PDA

View Full Version : If ever there was a time when I needed FS Recorder

OBIO
March 16th, 2011, 21:39
I was just up for some flight time in the Alpha Supermarine Swift FR-5. Love that British beauty! Had my headset on with Windows Media Player tuned into an old school R&B internet radio station...She's A Brick House!...and was jamming to some REAL music while flying around Britain. I saw an airport off in the distant....so I figured I do a touch and go as I haven't flown the Swift lately. Got myself lined up on approach, hit the / key to deploy the speed brakes....forgetting that the Swift did not come with that option. I was coming in way too hot and could not get the bird to slow down enough to sink onto the runway. So, as I got to the end of the run way and still about 20 feet in the air, I went full power and pulled up. Took the Swift into a broad loop and as the runway came back into view below me...while I was inverted...I pulled back on the trottle and rolled the plane upright. Applied full flaps....which in real life would have been a bad move...and went in at a nice nose down attitude toward the runway. Even with power pulled back to zip, gear deployed and full flaps...I could not get the Swift to stop being so...well, swift. So I pulled the stick back to my gut to get the nose into an unnaturally high attitude....that bleed off some speed real quick. But the plane stalled on me....and started sinking left wing first. So.....keeping my cool and relying on my extensive training as a cartoon plane pilot...I waited until the ground was just a few dozen feet below me, then went full right stick....which leveled the plane out for a three point touch down....a pretty hard 3 point touch down. As the Swift was in the middle of its third bounce, I thought "What would Willy, TarpsBird and Smoothie say if they saw me pull that stunt on the flight server?" I had to laugh at my stoopid flying...but it worked...this time.

OBIO

Desert Rat
March 17th, 2011, 11:34
Reminds me of an old story of, I think, P-39 pilots in WWII, they would fly down the runway balls-to-the-wall, loop, invert and land in the opposite direction to which they arrived. Gutsy stuff, but a quick way to get down, no slow approach with the dangers of being bounced by the enemy at the worst moment.

Good flying dude,
Jamie