PDA

View Full Version : Controlling 3 Engines

TeaSea
March 19th, 2011, 13:04
This is something I've never quite resolved to my satisfaction. How best to configure a joystick to manage 3 engines?

I've a Saitek AV8R, which allows for easy control of two engine aircraft, but running around with the Ford Tri-Motor or Junkers 52 is problematic....

I'm just looking for less clumsy ideas of how different forum users are doing this.

Thanks!

Pepere
March 19th, 2011, 13:22
This might help. I have this one and it works good and can be assigned to any axis. I use it for Cowl flaps, Mixture etc.... type set up.

http://www.fspilotshop.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_16&products_id=1264

David

glennc
March 19th, 2011, 21:10
TeaSea,

I have the same problem with my Logitech G940 with any aircraft, except A2A, that has more than two engines. The A2A B-17 has a config tool that allows assigning one throttle to left side engines, one to the right side. But, that doesn't help for anything else (like the CR1 TriMotor) and switching the controller config back and forth is a pain. About all you can do, short of the package David suggests, is assign one throttle to all engines.

Glenn

Alan_A
March 19th, 2011, 21:39
There's also a feature in the most recent versions of FSUIPC that allows you to assign throttle 1 to engines 1 and 2, and throttle 2 to engines 3 and 4 (just like the A2A setup); you can also assign throttle 1 to engines 1 and 2, and throttle 2 to engine 3 for 3-engine control on a two-axis throttle. I'm not sure if it provides for prop and mixture control - I've never tried it - but as compromise solutions go, it's pretty good. You can set up different profiles for different aircraft. Registered/paid FSUIPC required, of course.

AndyE1976
March 20th, 2011, 05:48
The CH Throttle Quadrant is pretty good, with 6 axis you can configure for 1-4 engines.