her. I spent many hours on it, so I am pleased that you think I am hitting the mark.

And it was a hot ship after all. One of my uncles flew the P-51D in WWII as a 20 year old F/O, and he talked to me a bit about what it was like to fly it. Hard to slow her down, throttle control essential in turns and dives and very touchy at low speeds. It stalled at 102 mph without flaps. That would wake you up while landing wouldn't it? All because of the so called laminar flow wing. But it was fast, turned fast and tight, climbed like a bat and it had range. He thought it was a thoroughbred in every sense of the word and he loved it.

I'll send you the D model to wring out once I have the base skin finished :jump:

Captain Kurt
February 26th, 2011, 12:44
Here are some screen shots of the progressing work on the Alphsim P-51D being developed for the 354th FG campaign I am building.

The new flight models are complete (I think) and the factory fresh base skin is done. I will add markings from here.

The package is off to Rami for flight testing now.

Pen32Win
February 26th, 2011, 15:26
Smooth Baby, Smooth......

She's looking great, Multi-Res? Yes?

I've spent the whole day sorting out all of my old aircraft before I start playing catch up, still going at it, but this will make replacing all of the old 51D's real easy..... I see a mass painting spree in the near future from our commumity skinners....

Rami
February 26th, 2011, 18:23
Pen32Win,

No, unfortunately that model is not multi-res.

Captain Kurt,

One element of this P-51d concerns me. The maneuverability (particularly, the roll rate) seems a bit too good. By many accounts I've read, the P-51d's maneuverability was inferior to the P-51b. This stems primarily from the cutting down of the rear fuselage and the addition of a dorsal fin to increase stability. Additionally, the P-51d's wing was redesigned at the root, which altered its flight characteristics, and the addition of two more .50-cals in the wings served to increase the wing loading.

These, though minor, should make it so the P-51b is more maneuverable than the "D" model. Everything else was ship-shape during flight testing.

I'm happy to be of service to you.

Andrew

Captain Kurt
February 26th, 2011, 18:40
That's the kind of info I need to work with Rami, thanks. I'll get to work again.

Captain Kurt
February 26th, 2011, 21:23
Hi Rami,

Thanks for the help. I watched a P-51 training film and timed the roll rate. It’s right at 4 seconds for a 360 degree roll in level flight at high cruise – about 370 mph indicated. The first flight model I sent you was a 2 ½ seconds rate so it was too high. The turn rate was also too high because the roll rate was too fast.

I just sent you a new mustang.air file and it should be about right. It now rolls at a fraction over 4 seconds. Let me know what you think.

Thanks again.

Pen:
Thanks for the comment. It's the best model of the D that we have IMHO. Both Nik112 and Pepe modified the mdl file to allow it to work well as AI in missions. I'm using Pepe's and it will be part of the final package. MultiLOD would be better, but works acceptably.

Stratobat
February 27th, 2011, 03:19
The panel lines and rivet detail looks awesome, Captain Kurt :applause:

Are you going to release a paint kit?

Regards,
Stratobat

Captain Kurt
February 27th, 2011, 12:44
Thanks for the compliment.

I hadn't thought about a paint kit before. I guess now would be the time to fix one up before I go any further wouldn't it? Right now the panel lines are merged on the displayed skin but I have another layered version that could be updated to match. I'll think on it.

gius
February 27th, 2011, 14:49
excellent work, compliments!!!

Captain Kurt
March 6th, 2011, 15:49
This is as close to the real natural aluminum Mustangs as I can get. I've sent the rebuilt flight models to Rami for testing but I haven't heard back yet. Hopefully he will agree. They compare well to the performance specs I could find, and to some WWII air force training videos demonstrating the flight characteristics.

I'm woprking on the olive drab camouflage skin for the B model now and then it will be on to building several advanced landing ground airfields used by the 354th as they moved across France and Germany 1944 - 45.

Rami
March 6th, 2011, 17:19
Kurt,

My apologies for not getting back to you...I've been preoccupied with working on the 486th Fighter Squadron. We've discussed the "B" and "D" Mustangs, and I do agree, as far as takeoff performance, roll rate, climbing ability, and acceleration are concerned, you're very close if not directly on the mark. I don't think you have to change much at this point, you've done outstanding work.

Thanks,

Captain Kurt
March 6th, 2011, 17:38
Thanks buddy

Seagull V
March 6th, 2011, 18:14
Hello Captain Kurt

There are lots of things that can impact on the colour/appearance from time of day, season, weather, light angle, how clean the aircraft is, polished/buffed etc.
Bottom two photos were taken about 30 seconds apart but the light angle makes an impact.
At the end of the day it is something that you are doing, and you should be happy with your efforts, they are looking great to me !!!!! :wavey:

Shadow Wolf 07
March 7th, 2011, 05:55
CK: I see in your screen shot that the OD splash in front of the cockpit is shining. The purpose of that paint was to eliminate glare in the pilot's eyes. Can you conveniently fix that? Just curious... The planes look great!!!

bearcat241
March 7th, 2011, 18:30
That can't be fixed SW...its based on the overall specular of the mdl. You have to dull the entire shine of the mdl to dull that one painted part...and that's not worth losing the total finish. Besides, AG panels never eliminated 100% glare anyway. Note the light sunglare on the AG panel in Seagull's first pic.

