PDA

View Full Version : If Airbus is found Guilty

Dangerousdave26
March 17th, 2011, 12:52
Who goes to jail and for how long?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12777474

Lazerbrainz2k3
March 17th, 2011, 13:06
Oh, great. So in the current climate of judicial systems around the world referencing one another, and in the absence of a manslaughter statute of limitations (at least in the US), are we now going to have trials for every aerospace accident going back to the Wright brothers?

In the apparent absence of definitive evidence of guilt either with the crew, the airline, or anyone in the manufacturer, this sounds pretty ridiculous.

txnetcop
March 17th, 2011, 13:33
No black box...that is going to make for a very shaky prosecution...
Ted

stiz
March 17th, 2011, 13:54
just a waste on money for everyone involed, nothing can be prooved or disprooved :monkies:

pfflyers
March 17th, 2011, 15:30
After a lengthy investigation into the Concorde crash the French prosecutors charged Continental Airlines management, the mechanic who installed the suspect wear strip, his supervisor, and the inspector who bought it off with manslaughter.

As far as I know none have been tried, although if I was any one of them I wouldn't vacation in Paris.

I think they might have even charged some of those who designed and maintained the Concorde.

Kiwikat
March 17th, 2011, 15:46
are we now going to have trials for every aerospace accident going back to the Wright brothers?

Uh that accident wasn't even two years ago...... :kilroy:

I agree with Ted though. No black box == no case.

Tracon
March 17th, 2011, 17:46
This case will start as manslaughter against Airbus, and end as a very public statement to the Aviation community. The question is not whether "an example" will be made, rather, if one should be made.

In reply to Kiwikat: I believe there is more than enough evidence to make a good case here.

Then again I'm not absolutely up-to-date on this.

What do I think? Scratch the whole thing. Spend the total resources on more investigation, research, and development.

Bloody thing is a waste of my time. FREE AIRBUS.

stansdds
March 18th, 2011, 02:21
Up to now these sorts of cases usually resulted in a huge financial penalty, with most of the money going to the lawyers and the plaintiffs getting a small amount for their pain and suffering. Adding man slaughter makes it a whole new ball game. I agree, without the black box there are too many unknowns and proving the case would be next to impossible. Then again, depending on the jury, you just never know.

txnetcop
March 18th, 2011, 08:49
The problem is all the evidence would be circumstantial, and while awards have been made on circumstantial cases we are talking man-slaughter. The prosecution will have to show premeditated or at least accidental manslaughter beyond the shadow of any reasonable doubt by Airbus employees....no black box no conviction. A bunch of good defense lawyers can easily disassemble this case. It is a ridiculous waste of time and money! This is a no-brainer
Ted