PDA

View Full Version : It's 1967 and a group called "Love" is on the L.A. underground FM radio stations

Pauke! Pauke!
March 18th, 2011, 19:36
Arthur Lee the talented frontman for "Love." Story has it that Jac Holzman of Elektra Records signed and recorded Jim Morrison and the Doors as a result of dialogue between Arthur Lee and him when "Love" and "The Doors" were both booked at the Whisky A Go Go in L.A. Ah.... but I wax nostalgic.

7yVBMUXr4xo

ftO9ClIhFAo

http://www.cinetropic.com/janeloisemorris/interview/holzman/index.html

Pauke! Pauke!
March 18th, 2011, 20:52
Here's a couple more songs that were playing on those, so called L.A. underground FM stations about a year later.

kkVjd1fJMME

1Cin0QzuEss

tonybones2112
March 18th, 2011, 21:15
"Oh won't you please, come back
I took out every pretty girl in town..."

b52bob
March 18th, 2011, 22:56
they danced with me...
and as I held them...
all I did was talk and talk about you....
hear your name and I start to cry...
there's just no getting over you.

Don't forget songs like "Message to Pretty" Used to do it solo.

We also used to do "Alberta" in the band I was in.

God Bless Arthur Lees's soul.

TARPSBird
March 19th, 2011, 18:22
"White Bird" is still a great song. :)

EasyEd
March 19th, 2011, 20:11
Hey All,

1967 - The Summer of love. Haight Ashbury. It all started with this one -

bch1_Ep5M1s&feature=related

Even the Supreme Court got into it - as sung about by Roy.

xQWrasoNS24

We owe much to 1967.

-Ed-

TARPSBird
March 19th, 2011, 23:05
Scott McKenzie's "San Francisco" was the theme song of my ship, USS Coral Sea (CVA-43), back in 1968-70 before the liberal lefties took over in San Fran and the city was still pro-military. The ship was homeported at NAS Alameda, right across the bay.

Pauke! Pauke!
April 1st, 2011, 13:51
Certainly, Scott McKenzie's "San Francisco" became a theme song for what became known as the "summer of love" Peace, Love, Dove... Man! I always thought that Eric Burdon and the Animals also had a good tribute to San Franciso. Don't forget Grace Slick and The Jefferson Airplane's album "Surealistic Pillow." The album was released in February of 1967 and is considered to be the first blockbuster psychedelic album by a band from San Francisco.

As far as I know Alameda, Mare Island and the Naval Weapons Station at Concord are still operational. The Army closed Fort Ord in the 1990's and I think Treasury Island was also closed around the same time. California could probably use the jobs and income that military bases bring. They still have some big complexs left in San Diego and Oceanside.

dmIy7Ch4M84

Q1cfTMdjkYM

Here's also more of those songs that seemed to always be on those L.A. FM stations a few years later.

IAHODyEpm2w

DyoknbvXlwM

Willy
April 1st, 2011, 14:14
Alameda closed in the mid to late 90s. Mare Island is closed and Concord is either closed or is being closed.

Pauke! Pauke!
April 1st, 2011, 14:44
Willy, I stand corrected. I've been in the area since the closures and have seen the "Moth-Balled" fleet in the Suisan Bay and the U.S.S Hornet at Alameda but from afar, like the Oakland Bay Bridge and Benicia-Martinez Bridge. I just assumed they were still active, not museums as a googling just informed me. I guess it's like the Detroit area and other large Eastern cities in the U.S. I've been in recently, the mills and the factories are still standing but they have been closed for years.