Captain Kurt
March 7th, 2011, 18:45
Bearcat hit the nail squarely on the head.

I shined the model a bit more to enhance the silver finish. The shine plays a big role in creating a realistic effect of aluminum with sunlight hitting it. I kept the anti-glare panel in mind and tried to put the shine at a level that gave an acceptable aluminum effect but had as little effect on the olive drab as possible. As with so many things in CFS2, it is a compromise (but as balanced as I could get it)

Stratobat
March 7th, 2011, 19:04
Looking great, Captain Kurt :applause:

I see in your screen shot that the OD splash in front of the cockpit is shining.Anti-glare panels are more satin as opposed to matt in colour. They may start their life out being matt but after a couple of flights they start to develop a little bit of a sheen.

Edit: This is usually climate specific... Lots of salt or dust particles in the air, etc.

Regards,
Stratobat

Pen32Win
March 7th, 2011, 21:30
That is magnifatastic looking CK!:ernae:

TARPSBird
March 8th, 2011, 12:14
Capt. Kurt, I'd say the plane looks pretty good at the shine level you have. Other than the occasional polished plane on the airshow circuit, bare metal planes are seldom so shiny you can shave using the fuselage for a mirror. In combat, dust and surface oxidation would dull an aircraft's skin real quick.

Captain Kurt
March 8th, 2011, 21:18
Thanks all.

TARPSbird pretty well describes what aluminum looks like unless it's polished. I realize the pictures can't show the subtle effects of the different panel shades very well, especially what the shine adds to the visuals. But I think you will find the look to be realistic when the planes are released.

Captain Kurt
March 13th, 2011, 21:04
I got a lot done this weekend on creating the infrastructure I need for the 354th Fight Group campaign I am developing.

I finished the first 354th FG P-51B skin, this one is for Peggy, an early P-51B-5 Mustang from the 355th Squadron based at Boxted. I also finished the prototype Advanced Landing Ground airfield at Lashenden in England and A-2 Cricqueville-en-Bessin, France. Layouts will be added later to give them more life.

I'll do another 6 to 8 skins, a P-51B panel, a new 354th FG campaign UIRES set, and there are 7 more ALG airfields to complete before I can actually start building missions.

Pen32Win
March 13th, 2011, 22:30
Lookin' Good CK. You've been busy too! Can't wait to take Peggy out, she's ....cute ....in an Mustang kind of way....LOL :ernae:

Rami
March 14th, 2011, 20:03
Kurt,

As I said to you on Skype, the pictures are extremely impressive. Well done! :ernae:

Jagdflieger
March 14th, 2011, 23:02
Wow! You have been busy.

Captain Kurt
March 17th, 2011, 23:33

2nd skin for the 354th FG campaign development

mksystem
March 18th, 2011, 06:00
NICE!!:salute: Great work as always.

Sopwith Chameleon
March 18th, 2011, 15:45
That's some real classy work .......:ernae:

Captain Kurt
March 18th, 2011, 21:40
Thank you guys, much appreciated.

Captain Kurt
March 18th, 2011, 22:01
This will be the farmhouse used as HQ at Lashenden ALG

It used to look like this

Jagdflieger
March 18th, 2011, 22:37
Wow! That's quite an improvement.

Robert John
March 19th, 2011, 06:07
Nice texturing.
RJ

Fibber
March 19th, 2011, 06:07
Should send that in to "This Old House!":icon_lol:

Jagdflieger
March 19th, 2011, 10:54
I hope the carpenters didn't charge too much overtime.

Discus
March 19th, 2011, 15:11
Are we having some sort of metamorphosis? In a blink of an eye everything look the same and quite different!!

Looks like my kids. Changing from day to day. If you look at them every day you miss some changes, but if you look from on month to the other... wow. What a change this sim is experimenting!!

Excellent work. Discus

Captain Kurt
March 19th, 2011, 15:28
Thank you all.

I want to give credit to Cess Donker for pointing the way with the textures he used on some of his airfield buildings illustrating to me how the visual effects could be accomplished.

I'm thinking sometime in the future I would like to redo all of the stock inf buildings for the European theater. After the 354th FG Campaign is completed though.

Captain Kurt
March 19th, 2011, 21:58
Although catagorized as an Advanced Landing Ground with the code number A-31, Gael was actually a small French airfield captured on Oct. 10, 1944, and put into operations the next day.

Another airfield for the 354th FG campaign done.

Pen32Win
March 19th, 2011, 22:53
CK;

You're on a Roll partner, keep up the great work.

Rami
March 20th, 2011, 04:43
Captain Kurt,

Amazing job! I combined your other threads for ya as well. :ernae:

Shessi
March 20th, 2011, 05:20
Looking very nice there CK!

ALG tex blends well.

Cheers

Shessi

Captain Kurt
March 20th, 2011, 16:24
Last of the projects for this weekend. The A-66 Orconte Advance Landing Ground is done.

Thanks for all the kind comments.

Captain Kurt
March 27th, 2011, 09:58
Lots more to do before I can start mission building, but the infrastructure and aircraft are going well. Here's this weekend's work so far.

Pen32Win
March 27th, 2011, 15:00
More good stuff CK. You ARE on a Roll!:ernae:

olaf1924
March 27th, 2011, 15:17
CK great looking work! :salute:

Jaxon
March 28th, 2011, 09:33
:jump:

Rami
March 28th, 2011, 09:36
Kurt,

As always, this is splendid work! :salute:

Captain Kurt
March 28th, 2011, 15:44
Thanks all. More on the way.

Captain Kurt
April 2nd, 2011, 16:35
Another P-51D for the 354th FG finished.

olaf1924
April 2nd, 2011, 20:02
A very sweet looking aircraft you have there captain kurt. :salute:

PomBee
April 3rd, 2011, 03:15
Beautiful, CK.

PomBee.:salute::salute::salute:

Rami
April 3rd, 2011, 06:55
Captain Kurt,

Excellent work, I love the metal finish! :ernae:

Captain Kurt
April 3rd, 2011, 14:00
As it appeared in April, 1944. Flown by 2nd Lt. Thomas 'Gnomee' Miller, 356th FS. Shot down by Flak August, 1944, the wounded Lt. Miller was taken POW.

Rami
April 3rd, 2011, 14:37
Captain Kurt,

Excellent work, I love that OD Green! :ernae:

Worthless
April 3rd, 2011, 16:02
Looks great. When can we take her for a spin?

Captain Kurt
April 4th, 2011, 11:33
Thanks. This is another P-51 that will be used in the 354th FG campaign. I have several more skins, 4 more airfields and a new UIRES screens pack to complete before starting production on the missions.

Worthless
April 4th, 2011, 12:08
Oh well. Too bad. Don't know if I'm ready to try the ETO again. Tried it once and never could get the scenery to work. Still, your 9th FS was a blast, so maybe I'll give the ETO another try.

Captain Kurt
April 5th, 2011, 07:00
This was the mount of Maj. Robert. W. Stephens, the C.O. of the 355th FS, 354th FG at A31 Gael, France August, 1944. Another skin done for the campaign development. :running:

Ghostrider
April 5th, 2011, 11:43
Sweet CK, beautiful work! :salute:

tobob
April 5th, 2011, 13:04
She looks 'KILLER' Captain!!!

:salute:

tobob

Captain Kurt
April 5th, 2011, 13:59
This is the Alphasim P-47D-28 in the livery of

Capt. Ken Dahlberg over the advanced landing ground A-98 Rosieres-en-Haye. Both new items for the 354th FG campaign in development. :wiggle:

Pen32Win
April 5th, 2011, 14:04
Aarrghhh Matey, that's a Jug I'd be happy to drink from!!! :ernae:

Rami
April 5th, 2011, 14:22
Captain Kurt,

It looks outstanding, keep it up! :ernae:

Rami
April 5th, 2011, 14:23
Capitain Kurt,

Your artistic skills are beyond question. Outstanding work! :ernae:

Discus
April 5th, 2011, 15:29
CK

If I were a doctor I would prescribe every one should fly this Jug daily to keep their health top notch and their spirits high above the clouds!!:gameon:

Cheers, Discus

Captain Kurt
April 6th, 2011, 13:09
Thank you all gents. More still to come.

Oglivie
April 6th, 2011, 15:08
I am looking forward to more of your excellent work also, Captain! Your work does looks outstanding!

:ernae:

Captain Kurt
April 6th, 2011, 20:43
Here's another new P-47 skin, this one for the 355th FS flown by Lt. Skowronek.

Captain Kurt
April 6th, 2011, 20:49
While I am in the process of updating the Alphasim P-47D I decided I couldn't live with the pilot - looks too much like a cartoon to me. So I decided to give him a make over. Here's the result.

Before

After

Pips
April 6th, 2011, 21:18
Very nice Captain, much more realistic. :)

Captain Kurt
April 6th, 2011, 22:17
Thanks Pips, but on reflection, his mae west reall needed work too.

Here's the final

Sopwith Chameleon
April 7th, 2011, 00:37
:salute: You're on a roll Captain ! :wiggle:

PomBee
April 7th, 2011, 03:11
Gorgeous, awesome and beautiful. Well done, CK.

Worthless
April 7th, 2011, 03:25
Very nice. A big improvement!

olaf1924
April 7th, 2011, 07:14
Captain kurt the new pilot looks fantastic.

Discus
April 7th, 2011, 11:01
I say exactly like worthless: Very needed improvement!!

Rami
April 7th, 2011, 13:22
Captain Kurt,

I concur. Excellent attention to detail! :ernae:

Rami
April 7th, 2011, 13:24
Captain Kurt,

Once again, I love the attention to detail! :salute:

Captain Kurt
April 7th, 2011, 17:57
Thanks folks. I'll get a chance to do some more development work this weekend.

Captain Kurt
April 10th, 2011, 18:04
First of all, thanks to Gramps for permission to modify the FDG2 P-51B.

I redid the P-51B instrument panel this weekend. Panels really takes a lot of work to do. I simply updated the FDG2 panel and they deserve most of the credit for the original work. I had it a a basis to start from and it still took 2 days to do (or maybe that just says something about moi)

Anyway, I updated the instruments to more closely resemble the originals and moved some of them where they belonged. I modified the F6F attitude indicator with a clean bezel to match others on the panel and used it because you can adjust the wing level bug - which you could not do with the original.

I painted in the gear up / down indicator in the lower left because there is no guage like it that I know of. If anyone is able to make guages and would be willing to put in the indicator lights, it would be much appreciated. That is beyond my skill level.

Other additions were moving the cockpit lights to the level they would appear at ( the left light was on the cockpit sidewall on most planes and you would not see it), added detailing to the sight, repainted the defrost vents to better represent their actual size, and added the throttle levers on the left.

I made a new engine control window which also more closely resembles the original layout.

I haven't added a trim package yet, but I probably add it in with the GPS window.

Wow, next I get to do a new panel for the Alpha P-47. Clearly, I'm a masochist.

Discus
April 11th, 2011, 03:53
More improvements! Thanks CK. Next you´ll do a working ground crew?

Cheers, Discus

Ali Cat
April 11th, 2011, 10:57
I’d be more than happy to make this gauge for you. I’m taking it that the artwork for this gauge is yours or you have permission to use it. In that case it will be a quickie big time.

Just to be clear you mean the gauge with 3 dark red lights at the top and 3 black ones at the bottom, right? If so then the following bitmaps are required:

1. The gauge background (everything which does not change).
2. A separate bitmap for each state of each light. Thus if the dark red one turns bright red when on, that’s 2 total for that type. Crop these bitmaps as small as possible but they must be scaled the size you want relative to the gauge background. Each pair should overlay exactly and the transparent border should be set to RGB (0, 0, 0) – goes for the background as well.

If you can’t get to the artwork soon I’m still willing to do it but that would take me longer as the Ju-52 Beta is my priority. I guess you could post the bitmaps here but the PM/E-mail exchange route is OK with me too.

AC

Captain Kurt
April 11th, 2011, 12:35
That is terrifc> :jump::jump::jump::jump::jump:

Please see the attached and let me know if this is how you need it. And yes the artwork is my original. 34960

Ali Cat
April 11th, 2011, 12:53
The artwork is definitely close enough - let me fiddle with it a bit. I'll get back to you soon.

AC

Ali Cat
April 11th, 2011, 17:46
I've got your gauge and it looks good to me after a few quick test. Below are pics with the gear up and then down next to the same stock F6F gauge.

Captain, is it OK with you to attach the new gauge file on this post? I can put a note in the readme with all rights reserved to you and when you're ready to upload you may change it as you see fit.

AC
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/misc/pencil.png

Captain Kurt
April 11th, 2011, 17:55
WOW, THAT WAS FAST.

Sure, it's ok with me to pick it up here. If you write the read me file, be sure to credit yourself!

and THANK YOU! :applause: :applause: :applause:

Ali Cat
April 11th, 2011, 19:01
Here's the file.

To all - the following is in the readme.txt file but just to insure clarity I'll state it here as well (in bold) for this gauge file.

Copyright: "Captain Kurt", SOH member, all rights reserved.

Notes: This gauge file is a prelimanary version. I "Ali Cat" give my permission that "Captain Kurt" may use this file in anyway he deems proper.

AC

Captain Kurt
April 11th, 2011, 20:41
Could not be better. It works great.

Thanks so much.

I'm ignorant when it comes to creating a guage. What tool do you use to make your gauges with?

Ali Cat
April 12th, 2011, 02:09
MS Visual Studio C/C++ 6.0 - its old but it does the trick. Will send the final version then when I get home from work, around 5:00 eastern.

Note, that the lights are set to left, nose, and right gear position (yea, nose - tail did not work). Might be interesting to test it on an A/C where left and right don't retract at the same time.

AC

Ali Cat
April 12th, 2011, 14:22
I've made the final changes for your gear indicator and am ready to attach it here. For the gau file I now have under Properties/Version (tab)/Coments ...

"Copyright Restrictions: AfdP51B.gau is freeware but is to in no way be used for profit." If this is OK with you I'll post it when you give the thumbs up.

Also, as far as whether it is to only be downloaded from SOH (and with your panel of course) or to allow downloads from other sites, I'll let you make that call. Either way is fine with me.

And where are my manners? To finish a project, even just a quickie gauge, in one evening - well it was just the break I needed and really fun as well. It's also rewarding that you were missing a little piece and that I was able to help in my small way.

Thanks and I can't what to give her a test run. It's a very nice looking panel.

AC

Captain Kurt
April 12th, 2011, 21:07
Free is the only way. If you will PM me with an email, I will send a complete updated FDG2 P-51B flight model package and dp with either the P-51B "Gnomee" skin or the P51B Malcolm hood "Beantown Banshee" skin. Your choice with my thanks. :applause::applause:

Ali Cat
April 13th, 2011, 01:23
Sorry for the slow response. Fell asleep after supper yesterday and just woke up - 10 hours! I had worked late the night before (CFS2) and I guess I needed it.

Just to be clear to everyone and especially to protect "Captain Kurt" I am turning over ownership of the file, AldP51B.gau, to "Captain Kurt". The included readme states this also.

Captain, will send PM soon.

AC

Captain Kurt
April 13th, 2011, 21:16
Work is advancing on updating the Alphasim P-47D bubbletop.

I'm in the middle of developing a new cockpit right now. This is the main panel. I still have the engine controls and nav panels to complete, but I thought I would share this much now.

Rami
April 14th, 2011, 04:29
Kurt,

Only one word comes to mind...stunning! :jawdrop:

Captain Kurt
April 14th, 2011, 13:51
Thanks Rami. I thought you were supposed to be staying away until you were feeling better, but I appreciate the response.

I am thinking about adding the sliding canopy side rails to the image to make it look more like the canopy is closed. Hopefully it will feel like you are sitting in the pilot seat when I am done.

Take care and get well. That's an order mister. :salute:

Pips
April 14th, 2011, 14:55
That is spectacular Cap'n. :)

Milton Shupe
April 14th, 2011, 15:31
Beautiful work CK. :applause:

HighGround22
April 14th, 2011, 16:16
First time I've used this overdone word, but that is absolutely "stunning", Kurt!

Rami
April 14th, 2011, 16:49
Thanks Rami. I thought you were supposed to be staying away until you were feeling better, but I appreciate the response.

I am thinking about adding the sliding canopy side rails to the image to make it look more like the canopy is closed. Hopefully it will feel like you are sitting in the pilot seat when I am done.

Take care and get well. That's an order mister. :salute:

Kurt,

Thanks, but I said my presence would be "reduced," not completely absent. And just because I post doesn't mean I'm in bed with my legs up. That's what laptops are for!

Pen32Win
April 14th, 2011, 21:05
CK, you are an artist! Bravo! :ernae:

Captain Kurt
April 14th, 2011, 21:50
Here is the updated main panel with canopy closed.

Rami, just want you to get well man. :mixedsmi:

Thanks everyone for the kind comments !!

Shadow Wolf 07
April 15th, 2011, 17:52
This is outstanding work!

Captain Kurt
April 16th, 2011, 19:14
I added a few visual tweaks to the main panel, and added the controls panel and navigation panel. Glad to be done, this has been a bigger project than what I had at first envisioned, but I think it turned out ok.

I am going to make a few changes on the P-51 panels based on what I learned from this one and then I am done with panels.

I still have a new screen set to make, a few more skins to do and 2 more ALG landing fields to make before I can finally get to the real fun - developing missions for the 354 FG campaign. :running:

olaf1924
April 16th, 2011, 19:27
:applause::applause::applause:Fantastic looking panels Captain Kurt.

Discus
April 17th, 2011, 06:37
Thanks for that panel!! :jump:

It only lacks the smell of a WWII era aircraft!!

Captain Kurt
April 17th, 2011, 09:45
Thanks for that panel!! :jump:

It only lacks the smell of a WWII era aircraft!!

Umm, I'm still working on that one Discus. :wiggle:

Thanks all.

Captain Kurt
April 17th, 2011, 21:54
I spent today reworking my P-51D panel. I wasn't satisfied with it in light of the experience I gained working on the P-47D panel that I just finished. Here's the result. I will go back and rework the engine controls panel as well to incorporate trim controls next.

tobob
April 18th, 2011, 05:01
Captain,

Outstanding work on the P-47 and now the P-51! :applause:

tobob

Captain Kurt
April 18th, 2011, 18:51

Tobob, thanks for the kind response.

Captain Kurt
April 18th, 2011, 20:01
What do you think - too dramatic?

Sopwith Chameleon
April 18th, 2011, 23:49
oooooooooh, no :applause:

watchdog22
April 19th, 2011, 01:07
Very atmospheric and dramatic, I love it

Shadow Wolf 07
April 19th, 2011, 05:09
It looks great!

Rami
April 19th, 2011, 07:29
Captain Kurt,

Excellent work! :salute:

Rami
April 19th, 2011, 07:39
Captain Kurt,

As always, this is outstanding work! Thank you so much! :applause:

Captain Kurt
April 26th, 2011, 19:30
It took awhile to finish the whole set of 36 USAAF campaign screens. Wherever possible, the photos used are from the 354th FG to keep it somewhat historical.

What the heck, it's been kinda quiet lately, so while I obviously can't show you all of them I can do maybe 10 or 12 in a couple posts.

Here's part 1.

bearcat241
April 26th, 2011, 19:37
:icon29: Not bad CK...not bad at all :medals:

Captain Kurt
April 26th, 2011, 19:43
And a few more

Rami
April 27th, 2011, 03:30
Captain Kurt,

This is truly outstanding! I have to tell you...you really bring the "complete campaign experience" to another level entirely. It puts me to shame...:crybaby:

John Pirnie
April 27th, 2011, 05:28
Where can one find the New USAAF screen set ?
Thanks, John

Rami
April 27th, 2011, 06:52

Thanks,
John

John,

Knowing Captain Kurt, it will likely be part of his all-inclusive campaign package.

John Pirnie
April 27th, 2011, 07:58
John,

Knowing Captain Kurt, it will likely be part of his all-inclusive campaign package.

Thanks,Rami

Shadow Wolf 07
April 27th, 2011, 09:36
Looks great! Hope to see it out soon. :salute:

Captain Kurt
April 27th, 2011, 21:02
Here is the completed advanced landing ground Y-64 Ober Olm which was actually a captured Luftwaffe base in Germany. The Pioneer Mustangs flew out of this field during April, 1945.

Captain Kurt
April 27th, 2011, 21:11
Yes these screens are part of the UIRES screen set for the 354th FG campaign and will be released in the package. I may post the aircraft, airfields and this package developed for the campaign separately - at the same time the campaign is released. I suspect some guys may just want one or another without wanting the whole campaign set.

Thanks for the compliments. Rami, I don't think so, I can still learn a lot from how you write your missions. Yours are more sophisticated than my work is.

Finn
April 28th, 2011, 07:35
Wow what a blend with the surroundings - this is photo quality work. I hardly can't wait to see the completed campaign.
Finn:salute:

Pen32Win
April 28th, 2011, 12:02
Another great looking piece of work CK. Like Finn said, I'm really looking forward to your finished product.

Captain Kurt
April 28th, 2011, 12:38
Thanks Gentlemen,

Pen32Win, this was built from one of the layouts you sent me - thank you again for your help.

Jean Bomber
April 28th, 2011, 14:30
Wow what a blend with the surroundings

I Agree :jump::applause:

JP

Discus
April 28th, 2011, 17:35
Your work seems to be getting better by the hour!!

Congratulations!!:salute:

Captain Kurt
April 28th, 2011, 21:51
This is A-65 Perthes, France. This particulare ALG was only used from Oct to December 1944 and then abandoned. Grass would not have grown back during that time.

I am experimenting with something different for the texture look. I'm trying to represent the torn up ground around a quickly built advanced landing ground vs. a texture with green grass blending into the surrounding area.

But I am not sure I like the result, maybe because it just looks different from what I am used to.

I need honest feedback. Does this work or should I pitch it and go back to blending into grass?

Pen32Win
April 28th, 2011, 22:19
OK CK, You asked for it... Where's that Devil's Horn Icon when you need it? LOL

The overall look of it I like. It looks rough like most ALG were. The only thing I don't like about it is the "Stair Step" look if the Taxiways and the dirt around the PSP. It looks like you used a very small background bmp and the pixelation is giving it that blocky look.

Then there's the six trees left standing in the middle of the field. From the many pictures I've seen of ALG's I can't ever remember anything, vegitation wise, left standing in the middle of the field. I think the Dozer Blades would have got them. Then again, there's always that exception out there......

Bottom line, clean up the Stair Steps and I think you've got another winner.:ernae:

Pen32Win
April 28th, 2011, 22:29
Glad I could help partner. You know where to come if you need more.....:ernae:

Shessi
April 28th, 2011, 22:50
Hi CK,
Very nice work, you should put BB after your airfield designations..'Beautifully Blended', looks very natural, spot-on! :applause:

Who's/what ground texs are you using?

Cheers

Shessi

Shessi
April 28th, 2011, 23:02
Hi CK,
Overall looks good, like it. Agree with Pen that there would be little standing, except tents, Quonsets, PSP etc etc.

Re-colour, it depends what type of soil it is. That looks like sandy soil, and if so then pretty good.
You're never going to get sharp ground texs, but maybe try some darker earth colours (freshly dug), instead of that light sandy one, that may mask some of the blocky-ness?

Cheers

Shessi

MaskRider
April 29th, 2011, 00:16
Overall, Captain Kurt, it looks pretty nice.

Did you by any chance use G2K's "linked texture" method to color the ground poly? That can also give you the stair-step pixelated look even when using a larger texture since CFS2 will reduce it to a 256x256 texture anyway. If you are using this method, try dividing your linked-texture ground poly and its associated texture bmp into 4 linked texture(256sq bmps)-polys instead of one

If you are just using the standard texturing method then yes- increasing the texture size should help.

Take pointers from comments already given.

It appears to me that you used a "bottom" layer that already included the grassy splotches- a sandy texture image with speckling of green?

You might try using a texture that includes no green and instead use a very low-density high-hardness erase brush on your alpha channel mask to allow the underlying greenery to show through as regrowing greenery.

Keep up the great work!
MR

Captain Kurt
April 29th, 2011, 06:35
Thanks Shessi,

The texture files are part of Sander de Cocq's "cfs2_eurw_LC_su_BETA4" European Landclass package. Since all of Rami's European campaigns are based on Sander's sceneries, I will use the same Euro setup for the 354th FG campaign. That way a guy only needs one European theater setup to run most of the campaigns for it.

Captain Kurt
April 29th, 2011, 06:41
Thanks for the input. I appreciate it all. I wasn't really happy with the look so I will be trying your suggestions.

Now back to the experiments. If I come up with something that hits the mark, I will go back and re-texture the already completed ALGs. The journey is most of the fun.

Discus
April 29th, 2011, 09:35
CK:

I really like this new look. It looks much more real for a foward base (ALG) than a green lawn texture. For the ground texture colour I (If I knew how and had the time) would use something more brownish, a little darker, like the patch of ground at the left of the picture, under the wing tip.

Again... great work!

Captain Kurt
April 29th, 2011, 11:59
Okay, here is the rework. Is this better or does it still need more work? Please let me know.

Pen32Win
April 29th, 2011, 13:00
Now that's Bloody Good Looking 'ole boy!!!!:salute:

Shessi
April 29th, 2011, 14:59
Very nice!

Looks better for being darker and with clear area...one freshly constructed ALG.

Shessi

Jean Bomber
April 29th, 2011, 15:16
Hi CK,
Oct to December in france are rainny days ,the darker is better than the clear as background.
Nice blend now need to done it dirty as used :jump:

JP

Ravenna
April 29th, 2011, 16:20
:applause::applause::applause::applause:

Jagdflieger
April 29th, 2011, 16:53
I like version two. I'm glad you chopped down the trees next to the runway in V2. I'd surely run into them if you hadn't.

Discus
April 29th, 2011, 18:43
Wow!! Will have to lessen the tire´s pressure on the Norton´s motorcicle to avoid getting stucked in all that mud!!

Be carefull with the spry on take off!!

Captain Kurt
April 29th, 2011, 22:07
Thank you all for the feedback. It sounds like the visual effect is working OK, so I guess I am committed to redoing several of the airfield textures I already had finished. Here's the first, A-66 Orconte, France

36346http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/misc/pencil.png

Captain Kurt
April 30th, 2011, 09:11
Seems like all the trees weren't always taken out though. Here's a combat artist rendering of A-1 Pierre du Mont at Normandy. I also have an aerial photo that matches pretty closely. This is easier to make out where the trees are than the photo.

Shessi
April 30th, 2011, 11:25
Hi CK,
No nit-picking intended, it was just your very first effort had trees very close to the runway.
If you scale the artists pic against your first effort, I think you'll see that your trees were quite close over all.

I think your latest looks very realistic, and you can always vary the tree level/location.

If I was in a fighter (especially), I wouldn't want a tree anywhere near me!! You imagine, getting back safely only to be taken out by a tree!!:icon_eek::isadizzy:

Cheers Shessi

Captain Kurt
April 30th, 2011, 11:41
Shessi,

I do agree with that. The 354th FG's first ace, Lt. Charles Gumm was killed hitting a tree when his engine failed on final. So I've moved the trees away from the runways. I am only noting a historical fact.

Here's the refinished A-98_Rosieres-en-Haye ALG. Note - no trees near the runway :icon_lol:

Cees Donker
April 30th, 2011, 11:44
Looks great CK!

:salute:

Cees

Captain Kurt
May 1st, 2011, 00:12
Thanks Cees.

Here's the final ALG rebuild, A-2 Cricqueville. Don't know why but this one gave me fits getting it to look right. All's well that ends anyway.

Captain Kurt
May 7th, 2011, 13:36
This is the last wartime airfield used by the 354th FG, a former Luftwaffe permanent base built in 1939 and formally home to KG53 Legion Condor. It even had it's own railway line running the perimeter for hauling ammo, bombs and fuel to the storage areas at the field edge. Pen32Win supplied me with a good field layout and I had a couple of photos to help. It's by far the most complex airfield I've done and I learned a lot about building airfields from the effort.

It was captured pretty much intact. There were a lot of hangars and the Group could put most of their P-51s inside, a fact MUCH appreciated by ground crews.

Thanks to Rami for reminding me that creating a GSL for it was how to control the size for MB.

Rami
May 7th, 2011, 14:19
Kurt,

Not a problem at all. It looks fantastic, I can't wait to get my hands on these!

Shadow Wolf 07
May 7th, 2011, 14:35
And I always thought Ansbach was a drink! :ernae: :isadizzy:

Nice work!

Shessi
May 7th, 2011, 15:11
Well CK, you are becoming quite the master at this lark!

Really is a well put together and blended airfield:applause:

Cheers

Shessi

Discus
May 7th, 2011, 16:18
Your creations are getting better every time CK. :applause::applause: You are going to spoil us!

Pen32Win
May 8th, 2011, 18:21
I know that Airfield!!! LOL Good job CK. :ernae:

Captain Kurt
May 8th, 2011, 20:51
Maj. George Lamb, CO of the 356th FS (7.5 confirmed and 2 probables) in his last assigned P-51D, UNO-WHO? buzzing R-45 Ansbach.

Only 2 skins left to complete and then the campaign development begins. :jump:

Shessi
May 9th, 2011, 05:06
Nice work CK!

Good to mix and match, gives a choice and level of realism.

Not your fault or to do with you CK, but seeing that first pic, wouldn't it be great to have detailed grass/ground world scenery tiles. Good skin and structure tex, let down by the ground tex.
Flying around CFS2 ground tex looks good (using FS2002/2004 texs), but close up well.........

Cheers Shessi

Captain Kurt
May 9th, 2011, 19:07
P-51D "Dottie" 355th FS, 1945 - pilot unknown. New AlphaSim Mustang skin for the 354th FG campaign.

sc7500
May 9th, 2011, 19:37
P-51D 355th FS GQ-V "Dottie" (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/page.php?lloc=downloads&loc=downloads&page=info&FileID=11221) (155) Flight Simulator 2004 (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/page.php?lloc=downloads&loc=downloads&page=downloads&FileType=fs2k4) (Re-Paint (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/page.php?lloc=downloads&loc=downloads&page=downloads&Category=paints&FileType=fs2k4)) http://www.sim-outhouse.com/site/images/blank.gif http://www.sim-outhouse.net/soh_ftp/fs2k4/GQV.jpg (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/#download) JK_GQVDottie.zip (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/#download) (9.5 Meg) (downloaded 99 times) P-51D 44-63649(?) was assigned to Lt Robert E. Emme of the 355th FS. The aircraft was destroyed in an accident. It had just received a new engine and Lt. Emme was making a test flight as was required. As he was approaching the field to prepare for landing the throttle cable let loose and he was unable to throttle back. It was decided to make a dead stick landing and the runway was to be cleared. He turned off the switches on his approach. He then realized the runway had not been cleared. To continue would be a disaster and he was to low to bailout. He made the decision to raise the gear and belly the plane just off to the side of the runway. The wreckage was later dynamited. Repaint for the Shockwave Mustang by Jan Kees Blom, based on the paintkit by John Terrell.

PomBee
May 10th, 2011, 02:56
Looking very nice, CK. Well done.

Captain Kurt
May 10th, 2011, 10:50
Maybe, but I can't see the attachments etc. Sounds like it could be though.

Discus
May 11th, 2011, 13:14
Thanks Shessi. A clog in my brain wouldn´t let me remember.

Thanks SC for the link. Very interesting.

It reminds me of a film called "Escape to Victory" with the great Pelé, Pepe´s fellow countryman, and Osvaldo "Ossie" Ardiles, a fellow countryman of mine, both real life professional football players that played for their countries national football team, acting POW that play a football (soccer) match as Allied vs Germans.

John Pirnie
May 13th, 2011, 05:30
Thanks, John

Has the new UIRES been uploaded yet? I still have not been able to fine them
Thanks, John

Robert John
May 14th, 2011, 04:30
I often thought of the people that enjoy hobbies like I do who have not got internet connections or very slow ones.I have thought of making a magazine with uploads on disk with tutorials etc like pc pilot.I can download and send by snail mail as I do not know how to share my broadband connection with anyone.

Captain Kurt
May 14th, 2011, 07:02
Kelti,

How can I refuse a request like that?

I''ve had so many requests to release the parts and pieces of the campaign separately that I have decided to do so - the packages for the redeveloped P-51D, P51B, and P-47D aircraft, The UIRES set, the ALG airfields, and the inf buildings repaints.

I am setting up a virgin ETO install of CFS2 to make sure everything works as it should and then will start releasing these packages. A couple of weeks or so.

Thanks for the compliments guys. The texture for this hangar started from actual photographs, except for the doors, which were inspired by Gary20s work.

Captain Kurt
May 14th, 2011, 12:52
Not yet John. It still has to be tested to make sure it all works within a campaign. Sometime in the next few weeks though.

John Pirnie
May 14th, 2011, 17:40
Not yet John. It still has to be tested to make sure it all works within a campaign. Sometime in the next few weeks though.

Thank you, John

Ali Cat
May 15th, 2011, 06:37
Jeez - do you have a day job too?

But seriously, your work of late has been both prodigious and wonderful.

I have had the bug in your gauge fixed for some days. As I bailed and coded around the problem and it, incidentally, took a few lines of real coding, just had to live with it for a while. I will send it today.

Again Captain - great stuff,
AC

Captain Kurt
June 11th, 2011, 01:29
Someone pointed out that the paint scheme I did for the FW190F-8 was ID'd as most likely from SG10, which was in Czechoslovakia in 1945. So this unit would not have encountered the 354th FG which was operating in France and southern Germany.

So I have done another skin for an aircraft found abandoned at Neubiberg in Southern Germany at the end of the war. The unit it was assigned to is not known. One source says SG2, but they were nowhere near Neubiberg at the end of the war. So it is an anonymous plane operating in the right local; perfect for a target. :icon_lol:

Seagull V
June 11th, 2011, 04:19
Interesting site for Fw-190 schemes:-
http://www.asisbiz.com/Fw-190A.html

Jagdflieger
June 11th, 2011, 06:31
Nice find on the new textures Captain. I don't think that I've seen that style of camo on a Luftwaffe plane before.

Thanks for the link Seagull. Lots of info there.

Captain Kurt
June 11th, 2011, 10:39
Seagull V, that is quite a site - thanks for the link.

Jagd, the scheme is from a KommaDeur Decals sheet - KD4807Ff - "Odds and Ends 1944/45". Towards the end of the war, the FW190s were being produced in pieces at scattered shadow factories and then assembled elsewhere. Some parts were painted with whatever paint was at hand, some were delivered with no paint, and the ground crews applied whatever paint they had in the field to give some kind of camouflage to their aircraft. The underside of this plane is a mix of bare metal and camouflage paint. It was very chaotic and this is a good example. I thought it would be a good choice on several levels. Here's a photo of a model finished with the decals.

Rami
June 11th, 2011, 12:06
Kurt,

This is another outstanding example. Thanks!

Captain Kurt
June 11th, 2011, 21:38
I am having a hard time finding appropriately marked aircraft for the 354th FG campaign - especially Luftwaffe. I couldn't find a day Zerstorer from a western front unit, so here is yet another new skin. This time a Bf110G-2 from 5.ZG/1 stationed in Germany - early 1944. This unit took several beatings from 354th FG Mustangs escorting B-17 raids.

Pen32Win
June 11th, 2011, 22:07
CK;

Very Cool. This project of yours is going to take the ETO to a whole new level, Bravo!!! :ernae:

Pen32Win
June 11th, 2011, 22:29
CK;

That's a really unique skin and will be great for late '44/early '45. I like it!!!

It almost looks like a mix between the late war camo you see in units like JG 300 and the Green and Tan camo found on the Eastern Front in units like JG 54.

Thanks for the link SG, some very good reading to be had at that site.

Rami
June 12th, 2011, 03:37
Kurt,

What aircraft did you use? The Groundcrew model?

http://www.regshanger.com/Groundcrew/homepage/CFS2/aircaft/110G2/Ground%20Crew%20Bf%20110%20for%20CFS2.php

Jagdflieger
June 12th, 2011, 08:06
I just installed a new ETO installation in anticipation of your magnus opus.